Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for the The University of South Carolina Fanbase

Default Question for the The University of South Carolina Fanbase

Alright. Yesterday I posed a question and it was ignored. I was ridiculed for trying to "deflect" on a thread that was about Clemson, so I've decided to pose the question in a separate thread. Wasn't attempting to deflect anything, but someone wrote something that got me thinking. Please do not make this about "your team" and how much you may or may not despise a different team. It's high time we had some higher level conversations regarding CFB rather than name calling and telling each other how stupid we are.

USC was left in a terrible place with their football program when Spurrier resigned. We know that. The Gamecocks are into year 3 (?) of the Will Muschamp era. While he has recruited some players that have some flash to them, I cannot say with certainty that the program has made significant strides of improvement. Let's take a look at some of the other coaching changes, using the SEC specifically. LSU hires Coach O two years ago, Kirby is hired at UGA and is on year 3 as well. LSU was not left in the same spot as USC, that's given, but they have made (up to this point) a stride in the right direction, primarily at QB. Kirby was not as far from what USC was left with. There were some key components missing at UGA. As SwampCat pointed out yesterday, he focused on OL & DL recruiting. In 3 years, he has moved that program into the top 1-5 teams in the country, respectively.

I like to see Carolina be competitive in the East. Saturday night was a tough game to watch (so was Saturday at 12, don't you boys get high and mighty in this thread). You CAN change a team with 2 years of recruiting. You SHOULD have changed a team after 3 years of recruiting.

With that being said, USC fans see where the program is now. Some of it can be placed on the QB not performing well, etc. The OL play is telling. The DL play may be slightly improved. But at what point do you stop saying "he is in year 3 of rebuilding" and expect to see some serious momentum? How much longer are you willing to stick with his plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot14 View Post
    Alright. Yesterday I posed a question and it was ignored. I was ridiculed for trying to "deflect" on a thread that was about Clemson, so I've decided to pose the question in a separate thread. Wasn't attempting to deflect anything, but someone wrote something that got me thinking. Please do not make this about "your team" and how much you may or may not despise a different team. It's high time we had some higher level conversations regarding CFB rather than name calling and telling each other how stupid we are.

USC was left in a terrible place with their football program when Spurrier resigned. We know that. The Gamecocks are into year 3 (?) of the Will Muschamp era. While he has recruited some players that have some flash to them, I cannot say with certainty that the program has made significant strides of improvement. Let's take a look at some of the other coaching changes, using the SEC specifically. LSU hires Coach O two years ago, Kirby is hired at UGA and is on year 3 as well. LSU was not left in the same spot as USC, that's given, but they have made (up to this point) a stride in the right direction, primarily at QB. Kirby was not as far from what USC was left with. There were some key components missing at UGA. As SwampCat pointed out yesterday, he focused on OL & DL recruiting. In 3 years, he has moved that program into the top 1-5 teams in the country, respectively.

I like to see Carolina be competitive in the East. Saturday night was a tough game to watch (so was Saturday at 12, don't you boys get high and mighty in this thread). You CAN change a team with 2 years of recruiting. You SHOULD have changed a team after 3 years of recruiting.

With that being said, USC fans see where the program is now. Some of it can be placed on the QB not performing well, etc. The OL play is telling. The DL play may be slightly improved. But at what point do you stop saying "he is in year 3 of rebuilding" and expect to see some serious momentum? How much longer are you willing to stick with his plan?
    For me personally...If we don't see significant strides and improvement in the next "2 years" I'd say the coaching staff had been given a very fair chance and be looking to make a change. I don't expect to arrive at that crossroads. I still believe things are heading the right direction and given what he inherited, Muschamp has made progress. Fans are very fair weather and forgetful of where we were in the very recent past. It's difficult to be patient and compounded by the current success of your two biggest rivals.

I think 4 years is enough. In 4 years their first recruiting class has graduated.

I think that last sentence in your post sums up most fair weather fanbases in college football, and is quite spot on.

