Thread: Lake Robinson / Prestwood Lake possible flooding downstream

Default Lake Robinson / Prestwood Lake possible flooding downstream

It looks like Prestwood lake cannot handle the inflow from lake Robinson (40,000 CFPS)..... My neighborhood is being warned now to be prepared for the water. Damn crazy times. Not a soul has flood insurance here.

b0ec63f130cd0a5112178b67c36fa767.jpg

80bf656197fa3d404fa35f66c2292faf.jpg

So sorry Josh. Let me know if we can help. Hope & pray the water doesn't get to you.

Praying that y'all are spared.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

USGS streamflow data for black creek above hartsville sc shows the max rate of water that was released from Robinson. For educational purposes of course. Nowhere even remotely close to 40,000cfs....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I could post what 40,000 cfs would look like if one is such interested.

I would speculate Duke power can not afford a dam failure on a nuclear power plant lake.....so they poured out enough to prevent that.

And at Prestwood, I would guess they had to release less than was coming in to defend legal challenges from downstream.

Either way, it sucks.

Let us know if we can help Josh.

Yea regardless of what water is going where I hope yall are spared any damage.

Yeah, sorry. I was off on CFPS... 4,000 CFPS would be more accurate as a max outflow from lake Robinson. Regardless, Sonoco could not handle the inflow and their operations are underwater at this point. We keep getting warnings that anyone within a half mile of black creek should be prepared to seek shelter. The country club in Darlington is flooded like no one has ever seen. This is only a few blocks from my house. It baffles me that a multi billion dollar company would build their operations center downstream of their dam

This picture is of hole number 10. I've seen water at the very back tree line many years ago... But, nothing like this. This is actually not the highest from the week but is a good example.
    42195070_311296222981419_6915860939652726784_n.jpg

Sonoco which built its operations downstream of their dam. They are either extremely confident in their dam or pretty damn stupid to put everything behind the flood gates. The latter is more likely as they are shut down because the plant is under water.
    42123596_322816404941792_8932896792966594560_n.jpg

The only potential solution is to plan ahead. Drain down as low as possible days before the rain starts. I don't think any sort of dam control or release rate could have prevented any of this but it would've helped. We throttled back as much as possible without jeopardizing our impoundment integrity but the fact is that no one could've imagined the amount of inflow that poured into Robinson. It was an awesome sight but terrifying at the same time. Mother nature will always win. I prayed for those downstream and still am. Black creek was finally looking somewhat normal below old Camden today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk