Thread: Saturday night! Lets Rock n Roll.

Default Saturday night! Lets Rock n Roll.

So during my time off from the ducks page I managed to dive further into my guitar addiction.

I'm curious as to what the resident players think as well as any with first hand knowledge from back in the day.

So I've been trying to get that Jimmy Page sound. After reading countless blogs, articles, books, and folks who say they know I think I finally came up with what Page was actually running at least from 72' through the end of Zep.

I noticed everything you can buy pedal wise tends to "dirty" up the sound as well juice the signal.

This did not sound right even to my untrained ear.

To me Page always sounded clean, but loud.

I started looking into Marshall Majors, and other 200 watt set ups. Blackmore was running the Marshall Major and getting 200 watts, but these amps don't sound like the live boot legs of Zep.

Plus when you see the videos from Madison Square Garden and other live videos it is clear Page is playing a Plexi. 100watt plexi.

But when you zoom in he doesn't have it cranked to "10"

This got me even more curious.

After several books interviews and chats I discovered what best fit the bill.

Page had his amp modded in NY. He had KT88's installed and the resistor values matched. He did not swap the transformers or boards. Thus giving him 180 watts, but clean. KT88's don't saturate as fast as EL34's. This allowed him to run it at 6-7 as it appears in the videos.

No big deal get a plexi and swap the tubes out right? Wrong. There are a few other tweaks to it, and I just so happened to find a guy building that amp!
    http://www.royalamps.com

Meet the MSG 100:

Ok. So now we have the amp. What do we need next? Cabinets. No, not a single cab or some 2 speaker set up.....No we need a full stack like back in the day!

Oh. Wait so when I started I had a Marshall DSL100 and 2 MX412 cabs one strait one curved.

So after talking with several different guys they all said I needed the old Pre-Rola Celstions Green backs would be golden. But I could buy Black backs on eBay. This sounds great until you realize G12H 30 that is 40 years old is only 225$ and remember you need 8 of them!!!! No thank you!

So this lead me to Jim over at Scumback Speakers. The man is a walking talking encyclopedia on speakers. He started making a exact clone with the paper cones and all. Amazing!
    http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/index.html
    The H55/25w is the old green backs. HOLY CRAP! Its amazing.

So what you end up with is one heck of a clean LOUD set up!
    I need to get Shotunderit to bring his burst over and try it on the set up!

I've contemplated having a 1 off custom built, but I don't think the guitar is gonna make that big of a difference for me personally at my skill level.

Anyway.
    So all you old coots that have been around since the mid 70's and dreamed of playing on stage in front of 100k kids screaming and you studied every thing you could on Page, please let me know what you know. Especially on the technical side. I'm more of a get geek than player, but I'm getting better. I have a very long way to go. But love discussing all the technical aspects!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I have to think about this. How far are you willing to go down this rabbit hole?
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

I'd say me and Alice have been walking hand in hand.

Got a score on some real PAF pickups. Can't decide to pull the trigger or not.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Do you still have my number? DO NOT BUY THOSE UNTIL YOU HAVE SPOKEN WITH ME!!!
    Last edited by Shotunderit; 09-17-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"