Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a youth rifle, with recoil less than 7mm08 but with effectively kill a de

.22 This has killed a many

Charts no good
    Creedmore is not on there

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    I built a AR-15 in 6.8 SPC fo my 7 yo. Very mild recoil. The collapsible stock helps tremendously.
    x2. I have my suppressed for even less recoil and concussion.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    God yes.
    My buddy and I were just whining about shooting our turkey guns earlier this week. He's a big, strong dude, as well. Ain't nothing fun about patterning turkey loads.
    Carolina Counsel

ive got a 223 handi rifle I bought off of here that Mudeagle picked up for me that I'm too lazy to go get from him you can get if you want it
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

An AR in 6.8, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39 with a collapsible stock is very kid friendly, and will kick less than any of the standard calibers even with reduced recoil ammo. Suppressed is even better.

Dad bought me a NEF Handi-Rifle when I was 10 and I can't think of a better gun for a kid. Good length/weight for a kid and the single shot emphasizes the importance of one shot/one kill.

You could always look at the Browning BARs. Semi-auto, in a variety of calibers, and has more of a traditional look, as well.

I built my girls a tc contender carbine in 30-30. With 125gr ballistic tips it should handle business. they are a ways from being old enough for it but I'm prepared for when they do
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I bought one of those tikkas in .243 just cause it was $400. Its a tack driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I built my girls a tc contender carbine in 30-30. With 125gr ballistic tips it should handle business. they are a ways from being old enough for it but I'm prepared for when they do
    I did the same for my youngest except it was a 7-30 Waters. They’re very nice little guns.

[QUOTE=FLS;2529027]I did the same for my youngest except it was a 7

I wanted one bad when I was a kid looking at those little catalogs. I found a youth stock and a fullsize stock. It has a 2.5-8 vari x 3 on it. Its ready when they are

Quote Originally Posted by SharkDave View Post
    6MM. Site in w 50 or 80 gr. Then load 100 gr for the hunt. Worked for my 9 yr old last season. No prob.

Buddy of mine has a 6mm that he has had for years. Many a youngster has killed their first deer with that gun.

Other than that what about AR10

I love my 270 BAR and it has very little recoil however is some what of a heavy gun for kids but I assume you are using a rest/sandbags should be fine. Heck maybe even get one in 243
    Last edited by tprice; 09-27-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I'd get a .243
    This..simply cause i killed my first 10 deer with one, my dad, and PaPa did too. My son will shoot a rem model 7 .243. Fuck all those hood rat, small calibers

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Question to some of the responders.... Wouldn't two cartridges with approximately the same case capacity shooting about the same weight bullet at similar speeds out of similar weight guns have about how the same recoil? Is there some magic in a 140 gr 6.5 Creedmoor or 260, that makes it recoil less that a 7-08 shooting a 140 grain bullet?
    That's why you'd run 120gr bullets through the 260/6.5 caliber. With this, 120 < 140.
    Last edited by JBtflo; 09-27-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Model 7 .223
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    An AR in 6.8, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39 with a collapsible stock is very kid friendly, and will kick less than any of the standard calibers even with reduced recoil ammo. Suppressed is even better.
    20180921_193150_resized.jpg

Field tested
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

My son, 10 but very small framed, will shoot my AR in 6.8 all day if I could afford it. I only wish I could get my hands on a polymer 10 round mag for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    ive got a 223 handi rifle I bought off of here that Mudeagle picked up for me that I'm too lazy to go get from him you can get if you want it
    That is a rifle people are trying to get. If you are going to give it away, give it to me.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Here is an interesting option that I would recommend looking into.......If you buy a special caliber rifle for a kid, depending on what it is, you may be stuck with it when they grow out of it. However, for the price of an inexpensive rifle, you can invest in quality reloading equipment to tailor make loads for ALL of your rifles, including the 7mm-08. That way as the child grows you can adjust the loads accordingly. A 7mm-08 loaded to around 2600 fps with a 120gr Ballistic Tip will have very light recoil and will kill deer just fine.

If you don't handload you are stuck with factory loads that sometime require a good bit of trial and error (and expense) to find something that your rifle likes. I have seen waaay too many times friends find a factory load that works, then they buy another box of it only to find out it is from a different lot which results in a group shift and sometimes much worse groups. When you handload, YOU control all of the variables and can tweak things for the best accuracy. Heck, in many instances, just the act of neck sizing fire formed brass can reduce group size by a third or more. Reloading equipment can last a lifetime, if you take care of it. Some of the stuff I have was purchased in the 70's and 80's. It offers you a lifetime of precision, cost savings, and self sufficiency.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.