Thread: Lab looking slimmer ??

Default Lab looking slimmer ??

I have an 11 yr old chocolate lab that is a family pet and back yard dog.

He was neutered years ago and needless to say got pretty thick, in fact i would say probably a good bit overweight but we do not feed him table scraps much at all . In fact he can be a finicky eater for most part

Same dog food since I have had him as a pup

But last couple months he seems to be getting a lot thinner, in fact my son was over last night and noticed it as well

Naturally he does not seem to eat as much in summer when it is hot either but never seen him loose this much weight .

Is this just the normal aging process, he seems fine and healthy like always .

Buddy of mine has brother to this dog and he is seeing same thing, however his dog was never neutered
    Last edited by tprice; 09-23-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Default Lab looking slimmer ??

Hard to say without a physical exam and possibly some diagnostics... Could be normal, could not be. Generally an animal that is healthy, not super active, and eating the same amount should not be losing weight. Take em to the vet for a physical exam would be a good starting point. Diagnostics could include: bloodwork w fecal check, xrays and/or ultrasound depending on physical exam findings.

Edit: I have a 14yo lab who at one time weighed 100+lbs and I would guess now he probably weighs ~80. He has definitely lost muscle tone and gotten thinner but as result of neurologic changes likely due to spinal stenosis or old injuries because he seems healthy and happy otherwise. At this point he has noted neurologic deficits. Did an MRI on him years ago and came back with nothing though. I did have to neuter him a year or two ago bc he was having prostate issues which have resolved but he was already losing weight prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 09-23-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Could be a lot of thins but Could just need wormer.
    Windows Down!

Any chance the loss of weight is more towards the rear end of his body? Have you noticed more “labored” breathing from him as he has gotten older?

If so, read up on “laryngeal paralysis”. I am certainly not a vet but I have told many older lab owners about it after mine was diagnosed. It was eye opening because at least in my experience it seems to be often overlooked. My 14 year old lab had this condition which ended up taking him. I believe if you catch it early enough your vet can do a corrective tie back procedure.

I am sure Glenn or your local vet can offer more if this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Any chance the loss of weight is more towards the rear end of his body? Have you noticed more “labored” breathing from him as he has gotten older?

If so, read up on “laryngeal paralysis”. I am certainly not a vet but I have told many older lab owners about it after mine was diagnosed. It was eye opening because at least in my experience it seems to be often overlooked. My 14 year old lab had this condition which ended up taking him. I believe if you catch it early enough your vet can do a corrective tie back procedure.

yes it is more toward the rear end of him than anything

Thanks, will call Vet this week
    Last edited by tprice; 09-23-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    yes it is more toward the rear end of him than anything

Thanks, will call Vet this week
    Could very well be this condition. Same sort of thing My dog is dealing with as well.

We would all be guessing the best thing for you to do is get the dog to a vet and get some blood work done. If it happens to be renal disease which I've dealt with on two occasions now, the sooner you get the dog to the vet the better.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Any conclusions?

Interested in an update as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post

My dog (Chesapeake) was diagnosed with this about three months ago. He has probably lost 25 pounds and started throwing up pretty much all the time. His hind legs are extremely weak, his bark is pitiful and his appetite was pretty diminished.

I am now on a ridiculously expensive prescription dog food, wet and dry and he takes an antacid. He eats well, but still pukes all the time and his legs are still weak. There is a prescription they can take, but the results are poor so my vet recommended against it. My dog is 13 and has honestly lived way the hell longer than I thought. Other than the vomit, strange bark and weight loss he’s pretty normal!!