Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do y’all make gravy ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How do y’all make gravy ??

Wife and I have never fried much food at all, honestly about only thing we fry is deer cube steak . Everything else is pretty much grilled

Wife makes pretty good gravy but lately I have been making it.

When I fry cube steak I leave a little oil and dripping in pan, pour flour mixed with COLD water (friend told me to use cold instead of hot and he was spot on ) and use a whisk and mix it. Add little milk and water as needed

Tonight due to off/on rain I cook hamburger steak in skillet (always use cast Iron skillet my that was my grandmothers and she died 20 yrs ago) . I had also put some mushrooms and onions is with hamburger steaks . Took all that out for most part and did same deal with flour and cold water . Whisked till smooth adding a little extra water

Both turn out ok to me but seem like they are missing something, maybe not enough salt and/or pepper (try not to use a lot of salt naturally ).

I tell my wife I want gravy.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I do mine like yours but use zero water. Leave about a table spoon or 2 of oil with the little pieces still in there, whisk in some flour until it becomes almost a thick consistency then I slowly add cold milk in. Let it sit, stir until it thickens again, then keep adding the milk until it gets to where you want it. Get it too runny? Simple, add a little flour until it thickens up. Salt and pepper to your taste. I usually use the flour I dipped the cube steak into, as I put my seasonings in the flour itself.
    every expert was once a beginner

I was in the mood for the squirts this am so I made tomato gravy.
    IMG_20180915_110614981.jpg
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Equal parts fat(reserved oil or butter) and flour over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring often. This takes the raw edge off the four. If it starts taking on color back off the heat. You want a blonde roux. The darker the roux, the less it thickens, but the deeper the flavor. From here it depends on what flavor you want the gravy to be. Milk, low sodium chicken stock or beef stock... all cold, like you said. Cold stock means no lumps. Add liquid and Whisk until combined and raise heat to med hi, stirring. When it comes to a simmer it will be as thick as it is going to be, so reduce or add more stock to reach desired consistency. Taste and adjust for seasoning. You almost always need salt and pepper.
    Last edited by wskinner; 09-15-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Equal parts fat(reserved oil or butter) and flour over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring often. This takes the raw edge off the four. If it starts taking on color back off the heat. You want a blonde roux. The darker the roux, the less it thickens, but the deeper the flavor. From here it depends on what flavor you want the gravy to be. Milk, low sodium chicken stock or beef stock... all cold, like you said. Cold stock means no lumps. Add liquid and Whisk until combined and raise heat to med hi, stirring. When it comes to a simmer it will be as thick as it is going to be, so reduce or add more stock to reach desired consistency. Taste and adjust for seasoning. You almost always need salt and pepper.
    Thanks, wife suggested beef or chicken stock when I was doing it tonight to see how that would be.

Will try that next time

Sounds like the water is what is diluting the flavor

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Thanks, wife suggested beef or chicken stock when I was doing it tonight to see how that would be.

Will try that next time

Sounds like the water is what is diluting the flavor
    Check out this video. Gravy part is toward the end.
    https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011...een-onion.html

Good gravy doesn't have water in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    Good gravy doesn't have water in it.
    No it doesn't!
    every expert was once a beginner

A good rich gravy has plenty onion in it.
    U serious Clark?

That food wishes dude has some good recipes and instructions. I visit his site often.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    That food wishes dude has some good recipes and instructions. I visit his site often.
    Him and Alton Brown taught me how to cook

Is this man seriously asking a recipe for a fried food gravy? Go back to Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by ReelHard View Post
    Is this man seriously asking a recipe for a fried food gravy? Go back to Ohio

Funny

Just have never really made gravy, I can cook damn near anything but wife has always made the gravy when I get done. Last few times I have made it and it is just missing something . Gonna try the beef broth and no water next time

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Funny

Just have never really made gravy, I can cook damn near anything but wife has always made the gravy when I get done. Last few times I have made it and it is just missing something . Gonna try the beef broth and no water next time
    Don't you know you're supposed to be born knowing how to do everything? How dare you openly admit and try to learn.

Different gravy requires different stuff. Milk gravy, red eye gravy, brown gravy, tomato gravy, sausage gravy. Just a few of the most popular. Each has it's own needs and different liquid/spice combos and roux cook times.

Practice makes perfect and the only person who has to enjoy it is you. So read some recipes, follow them then get philosophical from there.

Mom taught me to cook. Alton filled in the gaps. I found Food Wishes last Fall. It reminds me of Good Eats and has me cooking new stuff again.

add the flour right to your pan drippings and "brown" the flour a little before you add the water or milk.
    Using beef broth instead of water or milk can enhance it, also a tab of butter will add some richness.
    Season your gravy like anything else you cook

I flour my cube steak and fry it in oil just to brown it. Then in a casserole dish I mix a can of mushroom soup, a tbsp or 2 of flour and about 2 cups of water. Put the cube steak in the casserole dish after I brown it , cover it with tin foil, and then put it in the oven on 350 for an hour. When it’s about done I use what’s left of the oil to fry okra in.

National Geographic needs to do a study on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    National Geographic needs to do a study on this site.
    I'm not sure National Geographic is ready for us just yet
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...