Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmetto (Cajun) Navy-Waccamaw River

All the boats and personnel that were staged at the Academy from around the southeast have been long gone to parts unknown. I thought I saw the boys from Louisiana mud boat on Fox. I may check at the Academy tomorrow to see if they go need any citizen resources if they do I may head out as well. I know one thing though, there is a ton of boats and personnel from all across the United States here.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    All the boats and personnel that were staged at the Academy from around the southeast have been long gone to parts unknown. I thought I saw the boys from Louisiana mud boat on Fox. I may check at the Academy tomorrow to see if they go need any citizen resources if they do I may head out as well. I know one thing though, there is a ton of boats and personnel from all across the United States here.
    Most of us are In Bennettsville I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

I didn't read all of the post here, but I've been very involved over the last few days with Triton Relief (www.tritonrelief.org). We're 100% non-profit. It's a bunch of the Cajun Navy guys and girls who split off from the Cajun Navy when things fell apart after Harvey (not going to get into that). Triton Relief is very organized with the dispatchers who previously ran CN. We are partnered with North American Bowfishing Association (or close to that) who have brought over 90 airboats to the area. They've been rescuing out of Lumberton, Wilmington, New Burn, etc. over the last few days. Water's headed to us down on the Waccamaw, Pee Dee, and possibly down to Georgetown. Dillon/ Sellers are pretty flooded now from recent reports. I haven't rec'd any reports about Conway yet. If you know anyone in imminent danger, please go to the Triton Relief website above and complete all the needed information. If you want to volunteer for rescue, fill out the form.

During the last big flood, someone posted a link to a site that you could enter your address and raise the water levels to see your likelihood of flooding. Does anybody know what site that was??
    Last edited by MKW; 09-16-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

If they are in eminent danger they best call 911 first then contact the various volunteer organizations. If an individual or organization is not coordinating with the EOC, there is a huge problem.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-16-2018 at 06:29 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

So as an update, we ran all day today and hooked up with United Cajun Navy with mixed results so we opened up with crowd source rescue for dispatchmandy worke d until curfew. It was eerie, just as we were leaving the dispatchers called for evacuations of all rescuers as the temp levee had failed catastrophically. As a result, the middle school that was housing over 200 was itself being evacuated when a wall collapsed.

Tomorrow we are headed to Dillon, Marlboro, and Chesterfield counties first and work some cases. Travel was tough and tougher as the day wore on. If not for a mildly lifted Denali diesel, we would have had to turn back on most calls. Stay safe and if you have an immediate need go to crowd source rescue and enter the circumstance they will dispatch help for you. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Cool, sad pic from today. Here I am in front of the Center. arts and Sciences for Robeson County complete with planetarium. If will be awhile before stars come out in here again. MG

73087830-6BC2-4E08-9217-DC03C30F11DD.jpg
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 09-16-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Thanks for all your hard work and effort MG.

May God smile upon you for all of this effort!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Thanks but I'm no hero, just a guy with a boat. My God, my family, and my friends have blessed me so much in my life I would have to live three lifetimes to catch up. Say what you want about the governor's closing things too soon in SC and NC but it Seems to have paid off in lives lost and preparedness. MG

FWIW I did not see one American Red Cross vehicle, sign, or vest. Over the past decade or so, I have lost my faith in that organization.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Cool, sad pic from today. Here I am in front of the Center. arts and Sciences for Robeson County complete with planetarium. If will be awhile before stars come out in here again. MG

73087830-6BC2-4E08-9217-DC03C30F11DD.jpg
    We lost both rear logs on the RIB today. Down to two self bailing inflatables and 1 RIB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

MG, I have been in Lumberton, Pembroke, and Raft Swamp since Saturday. My sons and I met up with some Cajun Navy buddies as they were passing through Lexington and came with them. Lots of damage, alot of great work helping people in need, by ordinary people from all walks of life. Restores your faith to see so many great people working together. Water is finally receding, so I am headed south in the morning if nothing major happens over night.
    E T

Tuesday Update
    Well it took a few days but have run into the same resistance that I experienced years ago that I mentioned in my original post. Sheriff deputies, when we encountered them all threatened us if we put a boat in and that "they had it under control using THEIR boats and humvees.". I explained that we wanted to check a few remote areas on Black Creek. The response was that they had gone to each house and only one person remained. Well this was not true because, unknowned to them, we had already run one rescue on Black Creek just an hour earlier.