I cant, for the life of me, understand how a Carolina fan could mention Spurrier without disgust. He may have given you your glory days of at least competing in the SEC East, but he is still to blame for the challenges Muschamp faces.

Muschamp cant win with Bentley as QB in the SEC. PERIOD. He also cant win without tackling. That being said, they are more competitive than they were last year.

IMO, the biggest hurdle is getting past carolina fans' optimism. Before the UGA game, you people thought you could compete with them bc "you play them tough." But that's just silly. UGA is way better than yall. Then came UK and you needed to get over the thumb. The honest answer is that UK is better than USC right now. I dont, however, think that will last. Maybe if you curbed your enthusiasm and replaced it with reality, you would realize Muschamp is performing as expected right now. A new coach wouldnt fix a dang thing.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 10-02-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What 2th said, and another coach would set the process back 3-4 more years. Guaranteeing 10-15.

Time to call in Dr. Root again.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I cant, for the life of me, understand how a Carolina fan could mention Spurrier without disgust. He may have given you your glory days of at least competing in the SEC East, but he is still to blame for the challenges Muschamp faces.

Muschamp cant win with Bentley as QB in the SEC. PERIOD. He also cant win without tackling. That being said, they are more competitive than they were last year.

IMO, the biggest hurdle is getting past carolina fans' optimism. Before the UGA game, you people thought you could compete with them bc "you play them tough." But that's just silly. UGA is way better than yall. Then came UK and you needed to get over the thumb. The honest answer is that UK is better than USC right now. I dont, however, think that will last. Maybe if you curbed your enthusiasm and replaced it with reality, you would realize Muschamp is performing as expected right now. A new coach wouldnt fix a dang thing.
    How many good coaches have they already retired?

The man went 9-4 in year 2. He'll get at least two more seasons. He started from the ground.

I ink USC is where most thought they would be at this time. They are 2-2 with losses to teams that are plain better than they are. I have felt that in their two losses things could have gone differently had they made a few plays early and not turned it over early. I thought UGA was two TDs better than us and I thought we'd have to score 35 to be Kaintuck. Obviously, that did not happen. Bentley has proven to be over rated at this point and that simply hurts because in this day and time you have to score. I am a Muschamp fan, I think he's doing a good job in all aspects, we just need to upset a better team to get on a roll. We live in a fire the coach society and people in this state, regardless of affiliation, are some of the worst. Had Clemson played a better team Saturday and gotten beat, there would have been some naysayers in orange also.

Takes 5 years at least . I believe it takes a couple of years of overacheiving also to start pulling enough studs to change things . I am a Tiger . What works at UGA wont work at Clemson and so on . DABO wasnt wrong when he said you have to change the culture . All the crazy expectations and pre season hype gamecock fans spew is not helping . I know ya'll talk about the cheerleader and his kool aide but for Clemson to even be in the conversation with BAMA ,UGA and OHIO ST proves it can be done . The same can be done at USC .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

Of course I am a Clemson fan. What I see is the SC team is very undisciplined. When you have a DB intercept a ball inside the 10 yard line and then pretend to pull out a sharpie and sign the ball down 24-10 that’s unacceptable. The undisciplined players seems to have followed Muschamp from Florida.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I cant, for the life of me, understand how a Carolina fan could mention Spurrier without disgust.
    The heights he took the program far exceed how badly he failed in his latter years.

I agree with you that Muschamp deserves a chance to stay and finish what he started. Beating Michigan in the Outback Bowl [again] was enjoyable for me. I think he's making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    For me personally...If we don't see significant strides and improvement in the next "2 years" I'd say the coaching staff had been given a very fair chance and be looking to make a change. I don't expect to arrive at that crossroads. I still believe things are heading the right direction and given what he inherited, Muschamp has made progress. Fans are very fair weather and forgetful of where we were in the very recent past. It's difficult to be patient and compounded by the current success of your two biggest rivals.
    I know you say the next "2 years", but look at USC's schedule next year. We could have significant improvements next year, but the fact is we have AL, UGA, and Clemson on the schedule to name a few. Even with significant improvement, I can see 3 losses from the get go. I'm not saying we can't or won't win any of those games, but it's a tough task. I think Muschamp will get at least 6 years to build his program. It might be tough to watch sometimes, but I really think he is the right coach to build the program.

