Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto (Cajun) Navy-Waccamaw River

Default Palmetto (Cajun) Navy-Waccamaw River

I have helped with Waccamaw River floods before. However, one time I went I was threatened to be arrested as a looter if I put my boat in the water by a group of Horry County Sherrif deputies mixed with DNR gents. I, along with many others would like to help any way we can. If there is someone on here that can hook me up with someone that will be coordinating those efforts, I would like to begin a thread to call for volunteers. So do not contact me now to volunteer, wait until I, or someone else, can start a thread once we have official channels established.

For what it is worth, I am a USCG licensed captain and can take responsibility for my boat and crew, but I would think in time of crisis such as this being credentialed is not necessary. If the forecast below is anywhere near accurate it represents a high water mark 10% higher than the all time record in Conway. Combine that with the fact that Horry and Gerogetown counties are still under evacuations, those efforts to recover people, pets, and property will be delayed.

As for me, if I cannot get an official channel to greenlight this effort, I will go to where I witnessed need from prior events. However, I am not encouraging anyone else to engage in this reckless humanitarianism. Please PM me with contact names and numbers, without both of those it will not be much help. Thanks, MG

F6D753FE-24C6-4A2F-953F-07363356C9F5.jpg
    Dum Spiro Spero

The boys in LA are reporting to be careful with the "Cajun Navy" apparently there are some shitbags (imagine that in Louisiana) who are trying to profit off the hard work of the good old boys who just want to help. Supposedly there are 3 groups running around claiming to be "The" Cajun Navy. Hopefully someone will see this and get it sorted out...

Just go do shit for people. Stop worrying about "rules".

Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG sent you a PM

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Just go do shit for people. Stop worrying about "rules".
    Had that conversation with some bright young men that were very convincing in telling me that anyone on the river that was not one of "theirs" would be arrested for looting. I thought he was joking then he sent a HCSD deputy over to my truck as I was backing in who told me I was about to be arrested. Htere was no doubt that he was not joking, so I went back to Florence. The next storm, I just went upriver and did what I could for as long as I could. It just seems that some coordination would be better. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The boys in LA are reporting to be careful with the "Cajun Navy" apparently there are some shitbags (imagine that in Louisiana) who are trying to profit off the hard work of the good old boys who just want to help. Supposedly there are 3 groups running around claiming to be "The" Cajun Navy. Hopefully someone will see this and get it sorted out...
    Yeah, I am not interested in what it is called, but I reasoned that with the publicity of the cajun navy that these types of volunteerism shold be more welcomed. I have met some of those sh!tbags from LA and it is not hard to believe if they will name aligators before they kill them then they would sell a cajun navy t-shirt too. Anyway, I have several contacts that have been sent my way and I am reaching out. Hope to have an info thread soon. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

MG lack of coordination is a huge issue. Most fire departments are not allowed to self dispatch to large emergencies to assist. It can and does cause a lot of problems the IC does not need.

I saw the CN in action during Harvey and thought they were a heck of a resource to supplement the governmental agencies. I can see where there could be some issues though. I'm wondering if they report to anyone such as an incident command post or other authorities. If they don't that could cause some problems for several reasons. But...if they do cooridnate with local authorities they could be a fine resource.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-15-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    MG lack of coordination is a huge issue. Most fire departments are not allowed to self dispatch to large emergencies to assist. It can and does cause a lot of problems the IC does not need.

I saw the CN in action during Harvey and thought they were a heck of a resource to supplement the governmental agencies. I can see where there could be some issues though. I'm wondering if they report to anyone such as an incident command post or other authorities. If they don't that could cause some problems for several reasons. But...if they do cooridnate with local authorities they could be a fine resource.
    They mustered at SCFA in Columbia, with SC Task Force 1. They are detached through FEMA.

Steve

ETaylor and a group are in Pembroke NC now. I may head up there in the morning since it looks like we dodged it here in Berkeley.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post

The CN has ties to the local resources and works areas or incidents assigned to them. They also had their on dispatch either connecting to local resources or calling in one of their own teams. They work off a spread sheet that has incident info recorded on. An admin would issue the call to a dispatch and they would take it from there doing the ground work to get the right resources involved. Thursday night they got overwhelmed and shut their channel down and instructed everyone needing assistance or wanting to volunteer to use the website below.
    www.crowdsourcerescue.com
    Last edited by Goin Coastal; 09-15-2018 at 06:13 PM.
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

PM sent MG....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 09-15-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

That's good to know. If it's a coordinated effort it really can't get any better than that. I was the IC on a shit load of calls and I promise you don't need any more headaches than you already have.
    I wouldn't mind helping myself, but between my hip and committing my boat to my old fire department if needed, I'm pretty much stuck here.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-15-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Sent you a PM willing to help.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Had that conversation with some bright young men that were very convincing in telling me that anyone on the river that was not one of "theirs" would be arrested for looting. I thought he was joking then he sent a HCSD deputy over to my truck as I was backing in who told me I was about to be arrested. Htere was no doubt that he was not joking, so I went back to Florence. The next storm, I just went upriver and did what I could for as long as I could. It just seems that some coordination would be better. MG
    I don't see how a deputy could arrest you for "looting" with no evidence of proof of intent. I mean, we as citizens are still innocent into proven guilty, right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I don't see how a deputy could arrest you for "looting" with no evidence of proof of intent. I mean, we as citizens are still innocent into proven guilty, right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Not as long as DNR can perform Safety Checks. Were you doing anything wrong that they asked you how many beers you've had? And when you say none, they ask you to blow. And when you say no you are arrested for refusal. Yep, sounds quilty till proven innocent.

State of emergency has different rules. Curfues, off limits, etc.

You right Dick. You have to put your self in their position to they don't know you from Adam's house cat.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-16-2018 at 06:54 AM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I95 closed at Dillon due to flooding
    Last edited by Goin Coastal; 09-16-2018 at 10:52 AM.

A buddy just spoke to the Marion County Sheriff. They are good right now but may need help in a couple days when everything peaks. Nichols is underwater now but they got everyone out ahead of time. They are also expecting Dillon to get hit hard. They will be in touch if they need assistance. Haven't had any official communication but Conway is starting to flood as well. If someone wants to help, you may want to reach out to an official there.