Thread: Prop shaft to pad

Default Prop shaft to pad

I just put a 6" jackplate on my h50db.how many inchs do y'all usually start with prop shaft below pad?

Way too many variables to answer off of information provided...
    A/V plate is going to be the benchmark as opposed to the prop shaft.

Need to know what the setback of the jackplate is, manual fixed or hydraulic jack, what size and type of prop, intended use (hunting, cruising or racing above 601 bridge, etc), and motor type.

It has 6" vance manual jack plate.the boat it just used for fishing.the current prop is a 13 1/4x18 Yamaha prop,looks same as turbo 1 prop.the motor is yamaha 90 2 smoke

Looking the same and being the same are two completely separate things when it comes to props.

Need to spend some time, bring some tools, run it then adjust, and keep running higher until it either loses grip or blows out on turns, etc.

There is no magic answer, just gonna have to experiment and find out where the sweet spot is, if it exists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

From what i found is that precision propeller makes turbo props and yamaha props.the yamaha has more pitches available like 17,18 and 19.the turbo is only offered in 17 and 19.just have to run it like u said

You need 10" of setback and at least a 21 pitch trophy plus.

First off, install a tach and establish your baseline before installing the jack...

I have set up many boats with that setback and I have always had good luck with 2-3" above the pad as a starting point....all depends on how clean the water comes off the bottom as to how aggressive you can go as well as how level the boat rides when loaded. Make sure it is propped for your load 90% of the time instead of being propped for your test weight.

Have a yamaha tach installed and have water pressure gauge on the way but havent ran it with jackplate yet.i ran with motor on transom was get 5800 with a 13 1/2x16
    k series
    Last edited by bobbyhill; 09-25-2018 at 02:50 PM.

K series doesn't tell us anything as that indicates the size of the gear case. 4.25" that's on the 60/70/90 motors is the K size. 3.5" on the 40/50hp takes G props and 4.75" is M.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    You need 10" of setback and at least a 21 pitch trophy plus.
    not if hes got a 60 or 70.

edit: a 90 probably cant turn a 21 on this boat
    Last edited by tman; 09-25-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: so i look like less of a jackass
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

what kinda mota??????

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    what kinda mota??????
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhill View Post
    the motor is yamaha 90 2 smoke
    here's your answer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    here's your answer
    somehow blazed past that. thanks WW

this is the advice that was given to me by a guy on bass boat central when i started setting my h51 up. YMMV.

Of those props listed, to be honest, I don't even like the Turbo 1 that much ......... mini-Raker, mini-Pro Series, and Trophy Plus is a much better prop for midrange horsepower motors. If you are running a manual jackplate and want all around performance, then in my opinion Trophy Plus is the one to get. If you are wanting all out speed, then any of these props and a hydraulic jackplate is a must. With these hulls, if you want 'maximum performance', you got to be able to move that prop shaft height ..... the slower you're going the deeper the prop needs to be, when you get into upper RPM ranges and she's really lifting, you can then start raising it. I know I kept mine at 4"-3.5" typically for running around, but when I was WOT I could raise it to 2.5" approximately. (those measurements are 'prop shaft height below the pad').

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    K series doesn't tell us anything as that indicates the size of the gear case. 4.25" that's on the 60/70/90 motors is the K size. 3.5" on the 40/50hp takes G props and 4.75" is M.

Yes i know k series indicates what gear case. I'm just stating what the prop I ran so far.just goin to have to do some testing with props and set up.
    Last edited by bobbyhill; 09-26-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    this is the advice that was given to me by a guy on bass boat central when i started setting my h51 up. YMMV.
    I have been lookin on bass boat central and couple people on there say start at 4.5 below pad.i am goin to start there and adjust jack plate up from there

The way you said it I wasn't sure if you had wrapped your head around that. Lots of folks don't understand saying a K Series prop is very vague.

But you get it. Now, go burn some gas and keep us posted.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think it maybe easier to start 'high' and lower it. 4.5 is way too low imho.

That motor should easily turn a 21 on that boat.

and, yes, a hydraulic jp would make this very easy....wish I had one.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai