Thread: Columbia to Garden City?

Default Columbia to Garden City?

Several months ago we rented a beach house in Garden City for a quick weekend get-a-way. Rental company and homeowner said the house is ok so rental weekend is still a go.

With the NC flood water making its way into the Pee Dee and Horry County I wanted to see if you local guys had any recommendations on a travel route based on current conditions?

I usually take country roads to Georgetown then 17N to Garden City.

Thanks in advance!

378 to 261 to 521 to 17N is fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

26-526-17 is wide open too.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Don’t go. I grew up in that area. The waters are going to rise higher and higher. There is a good chance by the end of the week there may only be one route in and out of the beach. There is currently a large military ship sitting off the coast full of suppplies to send to shore once the waccamaw river cuts Conway off from the beach.
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37

17 at Brookgreen Gardens was flooded yesterday. Folks were driving through it though.

The Waccamaw will likely cut the east side of the county off with the exception of Hwy 22 by the weekend. Getting around at the beach will be fine. Getting out may take some time, but should be doable by either Hwy 22 or 17 especially if you are willing to leave fairly early before traffic picks up. I'd reccomend through Georgetown then up 17. I think Georgetown will be fine to travel through, no major flooding expected there.

Quote Originally Posted by lowbudget View Post
    The Waccamaw will likely cut the east side of the county off with the exception of Hwy 22 by the weekend. Getting around at the beach will be fine. Getting out may take some time, but should be doable by either Hwy 22 or 17 especially if you are willing to leave fairly early before traffic picks up. I'd reccomend through Georgetown then up 17. I think Georgetown will be fine to travel through, no major flooding expected there.
    No major flooding expected??? You obviously haven’t been to Georgetown much....that said....the 378>527>261>Nesmith Rd>51>17 is my go to route and should be just fine from flooding....Georgetown will flood and already is in some areas but only during High Tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

The Waccamaw is forecasted to be 10% (19.9ft) above its all time recorded high of 17.9ft . 10% above an all-time number is a big deal. The city of Conway was trying to sue SCDOT over some efforts to prevent HWY 501 from closing. Once that water leaves Conway it is going straight to Georgetown. WAZE is the best for mapping around active road closings. The Pee Dee and Little Pee Dee are forecasted to be within 10% of their all-time highs, so it will be a dynamic situation. I doubt you will be trapped by any means, but you may being going home a different route than you came. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Thanks guys.

I am originally from Surfside and very familiar with Horry County, the rivers, what and where floods, etc. Just wanted to confirm what I was thinking...

Regardless, change of plans. My brother’s mother in law passed away unexpectedly this morning so the trip is cancelled. We were very close to her and it has been total shock to the family. Just another reminder to hug your loved ones, tell them you Love them, live without regrets, and remember you are never guaranteed tomorrow with someone.

Please keep his wife and our families in your Prayers.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prayers and condolences on your loss JR.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Sorry to hear that Johnny.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Sorry to hear this. Godspeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson