Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toofer....check out Rogan's recent podcast

Dawhoo, I'm curious....have you listened to the podcast?

Toofer....so the material you are confident in "quantifies a plant based diet to be the most healthy?" Assuming I have that right, I guess you should send it on for me to read.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

IF less disease and longer life is your definition of "health."
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Last edited by 2thDoc; 10-08-2018 at 02:54 PM.

You pushed that one out a while back but I'll read it again since I obviously missed the proof the last time. I remember it being long so it might be a day or so before I get through it.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 10-08-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

This site is amazing! I have never before had the fantastic opportunity to see so many nutritional experts and doctors on one site before!
    I'm overwhelmed at all the information spouted within. And they say not to "believe everything you read on the internet". PHOOY! Look at all the stuff written here. The New England Journal of Medicine could not do a better job!!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

What's the next bitcoin move, Lab? Or maybe I should ask Mergie to ask Q to ask Trump?
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 10-08-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Rubberhead

All the octogenarians I know eat a balanced diet of meats, vegetables, fruits, and grains. I’ve never heard any of them talk about being on a paleo, Atkins, Vegan, no banana pudding with nilla wafers diet. That, along with genetics, is the key to a long, happy life. But y’all keep stressing about what the best thing to eat is. I hear that stress is great for your health.
    Last edited by wskinner; 10-08-2018 at 03:46 PM.

The only people stressed about this is toof and fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The only people stressed about this is toof and fish.
    negative, ghost rider.

but now that someone mentioned that Q fella, I'm getting a bit anxious....

i think we would be in a better place if we didnt name every "diet." I would think (and have said before) that my idea of the proper things to eat and Glenn's (and stripa's idea) are way closer than you might think. its really about grains and the amount of protein derived from meats.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i think we would be in a better place if we didnt name every "diet." I would think (and have said before) that my idea of the proper things to eat and Glenn's (and stripa's idea) are way closer than you might think.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    its really about grains and the amount of protein derived from meats.
    Please elaborate before Q gets to ya. You've been saying some stripa-esque treasonous sounding shit about him lately.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 10-08-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Rubberhead

Gotta wait for the "drops", bro. It's what WE'VE all known for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    Dawhoo, I'm curious....have you listened to the podcast?.
    More than half and likely finish on way and from work tomorrow. Great debate. I fall in the middle of the two.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    More than half and likely finish on way and from work tomorrow. Great debate. I fall in the middle of the two.
    You seem open minded enough to get something out of it.

Rubberhead

But you're gonna argue like hell with me when I tell you what they say and don't say.

Rubberhead

I'm now speechless.....

Vegan & Plant-based Diets and Heart Disease
    CLEVELAND HEARTLAB DECEMBER 28, 2017 DIET, HEART ATTACK AND STROKE

Simple Diet Advice for Heart Health in 2018
    The evidence for the heart-healthy effects of vegan, vegetarian, and plant-based diets in general just keeps getting stronger. New studies suggest that adopting the principals of plant-based diets could be a smart way to start the New Year.

Researchers at New York University School of Medicine recently pitted vegan diets against the diet recommended by the American Heart Association (AHA). It allows limited amounts of lean meat, eggs, and low-fat dairy along with abundant vegetables, fruits, nuts, and legumes. Vegans shun all animal-based foods, including meat, fish, eggs, and dairy.

Over the course of the study, those observing a vegan diet saw a 20 percent drop in the concentrations of high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), an important marker for chronic inflammation, compared to those on the AHA diet. The study was small, comprised of about 100 people, so more research is needed. Still it points to significant benefits from emphasizing fruits, vegetables and other plant foods in the diet.

Plant-based diets came out ahead in another recent analysis by researchers at the Icahn School of Medicine at New York’s Mt. Sinai Hospital. The study involved more than 15,000 people with no known heart problems and compared five dietary patterns. These included:

Convenience (red meats, pastas, fried potatoes, fast food)
    Plant-based (dark green, leafy vegetables, fruits, beans, fish)
    Sweets (desserts, breads, sweet breakfast foods, chocolate, candy)
    Southern (eggs, fried food, organ meats, processed meats, sugar-sweetened beverages)
    Alcohol/salads (salad dressings, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, wine, butter, liquor).
    The intriguing results: Those who adhered to a plant-based diet had a 42 percent decreased risk for heart failure over the study’s four years, compared to those eating fewer plant foods, even after adjusting for the effects of age, sex, race, and other risk factors. Those following other dietary patterns saw no such reduction.

While more people are turning to plant-rich diets, a recent study from the Harvard School of Public Health serves as a reminder that you can eat a plant-based diet and still not eat optimally. In the study, researchers divided up participants—approximately 210,000 people—into categories based on how closely they adhered to a plant-based diet and also compared people who ate more of the healthiest plant foods (whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and nuts) with those who ate more of the least healthy plant foods (sugary beverages, refined grains, sweets, and potatoes). People in the healthiest plant-based diet group were 25 percent less likely to develop heart disease over the next 20 years than those who ate the least-healthy version.

The take home: Commit to a plant-based regime in 2018 to improve your heart’s health. And remember, the higher the quality of plant foods on your plate, the greater the cardiovascular benefits.

From all of us at the Cleveland HeartLab, best wishes for a happy—and healthy—New Year!

Tags
    Diet
    Food
    Heart Health
    Plant-based diet
    Veganism
    SHARE THIS BLOG POST
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 10-08-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Rubberhead

If you don't chill out with this diet stuff you're die from estrogen poisoning

Hahahaha.... fair point

Rubberhead

No shit. You eat up with it stripa. Enjoy life and eat what you think your body needs. Your body will tell you.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    No shit. You eat up with it stripa. Enjoy life and eat what you think your body needs. Your body will tell you.
    I don’t disagree. The problem with our society is people don’t listen when their bodies are yelling at them.

I’m more uncertain about dietary intake than I’ve ever been. A lot of what I do with my eating habits goes against a lot of conventional wisdom, but I feel good, I’m in pretty good shape, and I have good dumps, which is a highly underrated sign of good health, in my opinion. I may not wake up in the morning, so who knows if what I’m doing has any merit.

I’m not smart enough to know what’s best. What I do know, and what any moron can see, is we have WAY too many overweight people in our country. Your granddaddy may have lived to be 98 while smoking cigars and drinking bourbon everyday after eating his Hardee’s biscuits, but he was an outlier. And outide of being an outlier, he probably ate a lot of good foods and was constantly walking, tinkering, etc.

I am constantly amazed by the vast numbers of people with young kids who are bad examples on a daily basis. Children under the age of 10 are the first generation IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD whose life expectancy is less than their parents, and its almost 100% attributable to diet. That is criminal.

Your diet is your choice. You can educate yourself on it as much or as little as you choose. I just want people to take care of themselves so their children have someone who will be there for them and be able to do things with them. I’m 42 and I’ve known far too many people in their 40s or younger who’ve abandoned their children via heart attacks. The numbers are even greater for those who are too out of shape to be truly interactive with their kids.

Obesity and poor eating habits have wrecked our healthcare system. Sadly, I don’t think the lobbyists will ever let us “fix” things. The food and pharmacuetical companies are making too much money.
    Last edited by Tigerbdog; 10-08-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I'm now speechless.....

Vegan & Plant-based Diets and Heart Disease
    CLEVELAND HEARTLAB DECEMBER 28, 2017 DIET, HEART ATTACK AND STROKE

Simple Diet Advice for Heart Health in 2018
    The evidence for the heart-healthy effects of vegan, vegetarian, and plant-based diets in general just keeps getting stronger. New studies suggest that adopting the principals of plant-based diets could be a smart way to start the New Year.

Researchers at New York University School of Medicine recently pitted vegan diets against the diet recommended by the American Heart Association (AHA). It allows limited amounts of lean meat, eggs, and low-fat dairy along with abundant vegetables, fruits, nuts, and legumes. Vegans shun all animal-based foods, including meat, fish, eggs, and dairy.

Over the course of the study, those observing a vegan diet saw a 20 percent drop in the concentrations of high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), an important marker for chronic inflammation, compared to those on the AHA diet. The study was small, comprised of about 100 people, so more research is needed. Still it points to significant benefits from emphasizing fruits, vegetables and other plant foods in the diet.

Plant-based diets came out ahead in another recent analysis by researchers at the Icahn School of Medicine at New York’s Mt. Sinai Hospital. The study involved more than 15,000 people with no known heart problems and compared five dietary patterns. These included:

Plant-based (dark green, leafy vegetables, fruits, beans, fish)

(edited the rest out)

What plant is fish from?