Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat Scuppers

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Here's where I'm at to resolve this same issue...
    I have ping pong scuppers on the back and in the drains, neither did anything. I removed the top of the fitting, made a fiberglass cover to glue down and clean it up then will seal it all back up and go forward using plugs.
    Our floor drains are different

Where are your batteries located? Can you move them forward? Can you add weight in the bow and just trim differently when running?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Where are your batteries located? Can you move them forward? Can you add weight in the bow and just trim differently when running?
    Two batteries in the back but I’m about to add two more batteries that will be located under the port console for a trolling motor

You don’t need 4 batteries. Find someone that can wire the two properly to run what you need and move the two forward. Get the weight out of the stern.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Moving batteries if possible is a great idea.

I’ve used ones similar to these. Not 100% but help. Can be opened easy to clean if debris gets clogged. Not sure if the make them to fit your deck setup.

https://www.marinewarehouse.com.au/s...ck-drain-1-1-2

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    You don’t need 4 batteries. Find someone that can wire the two properly to run what you need and move the two forward. Get the weight out of the stern.
    2 batteries to run a 24v trolling motor, electronics, pumps, live well, cranking etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    reeltight,
    I don't think the scuppers on the transom are the problem - there's an in-line scupper on a 1 1/2" hose between the transom scuppers and the floor drain. I've been working on a few other problems but I'm going to pull the in-line units and see if they can be cleaned. Hopefully, that'll help some. I'll let you know what I find.
    Inline check valves are a bad idea on boats that have little drop between the floor drain and hull drain. Especially if positioned below the waterline. While when operating correctly, they will keep water from backing up into the floor, they will also keep water from exiting the floor as the outside water pressure is greater than the pressure of the water trying to exit the deck. They will also get clogged with trash and debris and not work as intended as yours might be.

Reeltight, with the boat static in the water, measure from the gunnel to the waterline. Then measure from the gunnel to the floor drain and keep in mind the collector is a little below the floor. If the floor measurement is same or greater than the waterline measurement, there isn't much you can do. The floor is below the water. You could add check valves but you risk it not draining if left in the water and it rains. Being it's a Key West and contains lots of foam, they boat is probably heavier now than it was when new. The current drain system probably worked great till foam soaked up water over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    2 batteries to run a 24v trolling motor, electronics, pumps, live well, cranking etc. ?
    Yes. What pumps are you continuously running? Your main engine has an slternator on it right? Maybe you add one more house and separate your cranking. Don’t add weight to a boat with drainage issues. Ralph nailed it 100%, wet boats to begin with and now wet foam. Redistribute the weight starting with the batteries.

My old Mako would let water backup like that. I made plugs out of tennis balls and put a rope in them that could be popped out. We forgot to remove them one day and had to pick up and run fast. Took a green wave over the bow and damn near sank the boat because of it. Wet feet is better than sinking the boat.

My Scout gives me trench foot. I hate it. Building a new boat and it sure as hell isn't a Scout.

That’s what I have. 2 batteries, one in the stern and one in the console. Perko switch wired to allow both to be used at the same time or one or the other. Absolutely no issues running everything.

Can’t help with the scupper issue, mine work and I’m grateful my boat doesn’t have the above design.
    Last edited by Kwacker2; 09-16-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Inline check valves are a bad idea on boats that have little drop between the floor drain and hull drain. Especially if positioned below the waterline. While when operating correctly, they will keep water from backing up into the floor, they will also keep water from exiting the floor as the outside water pressure is greater than the pressure of the water trying to exit the deck. They will also get clogged with trash and debris and not work as intended as yours might be.

Reeltight, with the boat static in the water, measure from the gunnel to the waterline. Then measure from the gunnel to the floor drain and keep in mind the collector is a little below the floor. If the floor measurement is same or greater than the waterline measurement, there isn't much you can do. The floor is below the water. You could add check valves but you risk it not draining if left in the water and it rains. Being it's a Key West and contains lots of foam, they boat is probably heavier now than it was when new. The current drain system probably worked great till foam soaked up water over time.
    You close enough for me to put the boat in at your house and look at it together

Bring it over one evening. I'd meet you at the Thornly ramp but its closed for dredging
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

The hardest part is using stainless screws because they don’t stick to a magnetic.
    I use Philips-head stainless steel screws and electrical tape to tape them to the tip - works like a champ.

Don't feel too bad, it took me 6 hours to remove the float switch and 500 gph bilge pump and replace/rewire them with an automatic 800 gph bilge pump. The boat was plumbed for 3/4" hose so 800 was as big as I could go. I'm going add a back-up 1100 gph bilge pump and just leave the hose in the bilge. I'll open the hatch and hook the hose up to the transom if it's ever needed.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

BTW - I did watch a little college football in that 6-hour window...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    BTW - I did watch a little college football in that 6-hour window...
    Finally got a chance to look in the bilge yesterday. No ball checks in-line on mine. But plenty of room and working room to add them or automated ball valves if my heart so desires.

Not really a scupper comment but as far as batteries go, don't try to run only two batteries if you have a 24 volt trolling motor. I blew the circuit board on a trolling motor with that set up. The installation instructions explicitly warn against it. You need two dedicated batteries for the TM and a separate cranking battery.

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Scupper-Mo.../dp/B073ZQGBR4

I've been looking at these. Scuppers on the flats boat are shot.