Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toofer....check out Rogan's recent podcast

Default Toofer....check out Rogan's recent podcast

Where the cardiologist turned lifestyle medicine practitioner/anti meat evangelist is debating Chris Kresser.

I doubt you 'podcast' but this is pretty high quality stuff.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I saw that one but haven't listened to it yet.

just let me know who "wins". granted, just like the (R) and (D) phenomenon, you tend to agree with one more than the other...

and congrats on making healthy choices blah blah blah
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

While they are definitely in two "camps" I said high quality. Much unlike any D and R discussions these days where the participants are looking to headline some click bait with "destroy" in the headline.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I have almost finished it. In some ways, I’m more confused than ever. That’s probably due to my simple and rattled brain. I do have a much more cynical approach to things as I’ve aged, so I find it a little disconcerting that Kahn has practiced his ways since the age of 18 (42 years). As a general rule, we tend to find stats and studies that back our thoughts when we’re so invested in something. Kresser has practiced different approaches and I do believe his curiosity drives him to find the best way of life.

I would love to hear what Glenn and 2th think if they listen.

no, you dont. I'd be confused, too....

I find it impossible to believe that eating a pound of bacon and 6 eggs for breakfast could be healthy. Mainly because bacon tastes so damn good.

Eating a lb. of bacon is not good for you and I don't care what anybody says. 4 months ago my blood sugar was 136 and A1C was 6.1. Made up my mind no drugs for this ol boy. Last week it was 76 and 5.2. Tennis 3-5 days a week, no bread or rice. Fruit and nuts, wheatgerm for breakfast and dinner about 2ish and no evening meals. A few beers for Kav out of respect for the way he has been treated and only lost 4 lbs. Yall get some of that.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

That's awesome stuff, Dr. Duck. Add some bacon and let us know what happens.

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    I have almost finished it. In some ways, I’m more confused than ever. That’s probably due to my simple and rattled brain. I do have a much more cynical approach to things as I’ve aged, so I find it a little disconcerting that Kahn has practiced his ways since the age of 18 (42 years). As a general rule, we tend to find stats and studies that back our thoughts when we’re so invested in something. Kresser has practiced different approaches and I do believe his curiosity drives him to find the best way of life.

I would love to hear what Glenn and 2th think if they listen.
    The studies Kresser cites are more detailed and complete and take into account multiple factors that drive health. Kahn is hung up on the 60 year old lipid hypothesis and even the new studies he cites only look at that one variable, fat, and dismiss all other factors. But Kahn has decades invested in this mantra and within the first 90 minutes gets defensive and dismissive of any counter arguments. That being said I'm only about 1/3 of the way through. Good discussion for sure.
    Last edited by Glenn; 10-02-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Screw that pod cast and screw trying to explain the obviousness of this reality to anyone, especially 2oofer.

In small group the other night, the collective understanding of energy in energy out, bread is good, fat is bad, commonly held stupidity came up in conversation. I love these guys and I'm NOT going to tell them shit about how this works.

Let me guess... the guy has a book out...

As long as you avoid processed foods and refined sugars you will be healthy.... but only only way to truly back up any claim or something over another is through the scientific method . Large well designed studies all see to have the same result a plant based diet with around 15-25 percent lean protein and whole grains has proven superior both at the biochemical level and for longevity and disease prevention.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Pretty much sums it up. Processed anything is NOT good. Hard not to eat anymore without it but.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    a plant based diet with around 15-25 percent lean protein and whole grains has proven superior both at the biochemical level and for longevity and disease prevention.
    Post up the supporting data.

MACRONUTRIENTS — Macronutrients are the chemical compounds consumed in the largest quantities and provide bulk energy. The three primary macronutrients include carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Fiber can also be considered a macronutrient [6].

Carbohydrate — Carbohydrates should make up 45 to 65 percent of total caloric intake, as recommended by the United States Dietary Guidelines [6]. Both the quantity and type of carbohydrate (eg, whole-grain versus refined-grain) have differential effects on postprandial glucose levels and glycemic index. Several prospective studies have associated diets high in glycemic index with risk of developing type 2 diabetes mellitus, coronary heart disease, and some cancers. Glycemic index for common foods are available in the table (table 2). One important way of achieving a healthy diet is to replace carbohydrates having a high glycemic index (eg, white rice, pancakes) with a low glycemic index (eg, fruits, vegetables).

Added sugars should be limited and comprise no more than 10 percent of total calories consumed [6]. These sugars often come from sweetened beverages and almost all processed foods. If a large percentage of calories comes from added sugars, it may be difficult for patients to meet their nutritional needs within caloric limits. Naturally occurring sugars (eg, from fruit or milk) are not considered added sugars. However, fruit juice should still be limited to small daily amounts, if any, as it tends to be high in calories without the added benefit of fiber, which is found in whole fruit. (See "Dietary carbohydrates" and 'Sweetened beverages' below.)

Protein — Protein should make up 10 to 35 percent of total caloric intake, as recommended by the United States Dietary Guidelines [6]. Individuals should be counseled to eat a variety of healthy protein-rich foods, including fish, lean meat, poultry, eggs, beans, peas, soy products, and unsalted nuts and seeds. Patients should be advised to avoid protein sources with unhealthy fats. (See "Dietary fat", section on 'Recommendations for patients'.)

Common sources of dietary protein include whole foods (eg, meat, fish, egg, vegetables, milk) and protein powders (eg, casein, whey, soy). The source of protein has a differential effect on health (eg, red meats are associated with increased mortality, compared with white meats). (See 'Protein-rich foods' below.)

Fat — Fat should make up 20 to 35 percent of total caloric intake, as recommended by the United States Dietary Guidelines [6]. The type of fat consumed appears to be more important than the amount of total fat (table 3). Trans fats contribute to coronary heart disease (CHD), while n-3 (and perhaps n-6) polyunsaturated fats are protective [10,11]. (See "Dietary fat", section on 'Quality of fat'.)

Trans fatty acid consumption should be kept as low as possible. The major sources of trans fats include margarines and partially hydrogenated vegetable fats. These fats are also present in many processed and fast foods. The United States Dietary Guidelines recommend limiting dietary cholesterol and keeping consumption of saturated fat under 10 percent of calories per day [6].

There is some evidence that long-term consumption of fish oil and n-3 fatty acids reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. One to two servings of oily fish in the weekly diet is suggested for most adult patients. This is discussed in detail separately. (See "Fish oil and marine omega-3 fatty acids".)

Consumption of trans fat, saturated fat, and dietary cholesterol each affect plasma cholesterol levels. Elevated plasma cholesterol concentrations, particularly low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol (LDL-C), show a strong and consistent association with the incidence of CHD [12,13]. However, there are limited data showing that dietary interventions to lower cholesterol intake improve patient outcomes. (See "Lipid lowering with diet or dietary supplements" and "Lipoprotein(a) and cardiovascular disease".)

Fiber — The recommended amount of dietary fiber is 14 g per 1000 calories [6]. For most moderately active adults in the United States, that translates to approximately 25 g to 36 g per day.

Fiber is the portion of plants that cannot be digested by enzymes in the gastrointestinal tract. Fiber is available in a large variety of natural foods and supplements (table 4). Patients should be advised to replace refined grains (eg, white rice, white bread) with whole grains (eg, brown rice, whole-wheat bread), which have higher fiber content. (See 'Grains' below.)

Increased fiber intake is associated with decreased risk in cardiovascular events, incidence of diabetes, and all-cause mortality:

●Cardiovascular disease – High fiber intake is associated with a 40 to 50 percent reduction in the risk of CHD and stroke compared with low fiber intake [14-19] and is associated with lower cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in patients who have had a myocardial infarction [20]. A pooled analysis of cohort studies found that each 10 g increase in energy-adjusted intake of fiber per day was associated with a 14 percent relative reduction in the risk for all coronary events and a 27 percent reduction in CHD death [21]. High fiber diets may in part protect against CHD by controlling cardiovascular risk factors, including lowering insulin levels, improving lipid profiles, and lowering blood pressure [22,23].

●Diabetes mellitus – Fiber consumption from grains has a protective effect against diabetes mellitus. Increased fiber intake may also be beneficial in controlling blood glucose in patients with established diabetes. (See "Nutritional considerations in type 1 diabetes mellitus" and "Nutritional considerations in type 2 diabetes mellitus" and "Risk factors for type 2 diabetes mellitus", section on 'Dietary patterns'.)

●Cancer – Fiber intake likely lowers the risk of colorectal cancer [24]. Dietary fiber and risk of colorectal and other cancers is discussed separately. (See "Colorectal cancer: Epidemiology, risk factors, and protective factors", section on 'Fiber' and "Cancer prevention", section on 'Fruits and vegetables'.)

