Thread: Relocating trees

Default Relocating trees

I was able to get some chestnut trees today. The guy I got them from left them in the pots for 3-4 years so the roots grew down into the ground. We were able to save most of the roots in the ground and of course all of the roots that are still in the pots. My question is. How long will they survive without being replanted? I’m going to spend all day tomorrow planting as many as I can.

I would probably remove them from the pots and heel them into some good soil @ a water supply until winter.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Agreed. I wouldn’t plant them where you cant tend to them regularly until they are dormant.
    Carolina Counsel

The biggest issue would be making sure you get any girdling roots taken care of since they have been in the container for so long. You would be good to plant now since fall is the best time to plant trees. It’s already started going dormant anyway. Dig a nice wide hole and you will be fine.