I will not divulge who, but they are members here, had much the same experience in Dillon and Horry counties. I had none of these issues in NC but they were desperate. Lumberton is turning away outside assistance now, according to dispatch. If you know of someone or are in need of a high water rescue, use the Palmetto Navy Facebook page or the Crowd Source Rescue. I am going back to work tomorrow unless I get more cases but there are still those working. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

good stuff
    the days of personal responsibility are gone. why cant you do whatever the hell you want to? is this not a free country any more?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Lots of good folks out helping. I believe I spoke with a number of folks on this site in Lumberton Sunday and probably don't even know it. Thanks to all for your assistance and willingness to assist.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    good stuff
    the days of personal responsibility are gone. why cant you do whatever the hell you want to? is this not a free country any more?

So true!

But as I say that I look over the landscape and boy is the optics different than during Katrina.

There are far more reporters climbing in ditches reporters trying to get the worst possible angles, and begging people to ask for assistance.

Team Carolina is just saying we all pull together. We do what we have to do. Not sure what we are gonna do, we lost everything, but we are gonna make it!

The local governments were as ready as someone can possibly be for this!

This compared to OMG where is da gubment.

We dyin down here. Bush don't care about us.

Bush caused all this.

Ray Nagan left all the school busses sitting idle to make the situation worse.

Yes, self reliance is gone, but we as Carolinians have shown the world how to handle a catastrophe and graciously ask for any assistance that anyone may lend us in our time of need, but no one is demanding anything!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    So true!

Yes, self reliance is gone, but we as Carolinians have shown the world how to handle a catastrophe and graciously ask for any assistance that anyone may lend us in our time of need, but no one is demanding anything!
    In New Orleans, there is unclaimed money and empty lots to build new houses, all the people have to do is show proof of their ownership of the previous house. So what is the big deal? The problem is many of these people had no ownership (read as didnt pay taxes or squatted when someone else died) and the Parish politicians allowed people to do so because they kept voting for them. What world would we live in if we didnt pay taxes on our house and nobody cared? They said that they would even act if they could produce a water bill, tax notice or any thing connecting them legally to the house. The American Red Cross had millions left in the Katrina fund that they went to court to be able to use for other disasters. By the law if something was given for one purpose it cannot be used for another so the ARC now no longer pushes for you to give for a specific fund.

Find people or organizations to give your money directly to during these times. The more hands that touch a dollar before it is used for relief diminshes its value and increases the chance it will be misused. Remember when the world was upset when Bush delayed coming to New Orleans and flew over the Superdome while people were dying? Interesting that this red state does not seem to be upset that Trump has not pulled on hip waders and stood in front of sand bags. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

The media was unreal up there. I had a New York Times photographer begging me to take him with me. CNN, MSNBC, NBC and a number of other locals were all there. The best one I did talk to, was NRA news. We had a Discovery Channel crew stay with us the entire time. They were doing some kind of documentary. They slept in the back Bay of the Raft Swamp Fire station with all of us.
    Last edited by E. Taylor; 09-18-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    E T

"f you know of someone or are in need of a high water rescue, use the Palmetto Navy Facebook page or the Crowd Source Rescue."

I don't understand why some of you keep saying this. A person in need should absolutely call 911 first. Let them dispatch the units out wether it is guvment or some other organization. Contacting PN or CN should only be done after calling 911 and finding out there is a huge delay or problem with units getting there. Those of you making these post should clarify this! This is just one reason why it is extremely critical that anyone participating be part of the EOC and that is not hard to do. And for God's sake if someone says they don't need you don't take it personal. Sometimes having too many personnel involved can be just as bad as not having enough.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-18-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I didn't see where he called for anyone not to call 911 first.
    You're jumping to assumptions and conclusions!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE