Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Browning A5 wicked wing

Default Thoughts on the Browning A5 wicked wing

I’ve been shooting a benelli last few years, but came across a deal on a A5 wicked wing and couldn’t pass it up. I’m a big fan of the A5’s (I own 4 both new and old). I took it to the trap range and of course it wouldn’t cycle dove loads. I had some high brass in my truck and it cycled those with no hiccups. I guess my question is for all the guys who have the wicked wing how do you like it and have you had any issues with it? I love the way this gun looks and feels in the hand but I don’t know if I can trust it. And everything I’m reading about the gun it has some very mixed reviews. I haven’t gave it much of a chance yet with only just a few boxes of shells through it. I’m debating on keeping it and trying it out this season. Or going to sell it and use the money for a SBE3.

I have a couple of A5’s and love them. Can you explain the cycling problem? Is it an issue with extracting spent shells or feeding a new one?

BERETTA problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFlip View Post
    I have a couple of A5’s and love them. Can you explain the cycling problem? Is it an issue with extracting spent shells or feeding a new one?
    On the light dove loads it would shoot them but wouldn’t eject the spent shell or it would attempt to eject the shell but would hang halfway out and wouldn’t auto load the new unfired shell....with high brass I’ve had no issues (yet).

I've had about all the inertia guns and all the 3 &1/2 in guns don't like light loads. There is no good all around 2 & 3/4 to 3 &1/2 gun. If you want to shoot light loads buy a 3 inch gun. Or have several guns to choose from depending on what shells you will be using.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I've had about all the inertia guns and all the 3 &1/2 in guns don't like light loads. There is no good all around 2 & 3/4 to 3 &1/2 gun. If you want to shoot light loads buy a 3 inch gun. Or have several guns to choose from depending on what shells you will be using.
    what was your experience with a Browning Maxus?

I'm around a lot of shotguns all year and I can tell you without a doubt Beretta far out number all other Autos at Tournaments by a large margin. The Fiocchi Rep was bragging all over his Browning Maxus at one shoot. The next shoot he was shooting something else. Apparently it died a quick death somewhere in between.

A friend of mine that owns a gun shop told me if you wanna shoot a Browning Auto you better buy 2, cause you're gonna need one to swap parts.

Now granted, I'm talking high volume shooting, so for the average Joe that may shoot a couple thousand shells a year, you might be fine.

My benelli shoots light dove loads just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    My benelli shoots light dove loads just fine.
    So does mine. Never had one single issue with the same gun in 10 years. Whatever shell I put in it it shoots.

My Extremas are 3.5 and shoot light dove loads.

Quote Originally Posted by costeen22 View Post
    On the light dove loads it would shoot them but wouldn’t eject the spent shell or it would attempt to eject the shell but would hang halfway out and wouldn’t auto load the new unfired shell....with high brass I’ve had no issues (yet).
    I asked about the extracting because I know that Browning changed their steel hardening process of the extractors after having issues with them rounding off and not extracting effectively. That may or may not be part of your problem. You should be able to tell pretty easily by looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFlip View Post
    I asked about the extracting because I know that Browning changed their steel hardening process of the extractors after having issues with them rounding off and not extracting effectively. That may or may not be part of your problem. You should be able to tell pretty easily by looking at it.
    It ejectes high brass fine, or at least the box I shot out of it. I’ve read that a lot of 3.5 A5’s need to be “broke in” in order to shoot 1oz loads. I’m hoping this is the case with mine. I’ll look at the extractor and see if it looks off to me. Thanks for the heads up I wasn’t aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    So does mine. Never had one single issue with the same gun in 10 years. Whatever shell I put in it it shoots.
    My Benelli would hang up 50% of the time with light loads.

I don't think the browning maxis and Barrettas are inertia driven. Gas and spring guns are a lot more reliable that inertia.

My A5 has been 100% with high brass. I have not tried dove loads in it though.

I don't think the browning maxis and Barrettas are inertia driven. Gas and spring guns are a lot more reliable that inertia.
    How so. I just saw this and would actually like to hear your reasoning.

My Benelli would hang up 50% of the time with light loads.
    What benelli was it?

If you buy a gas driven maxus or beretta or even a versamax, you can shoot 3.5" shells AND light 3/4 oz reloads. An inertia gun just isn't going to be physically capable of shooting light and heavy loads.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    If you buy a gas driven maxus or beretta or even a versamax, you can shoot 3.5" shells AND light 3/4 oz reloads. An inertia gun just isn't going to be physically capable of shooting light and heavy loads.
    My SBEII has never had a single issue shooting light and heavy loads. Hell, I had a mixed bag of shells in a dove field last weekend and it functioned thru a limit of doves flawlessly.

My Benelli shoots dove and duck loads without issue. Then again, so does my Browning. You people ever clean your guns?