●Mortality – Observational studies suggest that increased dietary fiber intake is associated with decreased all-cause mortality [25,26]. A 2014 meta-analysis of seven prospective cohort studies including over 900,000 patients found that high fiber intake was associated with decreased mortality (relative risk [RR] 0.77, 95% CI 0.74-0.80) with a dose-response relationship (each 10 g/day increment associated with RR 0.89, 95% CI 0.85-0.92) [27]. In the largest of the included studies, the European prospective cohort study, fiber intake was also inversely associated with mortality from circulatory, respiratory, digestive, and non-cardiovascular, noncancer inflammatory diseases [26]. The associations were stronger in smokers and heavy drinkers (>18 g alcohol/day). Fiber from vegetables and cereals had higher impact than fiber from fruit.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Willett WC. Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed, Oxford University Press, New York 1998.
    Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 2003; 916:i.
    Department of Health, National Health Service, Choosing a Better Diet: a food and health action plan. http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/...dh_4105709.pdf (Accessed on April 05, 2011).
    The Traditional Healthy Asian Diet Pyramid http://www.oldwayspt.org/asian-diet-pyramid (Accessed on April 05, 2011).
    Keller I, Lang T. Food-based dietary guidelines and implementation: lessons from four countries--Chile, Germany, New Zealand and South Africa. Public Health Nutr 2008; 11:867.
    U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2015 – 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th Edition. December 2015. Available at http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/.
    Adams KF, Schatzkin A, Harris TB, et al. Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a large prospective cohort of persons 50 to 71 years old. N Engl J Med 2006; 355:763.
    Renehan AG, Tyson M, Egger M, et al. Body-mass index and incidence of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. Lancet 2008; 371:569.
    Willett WC, Dietz WH, Colditz GA. Guidelines for healthy weight. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:427.
    Hu FB, Stampfer MJ, Manson JE, et al. Dietary fat intake and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. N Engl J Med 1997; 337:1491.
    Mozaffarian D, Micha R, Wallace S. Effects on coronary heart disease of increasing polyunsaturated fat in place of saturated fat: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS Med 2010; 7:e1000252.
    Law MR, Wald NJ, Thompson SG. By how much and how quickly does reduction in serum cholesterol concentration lower risk of ischaemic heart disease? BMJ 1994; 308:367.
    Tsimikas S, Brilakis ES, Miller ER, et al. Oxidized phospholipids, Lp(a) lipoprotein, and coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med 2005; 353:46.
    Pietinen P, Rimm EB, Korhonen P, et al. Intake of dietary fiber and risk of coronary heart disease in a cohort of Finnish men. The Alpha-Tocopherol, Beta-Carotene Cancer Prevention Study. Circulation 1996; 94:2720.
    Key TJ, Thorogood M, Appleby PN, Burr ML. Dietary habits and mortality in 11,000 vegetarians and health conscious people: results of a 17 year follow up. BMJ 1996; 313:775.
    Ascherio A, Rimm EB, Hernán MA, et al. Intake of potassium, magnesium, calcium, and fiber and risk of stroke among US men. Circulation 1998; 98:1198.
    Wolk A, Manson JE, Stampfer MJ, et al. Long-term intake of dietary fiber and decreased risk of coronary heart disease among women. JAMA 1999; 281:1998.
    Jensen MK, Koh-Banerjee P, Hu FB, et al. Intakes of whole grains, bran, and germ and the risk of coronary heart disease in men. Am J Clin Nutr 2004; 80:1492.
    Threapleton DE, Greenwood DC, Evans CE, et al. Dietary fibre intake and risk of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2013; 347:f6879.
    Li S, Flint A, Pai JK, et al. Dietary fiber intake and mortality among survivors of myocardial infarction: prospective cohort study. BMJ 2014; 348:g2659.
    Pereira MA, O'Reilly E, Augustsson K, et al. Dietary fiber and risk of coronary heart disease: a pooled analysis of cohort studies. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164:370.
    Ludwig DS, Pereira MA, Kroenke CH, et al. Dietary fiber, weight gain, and cardiovascular disease risk factors in young adults. JAMA 1999; 282:1539.
    Hartley L, May MD, Loveman E, et al. Dietary fibre for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; :CD011472.
    World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. Diet, Nutrition, Physical Activity and Cancer: a Global Perspective. Continuous Update Project Expert Report 2018. https://www.wcrf.org/dietandcancer/about (Accessed on June 16, 2018).
    Park Y, Subar AF, Hollenbeck A, Schatzkin A. Dietary fiber intake and mortality in the NIH-AARP diet and health study. Arch Intern Med 2011; 171:1061.
    Chuang SC, Norat T, Murphy N, et al. Fiber intake and total and cause-specific mortality in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 2012; 96:164.
    Kim Y, Je Y. Dietary fiber intake and total mortality: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Am J Epidemiol 2014; 180:565.
    World Cancer Research Fund International/American Institute for Cancer Research. Continuous Update Project Report: Diet, Nutrition, Physical Activity and Stomach Cancer. 2016. Available at: wcrf.org/stomach-cancer-2016 (Accessed on April 25, 2016).
    Cook NR, Cutler JA, Obarzanek E, et al. Long term effects of dietary sodium reduction on cardiovascular disease outcomes: observational follow-up of the trials of hypertension prevention (TOHP). BMJ 2007; 334:885.
