Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Books??

Default Training Books??

It's been a long time since I have trained a retriever and we are about to get a new Boykin puppy. What is the best book out there for training a puppy. I'd like to, at least, start off correctly. I used Water Dog last time.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Lots of people say it is outdated, but I like Water Dogs.

But since it is a Boykin, check with Griffin.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I heard someone once wrote a book on training Boykins, but they could only get it published as fiction. Ba-da-bump.

I used Water Dog on my lab, and he turned out alright. In the dove field, I only have to yell at him 4 or 5 times before he comes back, usually with someone else’s bird. They have a DVD in the same title that has a few updates that was nice for visuals.
    Last edited by wskinner; 10-03-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Best Boykin training book.

Younger the better.

I keed, I keed.

Water dog is great.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Water dog is outdated.

Look at the smart works program available via books or dvd's, gets a lot of good reviews. Or check out the cornerstone gundog academy, I'm a member and it has been a tremendous program.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Not a book, but I really like Duck Dog Basics by Chris Akin. Its basically how to train a "meat" dog. If you are looking for a more polished retriever than ignore my response.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Not a book, but I really like Duck Dog Basics by Chris Akin. Its basically how to train a "meat" dog. If you are looking for a more polished retriever than ignore my response.
    Honestly, this dog will probably never do any more than pick up doves. So, basic skills is all I really need to train for.

Some of yall are funny. I did have one guy tell me that if I get a Boykin, the book I will need the most is The Bible. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Honestly, this dog will probably never do any more than pick up doves. So, basic skills is all I really need to train for.

Some of yall are funny. I did have one guy tell me that if I get a Boykin, the book I will need the most is The Bible. LOL
    Sounds like what you might be looking for. Look him up on the youtube. He has a bunch of videos.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

JBK is right. That video should help you out a lot. But I would also do some reading on positive training methods for things like basic obedience. It keeps training fun and the dogs desire to learn very high. Should be plenty of youtube videos out there.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Smart works by Evan graham

a good training book for understanding how the methods you are doing work is "Don't shoot the dog" by Karen Pryor. Anybody that asks me, whether family pet or hunting dog, i tell them to read the book. It really makes you be intentional about how you go about training, and why the "cook book" approach works and how you can screw it up. I still go back and read this book once a year.

I have Duck Dog Basics by Chris Akin. It's solid.

Let me look when I get home, if I can find it I'll mail it to you
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I have Duck Dog Basics by Chris Akin. It's solid.

Let me look when I get home, if I can find it I'll mail it to you
    That would be great!

I’m pretty sure I have duck dog basicas as well. Let me know if other ways fall through. Also have the book wild rose way that is the positive reinforcement way. I’d let you borrow either as I plan on getting more dogs in the future and would want them back. And I should be in Litchfield weekend of 26 so could drop off then.
    Last edited by theoldblackdog; 10-03-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Charles Jurney's book

I am very interested in the positive training methods. Seems like a better idea, if they work. I will certainly try it that way. Obviously, basic obedience will be first.

Bill Hillman videos

As this thread is evidence, you ask 10 people and you'll get 11 different answers. Mike Lardy, Evan Graham, Bill Hillman, Chris Akin are all great trainers with good programs. I think the key is to find one you feel comfortable with and stick with it.
    Last edited by Quack07; 10-03-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    As this thread is evidence, you ask 10 people and you'll get 11 different answers. Mike Lardy, Evan Graham, Bill Hillman, Chris Akin are all great trainers with good programs. I think the key is to find one you feel comfortable with and stick with it.
    I'm right and you're wrong.

I live in Socastee, be glad to help you out with the dog.
    Mike