Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netting to keep birds of prey out.

I have seen farms go from 20 covey's to 0 with no change in farming practices, no change in the habit, covered ditch banks, burning every or every other year........so when I hear the experts say changes in habitat and farming practices,.....I say BS.

Fire ants do seem to be a common denominator and arrived right before the quail population went to hell.

It doesn't take much of a drop in nesting success to send a population spiraling downward.....especially birds.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-21-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Modern agricultural practices
    #1 reason
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I have seen farms go from 20 covey's to 0 with no change in farming practices, no change in the habit, covered ditch banks, burning every or every other year........so when I hear the experts say changes in habitat and farming practices,.....I say BS.

Fire ants do seem to be a common denominator and arrived right before the quail population went to hell.

It doesn't take much of a drop in nesting success to send a population spiraling downward.....especially birds.

Like gut pile said it’s a reason. Doesn’t mean that’s the sole reason every covey is gone but modern AG has destroyed both the quail and turkey population around here. Fire ants and pigs haven’t helped either.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

How many farmers do you know now that have livestock, verses farmers 40-50 years ago?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

If you want to establish new birds, stay away from adult flighted birds.
    Either spend the money on F-1 birds or look into someone raising quality birds that you can purchase and early release in late Sept-Oct
    Don't wait until Sept to order them either....get on a list early.
    Release birds will survive and propagate with good habitat etc...
    I have seen released birds harvested 6 years after release....just sayin
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Release birds will survive and propagate with good habitat etc...
    I have seen released birds harvested 6 years after release....just sayin
    The key to this statement is good habitat...

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    How many farmers do you know now that have livestock, verses farmers 40-50 years ago?
    The property I am referring to has not changed a bit. Poor and sloppy farming practices 50 years ago and no change since them. For the last 30 yrs it's been done on purpose. Some on the best quail habitat in the Southeast.

No livestock now or then

Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-22-2018 at 11:50 AM.