Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Scuppers

Default Boat Scuppers

The scuppers on my key west suck. I don't know if the rubber flappers are just worn out or what. Is there a better scupper? I use to have a cape horn that had the ping-pong ball scuppers but I honestly can't remember how well they worked. I guess they did if I don't remember too much about them.

Do they not drain or does water back up at rest?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Do they not drain or does water back up at rest?
    Water backs up at rest.

Replace the rubber flapper on them.

I've got a scout with the ping pong style. Replaced them and the boat still takes on water and won't drain

Put some weight in the bow and get them above the water line. Never put a bung in a scupper hole if you're going to be in any sort of rough water.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

The last three glass boat I've bought were Key West boats. I love almost everything about them...except they all draw water...I call them Key Wets. Anyway, it's best to plug them and only pull the plugs if you're taking water into the deck. My current Key Wets has floor drains connected to in-line scuppers...it's terrible so I'm about to replace the in-line scuppers with ball valves and only open them if needed.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    My current Key Wets has floor drains connected to in-line scuppers...it's terrible so I'm about to replace the in-line scuppers with ball valves and only open them if needed.
    I'd advise against this, When you do need to drain the deck it will be a huge inconvenience to go into the bilge and open the valves. I'd go with deck plugs you can easily pull as it will be faster and easier to open both in necessity and washing the boat etc.

The last three glass boat I've bought were Key West boats. I love almost everything about them...except they all draw water...I call them Key Wets. Anyway, it's best to plug them and only pull the plugs if you're taking water into the deck. My current Key Wets has floor drains connected to in-line scuppers...it's terrible so I'm about to replace the in-line scuppers with ball valves and only open them if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I'd advise against this, When you do need to drain the deck it will be a huge inconvenience to go into the bilge and open the valves. I'd go with deck plugs you can easily pull as it will be faster and easier to open both in necessity and washing the boat etc.
    If I recall RH and I have the same boat (186DC). The floor drains have grates that are screwd down making a plug in the floor difficult or really impossible without removing it.

Not sure how much you want to spend or how fancy you want to get but you can get a 12v or 24v automated ball valve in a compact package for $75 or so. I’m going to look to see if there is room. I think there is.

Also, your boat has the 150hp right? Mine is only 115 so it probably doesn’t sit as low as yours.
    Last edited by reeltight; 09-15-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Not sure how much you want to spend or how fancy you want to get but you can get a 12v or 24v automated ball valve in a compact package for $75 or so. I’m going to look to see if there is room. I think there is.

Also, your boat has the 150hp right? Mine is only 115 so it probably doesn’t sit as low as yours.
    Yep - exactly. The bilge is crowded especially with the really unnecessary washdown pump and the somewhat unnecessary trim tabs. But, I think there's room.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 09-15-2018 at 05:40 PM.

There's really no way to do deck plugs. It's got something like a shower drain. If the drain is unbolted and lifted up there's an immediate elbow so there's really no were to put the plug.

Yep - exactly. The bilge is crowded especially with the really unnecessary washdown pump and the someone unnecessary trim tabs. But, I think there's room.
    Unnecessary trim tabs? Hell I was thinking about adding them and I just replaced my wash down pump. I use mine pretty regularly

If I recall RH and I have the same boat (186DC). The floor drains have grates that are screwd down making a plug in the floor difficult or really impossible without removing it.
    If I am thinking correct this is the same fitting I have on my boat, does yours have the ball check valve in it as well?
    Anyways the top grate is removable and once removed it is easy to put a plug in as it will leave a 2” hole.

If I am thinking correct this is the same fitting I have on my boat, does yours have the ball check valve in it as well?
    Anyways the top grate is removable and once removed it is easy to put a plug in as it will leave a 2” hole.
    No ball check. But like RH said, right ended the grate it goes into an elbow fitting and it’s not a fitting that maintains the inside diameter of the pipe, it flattens out. I suppose you could jam a soft plug into it.

reeltight,
    I don't think the scuppers on the transom are the problem - there's an in-line scupper on a 1 1/2" hose between the transom scuppers and the floor drain. I've been working on a few other problems but I'm going to pull the in-line units and see if they can be cleaned. Hopefully, that'll help some. I'll let you know what I find.

Unnecessary trim tabs? Hell I was thinking about adding them and I just replaced my wash down pump. I use mine pretty regularly
    I've tried to tune the boat with the trim tabs but always end with them pulled up all the way. My washdown pump is shot too. How hard was it to replace? Is yours seperate from the intake for the livewell pump? Mine's on a seperate intake.

Here's where I'm at to resolve this same issue...
    I have ping pong scuppers on the back and in the drains, neither did anything. I removed the top of the fitting, made a fiberglass cover to glue down and clean it up then will seal it all back up and go forward using plugs.

I've tried to tune the boat with the trim tabs but always end with them pulled up all the way. My washdown pump is shot too. How hard was it to replace? Is yours seperate from the intake for the livewell pump? Mine's on a seperate intake.
    Mine is separate as well. The hardest part is using stainless screws because they don’t stick to a magnetic. I was able to get my DeWalt down there but it was crowded and really a lot of “blind” work plus my hose end connections were different on the pump I bought so I had to engineer some rigging. But it’s done now. Two hour job took about 5.