Just to clarify, this is a question coming from outside the USC fanbase. I do not have any affiliation with that base, I just have an appreciation for football and higher level conversations than "you're a dumbass because I pull for a different team than you".

Personally, I feel that he is missing on the recruiting front for key positions. Hint, it's the same positions that Dabo has been trying to take away from Smart at UGA. That O-line recruited at UGA last year will be something to watch over the next 4. Muschamp did not hit on the lines at UF, and currently, I am not seeing it at USC. You can put an average player at receiver and make a team look great IF you have time to throw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    I know you say the next "2 years", but look at USC's schedule next year. We could have significant improvements next year, but the fact is we have AL, UGA, and Clemson on the schedule to name a few. Even with significant improvement, I can see 3 losses from the get go. I'm not saying we can't or won't win any of those games, but it's a tough task. I think Muschamp will get at least 6 years to build his program. It might be tough to watch sometimes, but I really think he is the right coach to build the program.
    I think he is too and still believe he's building something. The wins and loss numbers with next years schedule certainly may not tell the tale. You're absolutely right. Games played like the other night though, tell a tale for sure and it was hard to watch.

Snap Hunter, I couldn't agree more. I don't call into radio shows or the like but listen everyday to and from work. I've had a hard time not calling and raising hell about the behavior of some defensive players. It's especially ridiculous when you are Losing for goodness sake. Shows a "me" mentality and nothing else. That INT in particular should have been batted down, but the player appeared to act too damn stupid to make a smart play like that given the down and situation. I remember discussing such situations in JV football..

Looking from the outside in, I have said for years that USC needs to capitalize on FL and Tenn being horrific compared to their program standards. It is evident now, that those schools are not bouncing back like we thought they would. They may indeed settle into being mediocre at best for a while. What has happened unfourtunatley for USC, is that they have somewhat missed the opportunity to cement themselves as the number 2 team in the East. Kentucky seems to be the strongest candidate for that spot. A fair to good USC team should win 8 games with their schedule, they only play 4 above average teams yearly. The question now becomes, “are you happy being the third best team in a weak division?”, and “are you happy with losing every game your ‘supposed to lose’ and only winning ‘the ones your supposed to win’?”

I think the above mentioned scenario is the real concern. Through 3 years, Coach M has not proven he can elevate you beyond third best in a weak conference. If he repeats the same in year 4, I believe you are then at the decision time to determine if the athletic department is satisfied with that as expectation. I personally believe, 8-9 wins is the culture at USC and Coach M will give yo that year in and year out. There’s no certainty the next coach will.

Look, I'm a Clemson fan, but I have to be honest: I think Muschamp is the man for the job in getting USC back to its Spurrier-like glory days. Right now, do they look like an undisciplined JV team guided by a QB that just turned eighteen? (But is somehow a junior in college...wtf?) Absolutely they do. But does that mean Muschamp can't get them back to contending for the SEC East title every ten years or so, getting curbstomped in the SECCG when they do make it to Atlanta, and then getting a very nice win in the Outback Bowl? Of course not. Don't listen to all the naysayers, y'all are right where you need to be.

For those busting his balls after 2 years, wasnt Dabo 6-7 in his 3rd year? Not trying to make this a Clemson thing, just pointing out that it's not always over before it starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I think that is correct. Give Muschamp a chance. He's headed in the right direction. If Hilinnski is as advertised it could be what you need to turn the corner in a couple of years. As far as the O line. Bently has had time to throw, he just hasn't performed.