    http://nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/m...rt%20Brief.pdf.
    U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Folic acid for the prevention of neural tube defects: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2009; 150:626.
    Giovannucci E, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, et al. Multivitamin use, folate, and colon cancer in women in the Nurses' Health Study. Ann Intern Med 1998; 129:517.
    Freudenheim JL, Graham S, Marshall JR, et al. Folate intake and carcinogenesis of the colon and rectum. Int J Epidemiol 1991; 20:368.
    Mason JB, Levesque T. Folate: effects on carcinogenesis and the potential for cancer chemoprevention. Oncology (Williston Park) 1996; 10:1727.
    Ebbing M, Bønaa KH, Nygård O, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality after treatment with folic acid and vitamin B12. JAMA 2009; 302:2119.
    Cole BF, Baron JA, Sandler RS, et al. Folic acid for the prevention of colorectal adenomas: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2007; 297:2351.
    Mozaffarian D, Hao T, Rimm EB, et al. Changes in diet and lifestyle and long-term weight gain in women and men. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:2392.
    United States Department of Agriculture. http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html (Accessed on April 04, 2011).
    Miller V, Mente A, Dehghan M, et al. Fruit, vegetable, and legume intake, and cardiovascular disease and deaths in 18 countries (PURE): a prospective cohort study. Lancet 2017; 390:2037.
    Nagura J, Iso H, Watanabe Y, et al. Fruit, vegetable and bean intake and mortality from cardiovascular disease among Japanese men and women: the JACC Study. Br J Nutr 2009; 102:285.
    Sauvaget C, Nagano J, Allen N, Kodama K. Vegetable and fruit intake and stroke mortality in the Hiroshima/Nagasaki Life Span Study. Stroke 2003; 34:2355.
    Crowe FL, Roddam AW, Key TJ, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and mortality from ischaemic heart disease: results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-Heart study. Eur Heart J 2011; 32:1235.
    Wang X, Ouyang Y, Liu J, et al. Fruit and vegetable consumption and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer: systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. BMJ 2014; 349:g4490.
    Joshipura KJ, Hu FB, Manson JE, et al. The effect of fruit and vegetable intake on risk for coronary heart disease. Ann Intern Med 2001; 134:1106.
    Bazzano LA, He J, Ogden LG, et al. Legume consumption and risk of coronary heart disease in US men and women: NHANES I Epidemiologic Follow-up Study. Arch Intern Med 2001; 161:2573.
    Du H, Li L, Bennett D, et al. Fresh Fruit Consumption and Major Cardiovascular Disease in China. N Engl J Med 2016; 374:1332.
    He FJ, Nowson CA, MacGregor GA. Fruit and vegetable consumption and stroke: meta-analysis of cohort studies. Lancet 2006; 367:320.
    Joshipura KJ, Ascherio A, Manson JE, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake in relation to risk of ischemic stroke. JAMA 1999; 282:1233.
    Dagnelie PC, Schuurman AG, Goldbohm RA, Van den Brandt PA. Diet, anthropometric measures and prostate cancer risk: a review of prospective cohort and intervention studies. BJU Int 2004; 93:1139.
    Giovannucci E. A review of epidemiologic studies of tomatoes, lycopene, and prostate cancer. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2002; 227:852.
    Tang G, Wang D, Long J, et al. Meta-analysis of the association between whole grain intake and coronary heart disease risk. Am J Cardiol 2015; 115:625.
    Wu H, Flint AJ, Qi Q, et al. Association between dietary whole grain intake and risk of mortality: two large prospective studies in US men and women. JAMA Intern Med 2015; 175:373.
    Elwood PC, Pickering JE, Hughes J, et al. Milk drinking, ischaemic heart disease and ischaemic stroke II. Evidence from cohort studies. Eur J Clin Nutr 2004; 58:718.
    German JB, Gibson RA, Krauss RM, et al. A reappraisal of the impact of dairy foods and milk fat on cardiovascular disease risk. Eur J Nutr 2009; 48:191.
    Sinha R, Cross AJ, Graubard BI, et al. Meat intake and mortality: a prospective study of over half a million people. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:562.
    Etemadi A, Sinha R, Ward MH, et al. Mortality from different causes associated with meat, heme iron, nitrates, and nitrites in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study: population based cohort study. BMJ 2017; 357:j1957.
    Pan A, Sun Q, Bernstein AM, et al. Red meat consumption and mortality: results from 2 prospective cohort studies. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172:555.
    Bellavia A, Larsson SC, Bottai M, et al. Differences in survival associated with processed and with nonprocessed red meat consumption. Am J Clin Nutr 2014; 100:924.
    Larsson SC, Orsini N. Red meat and processed meat consumption and all-cause mortality: a meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol 2014; 179:282.
    Leung Yinko SS, Stark KD, Thanassoulis G, Pilote L. Fish consumption and acute coronary syndrome: a meta-analysis. Am J Med 2014; 127:848.
    Guasch-Ferré M, Liu X, Malik VS, et al. Nut Consumption and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017; 70:2519.
    de Koning L, Malik VS, Kellogg MD, et al. Sweetened beverage consumption, incident coronary heart disease, and biomarkers of risk in men. Circulation 2012; 125:1735.
    Greenwood DC, Threapleton DE, Evans CE, et al. Association between sugar-sweetened and artificially sweetened soft drinks and type 2 diabetes: systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. Br J Nutr 2014; 112:725.
