Thread: Who has responsibility for blocked ditches?

Default Who has responsibility for blocked ditches?

There are ditches that run across my property. If one gets blocked and a neighbor's land won't drain, can I be compelled to clean ditches?

Actually, I'm on the other end of that scenario. The beavers have blocked a ditch downstream of my property and mine won't drain. Does the County, Corp of Engineers, or any other entity have jurisdiction or responsibility to clear ditches across private property?

What kind of ditch? Personal drainage ditch for a field? Or something that helps to pull water off the highway? Note I didn't say a ditch beside the road. A ditch that pulls water away from the highway.

I'd be hard pressed to ask Corp, EPA, or any other government agency on my place to start talking about ditches. Maybe DOT. That would be it.

Where is the property?

If ditch is on private property, it is owners responsibility unless county has been granted an easement, which transfers maintenance to them.

in a yankee state I worked in for a while, we were unsuccessful in compelling the neighbor to remove a beaver dam that impeded my client's drainage.
    in a Southern state I went to school in for a while, sometimes USDA Wildlife Services could be convinced to do the trapping when beaver needed to be removed

Would also depend if the road is considered, a state road, county road or city road. Plus would depend on how far off the road the problem is.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

The beavers will have to be dealt with. Maybe offer the neighbor to go in on professional trapping as a first step?

sneak down there and blow up the damn.
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37

#connibeartime

If the water is backed up on your property, you can bet they are traveling the ditch to feed. It may take a little longer but they can be trapped. Ditch beavers are easy.

I had they same problem. My neighbor was scared to trap so we made a deal. Once I got the beavers he had to deal with the dam.

I caught 7 before it ended.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-20-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Not a roadway. Just private property in Dorchester County.

I'm getting a new pond dug. We may be able to pump enough water to make it a problem for the downstream neighbor. Not on good terms with the neighbor.

The new ponds are covering the boggy area that the beaver has been living in. He/they are going to have to find a new place to live. They are trap shy and damn good at tripping a conibear without getting caught. I may have to record a trickling water MP3 to use on my game caller to trick them out into the open.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The beavers will have to be dealt with. Maybe offer the neighbor to go in on professional trapping as a first step?
    What he said.
    DILLIGAF

If there is an easement, the county or whoever the entity is, can go clear it out. If its beavers, it won't matter unless they are dead.

Not much you can do other than offer to pay for having the ditch cleaned. Where does the water drain to, county ditch or swamp?
    cut\'em