Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you shooting

Default What are you shooting

Federal Black Cloud TSS
    $33.00 per 10

Tungsten Super Shot, or TSS, has been making the rounds in reloading circles for nearly a decade. At 18g/cc, TSS is more than twice as dense as steel and 56 percent denser than lead. This spring, Federal introduced a TSS turkey load. Now it’s waterfowlers’ turn. Black Cloud TSS is a duplex load containing 60 percent HEAVYWEIGHT TSS pellets and 40 percent FLITESTOPPER steel pellets. There are two initial 3-inch 12-gauge 1 1/4-ounce loads: BB steel/No. 7 TSS and No. 3 steel/No. 9 TSS. Though it will be exclusively available at Rogers Sporting Goods this fall, full dealer distribution will begin by 2019.

Environ-Metal Hevi-X
    $30 for 2 3/4-inch; $35 for 3-inch; $40 for 3 1/2-inch; and $29 for 20-gauge • 25 rounds per box

Hevi-X is Environ-Metal’s answer to the high price of tungsten-based shot. This medium density load is still denser than steel, yet it retains the hardness of Hevi-Shot, allowing the use of pellets two sizes smaller than steel. 12-gauge Hevi-X is available in 3 1/2-inch 13 3/8-ounce at 1,500 fps, 3-inch 1 1/4-ounce at 1, 450 fps, and 2 3/4-inch 1 1/16-ounce at 1,400 fps, in shot sizes 4, 2, or BB. The 3-inch 20-gauge load has 1-ounce of 4s or 2s at 1,400 fps.

Kent Bismuth Waterfowl
    $35 for 12-gauge; $33 for 20-gauge • 25 rounds per box

Kent Bismuth Waterfowl loads are denser, yet softer, than steel. With a density of 9.6g/cc, bismuth pellets are 24 percent denser than steel and retain more downrange energy. Being softer than steel means bismuth you can safely use it in older shotguns and through tighter chokes that don’t tolerate steel shot. 12-gauge loads include 3 1/2-inch 1 1/2-ounce at 1,450 fps, 3-inch 1 1/2-ounce or 1 3/8-ounce at 1,350 and 1,450 fps respectively, all with 4, 3, 2, or BB sized shot, and 2 3/4-inch with 1 1/4-ounce of number 4 at 1,350 fps. The lone 3-inch 20-gauge offering has a 1-ounce payload of 4, 3, or 2, at 1,400 fps.

Winchester Xtended Range Bismuth
    $35 • 10 rounds per box

New for 2018 from Winchester is Xtended Range Bismuth. This load pairs non-toxic bismuth shot, which is denser yet softer than steel, with Winchester’s proven Shot-Lok technology, which prevents the soft bismuth pellets from fracturing. The result is tighter patterns and improved down-range penetration than previous bismuth loads of the 1990s. There is currently one initial 3-inch 12-gauge offering with 1 5/8-ounce of number 5 shot at 1,200 fps. It’s a payload that makes Xtended Range Bismuth a good all-around choice for hunting both waterfowl and turkeys in lead-free zones.

Browning BXD Waterfowl
    $21 for 3-inch 12-gauge; $27 for 3 ½-inch; $19 for 20-gauge • 25 rounds per box

Browning ammunition has been steadily gaining popularity among hunters and target shooters alike. Browning’s BXD Waterfowl Extra Distance employs a long range wad to deliver round, plated steel shot downrange at high velocities. The 3.5-inch 12-gauge load has 1 1/2-ounce of BB or 2 shot at 1,500 fps, while the 3-inch 12-gauge load has 1 1/4-ounce of BB, 2, 4, or (new for 2018) 3 shot at 1,450 fps. Number 3s have also been added this year in 20-gauge, where they join the previously single sub-gauge offering with 1-ounce of number 2 at 1,300 fps.

Herter’s Select Steel
    $12 for 3-inch; $17 for 3 1/2-inch • 25 rounds per box

Herter’s lead game and target loads, available exclusively at Cabela’s, have gained a reputation for being both economical and effective. Continuing that theme, Herter’s recently introduced a line of affordable steel waterfowl loads. Loaded in Italy to Herter’s demanding standards, Select Steel is currently offered in a pair of high-velocity 12-gauge loads. The 3 1/2-inch load has 1 1/2-ounce of number 2 or BB shot, while the 3-inch load has 1 1/8-ounce of 3, 1, or BB shot. Both loads boast a blistering 1,550 fps velocity to help you intercept even the speediest of waterfowl.

Rio Bismuth
    10 rounds per box for 12- and 20-gauges • 25 rounds per box for 16, 28, and .410 gauges

Rio has been loading non-toxic Bismuth shot for a few years, but the packaging has been updated and the selection has steadily expanded to cover five major gauges. 12-gauge 2 3/4-inch offerings include 1 1/8-ounce and 1 1/4-ounce payloads, both at 1,350 fps, while 3-inch options have 1 5/8-ounce or 1 1/4-ounce payloads at 1,350 and 1,400 fps respectively, all in shot sizes 3, 4, 5, or 6. Rio also provides waterfowl and upland hunters alike with 16-gauge, 20-gauge, 28-gauge, and .410-bore loads, making this quite possibly the most extensive bismuth lineup out there.

Backridge Ammunition
    $30 for ITX-13; $22 for ITX-10 • 10 rounds per box

This start-up company out of Tennessee only loads non-toxic ITX shot in its waterfowl shotshells. There are two variants: ITX-10 is denser than bismuth, and ITX-13, which is denser than lead. Waterfowlers will be most interested in a pair of 3-inch 12-gauge ITX-13 loads, one with 1 1/4-ounce of number 4 shot at 1,350 fps, and another with 1 3/8-ounce of number 2 shot at 1,300 fps. There is also a new 3-inch 12-gauge load this year with 1 1/4-ounce of number 6 ITX-10 shot at 1,350 fps. Various 10-, 16-, 20-, and 28-gauge non-toxic waterfowl loads are also in the works.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/new-wate...mmunition-2018

I got 5lbs of SpheroTungsten the other week. Gotta sit down and load it. I plan to shoot it exclusively this season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

1,550 fps is moving.

Probably the same blue box federals ive always shot.

black cloud drops ducks like rain, bo
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Next week I'm going to shoot 2 cases of some Canadian steel BB's. I can't remember the brand, but the hulls are dark green
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

What's the number of shells You can cross the border with?

kent fasteel and Winchester xpert

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    What's the number of shells You can cross the border with?
    10 that's why they make those high dollar loads in 10 round boxes

Estates, or whatever else is cheap at Santee General.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Next week I'm going to shoot 2 cases of some Canadian steel BB's. I can't remember the brand, but the hulls are dark green
    Challengers.

None of that shit that is for sure. Blindsides are a massacre within.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Bingo. Damnit I can’t wait
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I like to try different stuff that hit the market every year but the fact of the matter is plain old steel will do the job. Its interesting to see what new stuff they come up with every year.

lead 6s
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    lead 6s
    High brass I hope?

of course...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I got my buddy’s empty hulls and box of that expensive stuff and reloaded them with lead. Have even been checked and not gotten caught.

You can carry 100 rounds across the CDN border duty free and as many as you want to pay duty on after that. We carry cases and they never ask us to pay duty...