    Imamura F, O'Connor L, Ye Z, et al. Consumption of sugar sweetened beverages, artificially sweetened beverages, and fruit juice and incidence of type 2 diabetes: systematic review, meta-analysis, and estimation of population attributable fraction. BMJ 2015; 351:h3576.
    Jayalath VH, de Souza RJ, Ha V, et al. Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption and incident hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohorts. Am J Clin Nutr 2015; 102:914.
    Malik VS, Popkin BM, Bray GA, et al. Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. Diabetes Care 2010; 33:2477.
    Xi B, Huang Y, Reilly KH, et al. Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of hypertension and CVD: a dose-response meta-analysis. Br J Nutr 2015; 113:709.
    www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs394/en/ (Accessed on July 24, 2017).
    Jankovic N, Geelen A, Streppel MT, et al. Adherence to a healthy diet according to the World Health Organization guidelines and all-cause mortality in elderly adults from Europe and the United States. Am J Epidemiol 2014; 180:978.
    Sotos-Prieto M, Bhupathiraju SN, Mattei J, et al. Association of Changes in Diet Quality with Total and Cause-Specific Mortality. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:143.
    Hooper L, Abdelhamid A, Bunn D, et al. Effects of total fat intake on body weight. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; :CD011834.
    Leitzmann C. Vegetarian diets: what are the advantages? Forum Nutr 2005; :147.
    American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada. Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Vegetarian diets. J Am Diet Assoc 2003; 103:748.
    Haddad EH, Sabaté J, Whitten CG. Vegetarian food guide pyramid: a conceptual framework. Am J Clin Nutr 1999; 70:615S.
    Johnston PK, Sabate J. Nutritional implications of vegetarian diets. In: Modern nutrition in health and disease, 10, Shils ME, Shike M, Ross AC, et al (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore 2006. p.1638.
    Craig WJ. Health effects of vegan diets. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 89:1627S.
    Rao V, Al-Weshahy A. Plant-based diets and control of lipids and coronary heart disease risk. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2008; 10:478.
    Barnard ND, Katcher HI, Jenkins DJ, et al. Vegetarian and vegan diets in type 2 diabetes management. Nutr Rev 2009; 67:255.
    Le LT, Sabaté J. Beyond meatless, the health effects of vegan diets: findings from the Adventist cohorts. Nutrients 2014; 6:2131.
    Satija A, Hu FB. Plant-based diets and cardiovascular health. Trends Cardiovasc Med 2018; 28:437.
    Haddad EH, Tanzman JS. What do vegetarians in the United States eat? Am J Clin Nutr 2003; 78:626S.
    Appleby P, Roddam A, Allen N, Key T. Comparative fracture risk in vegetarians and nonvegetarians in EPIC-Oxford. Eur J Clin Nutr 2007; 61:1400.
    Appel LJ, Moore TJ, Obarzanek E, et al. A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH Collaborative Research Group. N Engl J Med 1997; 336:1117.
    Sacks FM, Svetkey LP, Vollmer WM, et al. Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. DASH-Sodium Collaborative Research Group. N Engl J Med 2001; 344:3.
    Rai SK, Fung TT, Lu N, et al. The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet, Western diet, and risk of gout in men: prospective cohort study. BMJ 2017; 357:j1794.
    Juraschek SP, Gelber AC, Choi HK, et al. Effects of the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Diet and Sodium Intake on Serum Uric Acid. Arthritis Rheumatol 2016; 68:3002.
    Fung TT, Hu FB, Wu K, et al. The Mediterranean and Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diets and colorectal cancer. Am J Clin Nutr 2010; 92:1429.
    Fung TT, Chiuve SE, McCullough ML, et al. Adherence to a DASH-style diet and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke in women. Arch Intern Med 2008; 168:713.
    Salehi-Abargouei A, Maghsoudi Z, Shirani F, Azadbakht L. Effects of Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)-style diet on fatal or nonfatal cardiovascular diseases--incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis on observational prospective studies. Nutrition 2013; 29:611.
    Schwingshackl L, Bogensberger B, Hoffmann G. Diet Quality as Assessed by the Healthy Eating Index, Alternate Healthy Eating Index, Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Score, and Health Outcomes: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Cohort Studies. J Acad Nutr Diet 2018; 118:74.
    Sofi F, Cesari F, Abbate R, et al. Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: meta-analysis. BMJ 2008; 337:a1344.
    Schwingshackl L, Hoffmann G. Adherence to Mediterranean diet and risk of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Int J Cancer 2014; 135:1884.
    Widmer RJ, Flammer AJ, Lerman LO, Lerman A. The Mediterranean diet, its components, and cardiovascular disease. Am J Med 2015; 128:229.
    Filomeno M, Bosetti C, Garavello W, et al. The role of a Mediterranean diet on the risk of oral and pharyngeal cancer. Br J Cancer 2014; 111:981.
    Castelló A, Pollán M, Buijsse B, et al. Spanish Mediterranean diet and other dietary patterns and breast cancer risk: case-control EpiGEICAM study. Br J Cancer 2014; 111:1454.
    Toledo E, Salas-Salvadó J, Donat-Vargas C, et al. Mediterranean Diet and Invasive Breast Cancer Risk Among Women at High Cardiovascular Risk in the PREDIMED Trial: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med 2015; 175:1752.
    Estruch R, Ros E, Salas-Salvadó J, et al. Retraction and Republication: Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease with a Mediterranean Diet. N Engl J Med 2013;368:1279-90. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:2441.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

