Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I guess Todd Ellis was right, Clemson really is cyclin'...

OK. I'll play....

I didnt attend clemson but sure as hell grew up a Tiger. I remember the 70s....and, guess what? its not the 70s any more.

My kids are high school seniors so I am taking another close look at Clemson from more than just a football fan's perspective. Without a doubt (to me), it is a GREAT time to be a Clemson student. While I understand those yearning for the days gone by, you just cant call it a negative that the experience is changing (good or bad). For a clemson grad to say the experience is different from what it was makes sense but to say the architecture doesnt match so I hate the place? Come on. Things change and life goes on but Clemson is NOT losing its small town feel any more than edisto is going to become myrtle beach.

and last time I checked the bridge program was to help kids matriculate to Clemson after taking some college courses to prove themselves academically and socially. Sounds like a wonderful program to me....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The Bridge program is a great way to transition into a 4-year Clemson degree. My problem lies in a Tri County student, who strokes a tuition check to TCTC, who didn't make the cut to get into Clemson, and who attends a completely different university gets a Clemson ID, lives on Clemson's campus, and gets to pretend to be a Clemson Student.

That's like someone who didn't make it into dental school, gets to open a dental practice, look in peoples mouth's, and in all other manners present themselves as a Dentist and reap the benefits thereof, without actually attending dental school.

And yes, the university has always been changing, but the sudden rate of change is what has shocked myself and other Alumni I talk to. Everyone's experience will be different, but it seems like there are fewer and fewer common links.

I wouldn't say a full on dental office, I'd say like buying a set of scrubs.. Because there are all sorts of people wearing scrubs around just pretending to be important.

I guess I'm just not jealous enough to make the distinction between a bridge student and a "real" clemson student.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

And you didn't have a bust your ass to make the higher entrance standards required by Clemson vs TCTC. That's the difference.

Clemson is a great academic school, but I'm sure glad that my son didn't choose to go there. None of you folks would have ever heard about it, if he had.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Tom Winkopp is bad for Clemson
    So was whoever decided to get rid of The Hill....

If you think this is a change that's only happened over the past 5-10 years, you don't know Clemson as well as you think you do. I graduated in '94. Construction between the Fall of '90 and the Spring of '94 was constant. It was happening then and began to accelerate in the late 90's/early 2000's with the introduction of Jim Barker and his desire to be a Top20 public university. Football came along and made the validation of that goal easier because who doesn't want to be associated with a winner? This all distinctly coincides with the band geeks' introduction of the woo-hoo into my school's "fight" song, but that's another story for another day.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

under age drinking tickets for everyone

and no more tailgating on the quad

I will always wonder what might have been had Coach Ford not been run off...

He would have won another NC sooner. SC has the same thing as Bridge program. Through last year based on freshman I knew attending Bridge kids did not eat on campus nor go to classes anywhere but Tri County. Why do you fuckers care if a kid has a b average coming from a tech school and gets in? I’d venture to say the ones complaining about that couldn’t get accepted today. And Simple my friend, I agree, whatever fucking moron put the WooHoo in the fight song deserves an ass whipping. It’s GHEY AF!!
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Clemson is a great academic school, but I'm sure glad that my son didn't choose to go there. None of you folks would have ever heard about it, if he had.
    UGA graduate?

I was a bridge student back in ‘06 and got my degree from Clemson in ‘10. I finished 4th in my class and got an 1180 the first and only time I took the SAT. I thought for sure that would get me in but instead I got accepted to the Bridge program. If being in that program devalues my degree in your eyes so be it. I’ll continue to cherish the time I spent at Clemson and be proud of the degree I earned.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    under age drinking tickets for everyone
    No shit.

I hope my kid doesn't get in and decides to bridge.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I hope my kid doesn't get in and decides to bridge.
    Yep. There is a whole lot of fiction surrounding conversations regarding the Bridge program.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    UGA graduate?
    He's there right now.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    I personally believe the "Clemson Experience" is not what it once was. Maybe it's the ways in which the country is shifting as a whole, but I cannot attest to other schools. I was at Clemson from 2011-2015 and again in 2017&18. I don't like all the growth, have you all seen downtown recently? The new apartments tower over everything. The new buildings on campus are some of the ugliest buildings I've seen in a while especially when sitting across the street from
    Tillman, Sikes, and Riggs. The article fails to mention that the new president, President Clements, has pushed for increased enrollment since his start in 2013 as well.

Also this is bad news for the folks who believe more in state students should be accepted to Clemson because I guarantee that the average SAT scores coming from within our state are

lower than those that Clemson are accepting.

I agree. I graduated there in 99. I went up there a couple years ago and hardly recognized it.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    He's there right now.
    Mine graduated in May, double major in Ag. Working for Trump at Dept of Ag in DC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk