Thread: 15 Evinrude ?

Default 15 Evinrude ?

I have an older (95) 15hp "JohnRude". It's hard to start, and has low compression, but will run like a scalded dog once it is going. are these little motors worth rebuilding? I can do the work myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Is it worth rebuilding is really up to you. My 2 cylinder yamaha rebuild cost me about $400 total. Parts and machine shop. I bought after market reeds and got the head cut too but if you didn't do all that you could probably do a rebuild for less than $300
    Last edited by tman; 09-28-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Rebuild it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I hate a 2-stroke.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I love a 2-stroke
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I hate a 2-stroke.
    Me too hahah
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I love a 2-stroke
    me too - easy and cheap to work on and run great when maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    I have an older (95) 15hp "JohnRude". It's hard to start, and has low compression, but will run like a scalded dog once it is going. are these little motors worth rebuilding? I can do the work myself.
    Sea Foam the heck out of it first - may just be low compression from a semi stuck ring or carbon build up.
    Google "seafoam dunks method" works a lot of the times and will get that carb cleaned out also. Throw a new $3 plug in it too
    Last edited by ecu1984; 09-29-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Sea Foam the heck out of it first - may just be low compression from a semi stuck ring or carbon build up.
    Google "seafoam dunks method" works a lot of the times and will get that carb cleaned out also. Throw a new $3 plug in it too
    I messed with it some today, and borrowed a newer better quality gauge. I think my old gauge was the culprit. I am back over 100psi in both cylinders. I have new plugs in it, carb kit, etc. I think I am going to throw an impeller in it here soon because today while running it on the muffs it quit peeing and I cut it over and rolled it back into the garage.

I would bet if the compression is low it is the head gasket from being run hot. I have never seen a stuck ring or scuffed cyl. wall in a crossflow motor unless it was run without oil mixed. These motors are bullet proof. Head gasket is easy
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I would bet if the compression is low it is the head gasket from being run hot.
    I think if it were a head gasket then it would not be running fine after being warmed up, just the opposite.
    It would also most likely show signs of water in the cylinder or on the plug if head gasket.

Not really. Trust me.