― Henry David Thoreau

Pretty straight forward article. Thanks for posting.

Your argument literally collapsed at "Carbohydrate — Carbohydrates should make up 45 to 65 percent of total caloric intake, as recommended by the United States Dietary Guidelines [6]" and "Willett WC. Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed, Oxford University Press, New York 1998".

This misinformation is not just wrong, its corruptly wrong. But I don't care what you eat, so you keep eating your bread and building that gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Your argument literally collapsed at "Carbohydrate — Carbohydrates should make up 45 to 65 percent of total caloric intake, as recommended by the United States Dietary Guidelines [6]" and "Willett WC. Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed, Oxford University Press, New York 1998".

This misinformation is not just wrong, its corruptly wrong. But I don't care what you eat, so you keep eating your bread and building that gut.
    Vegetable, fruits, and whole grains are carbohydrates.

What a winner of an arguement . First have other people quote their source. Then saying that person is corrupt wrong . Then making the assumption the word carb equals bread, which it doesn't, read above. Then not giving any reason for said beliefs.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

― Henry David Thoreau

finally, someone else for the meat eaters to focus on.

Thanks, Dawhoo. Its interesting what you point out about "carbs" and also interesting to hear just how fanatical people are about THEIR diets. You can cite literature for days but so can they. Its fairly confusing....

I agree with your dietary recommendations. A plant based diet "has been proven" to be the best for health and longevity.

Some of you talk too much. Go listen to the podcast and make some relevant comments.

Rubberhead