Thread: hunting with sub-sonic

Default hunting with sub-sonic

How many of you deer hunt with sub-sonic ammo? Do you have any concerns about it not being powerful enough?

I have researched it and can't make myself comfortable shooting subsonics at game.
    Carolina Counsel

The one doe i saw shot with it, at 40 yards, I watched it punch right through, and we never laid our hands on her. Not to mention the rainbow trajectory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Definitely not. We talking 300 blackout?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I have researched it and can't make myself comfortable shooting subsonics at game.
    This.

I was fixing to leave the stand one morning and decided to see what it would do. I shot one of the green fiberglass pipeline markers at approx. 50 yards. It smacked it hard but did not even penetrate the fiberglass. That made the decision for me. 300BO is what I was shooting.

Now, for the hypersonic Barnes black tips. They beez da shat!

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...Ahh-sookie-now!!
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 09-20-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Yep 110 Barnes is bad medicine

I have killed a few with subsonics. I keep my range within 100 yards and use bullets designed for low velocity maximum expansion. My favorites are the Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion. https://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...ant=1066138648

I've never lost a deer with a good shot in the ribs. The damage looks like a broadhead went through them.

I figurt they would tumble

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Definitely not. We talking 300 blackout?
    no, talking about a 308

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    no, talking about a 308
    You'd have basically the same ballistics/same bullets as a 300BLK subsonic.

Gotcha. What's your reasoning for wanting to go the subsonic route, if you don't mind me asking? And what rifle is it?

only with the squirrels out back...gives the dog an opportunity to chase the wounded down

Actually it’s probably worse than 300bo.

Unless you specifically set out to shoot subs my guess is you have a twist rate that is less than adequate.

That being said be careful if it is a 1:10—-1:12 stay away from the 200 gr pills unless you want a baffle strike in that can of yours!

It may it may not but eventually it will. I’ve seen it twice now.

If your loading sub in a 308 case try Trail Boss it will get you where you want to go. It is super bulky and will halve enough powder in the case to keep it from detonating but will keep you at sun sonic speeds.

Now let’s say you have a 1:7 twist barrel.

I knew a guy who once took several 220 gr round noses put them in a lathe opened the center up. Put 4gr of red dot in the cavity then place a small pistol primer in reverse ie the target it is the firing pin.
    Seal the primer in fingernail polish.

It was a really nasty round.

You typically still had 180 gr of projectile and it would “shatter”

As well as over mushroom it was more like a pancake.

I enlightened the young man that was illegal.

I have run acasionally run across some API .30 pull down projo. They will consistently open on pigs heads at sub sonic speeds. Bodies meh hit or miss. Super sonic yes.
    I have more respect for a deer than to try something like that on, one plus as thin skinned as they are I would be scared it would not preform correctly.

Good luck!

This is right up my alley.
    Hence the name!!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Gotcha. What's your reasoning for wanting to go the subsonic route, if you don't mind me asking? And what rifle is it?
    just curious, rifle is a 308

People have shot deer with just about every caliber I can think of, so just wondering about the sub-sonic stuff
    Last edited by FHF; 09-20-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Sure

I do it with the mindset of a bowhunter. All shots have to be in range and well placed. I know I'm shooting a projectile with marginal terminal energy, more than an arrow but less than a .357 pistol. (I've killed deer with both of those too.) Everything has to be right and within the limits of the weapon... shot placement, proper bullet for the job, and range being the biggest considerations. Indians killed a lot of deer with a lot less. It's just as easy to take bigger risks at wounding deer by taking long shots with "high powered" rifles. You just have to set your limits and stay inside them.