Thread: A few teal season take aways

Default A few teal season take aways

I didn't pull the trigger in three teal trips. It just re-enforces my belief that a hurricane really moves teal out of SC. I do know some folks that killed birds but I only saw seven bwt and all of them were prior to shooting time.

The hurricane sanitized the skies of other birds not just teal. I chased a few reported "hurricane birds" but not only didn't see them I didn't see some birds that are usually pretty common this time of year.

My favorite "take away" from the 2018 teal season...I blew the focus so did some photoshop sharpening but the colors are straight out of the camera. I love the light color of a fall sunrise. It's a male Common Yellowthroat (a warbler that is pretty common in SC in summer and we usually have a few that over winter too).

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Gorgeous pic!

I'm curious, how was the habitat where you were teal hunting? Was it affected by the storm or flooding?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Gorgeous pic!

I'm curious, how was the habitat where you were teal hunting? Was it affected by the storm or flooding?
    Twice on coastal marshes and once on a very freshwater river (you probably guessed that from the grass in the warbler photo).

BTW - Twice I had small flocks of wood ducks throw out the air brakes and do a 180 to land in the decoys after hitting them with a teal call. I've never seen woodies respond so forcefully to any call. I might have to try that during the regular season. (I don't usually carry a teal call after September).

Folks say spinners / splashers spook Mottled ducks too. I had 5 in the decoys with my buddies splasher going.

I'll have to try the BWT call on the woodies this Fall!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

You take some really great photos.What kind of camera and lenses do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Twice on coastal marshes and once on a very freshwater river (you probably guessed that from the grass in the warbler photo).

BTW - Twice I had small flocks of wood ducks throw out the air brakes and do a 180 to land in the decoys after hitting them with a teal call. I've never seen woodies respond so forcefully to any call. I might have to try that during the regular season. (I don't usually carry a teal call after September).
    what teal call you using

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    what teal call you using
    It's a Duck Commander. I've got a couple of others but the DC sounds best.

Nice pics gents.
    Genesis 9;2

Great pics!

That's a black duck
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    That's a black duck
    my bad.

hahahahahahahahaha

Posers
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I do think the Hurricane had a big impact

I saw two "big" groups the first weekend in August while fishing, which surprised me. Things emptied out during/after the hurricane, and numbers slowly built up at the end of the season, where I was anyway. Good pictures.