Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to fix creeping?

Dude, you’re making it harder than it is. One word, OBEDIENCE. Enforce it, that’s it. If you’re too busy shooting to enforce it properly, then either quit shooting or learn how to multitask.

Get a stake out. You can get them already rigged with a 2ft chain. Make her sit a min then release her. Try it with out it and until she stays with out it hook her back up. May help in trying to shoot and reinforce it by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Dude, you’re making it harder than it is. One word, OBEDIENCE. Enforce it, that’s it. If you’re too busy shooting to enforce it properly, then either quit shooting or learn how to multitask.
    Dick nailed it as usual.
    I'm on my third lab and the core training for each one of them was heel, sit and stay. Each dog had to be 100% solid on these commands, no exceptions. I've had house cats, turkey and deer walk out in front of them at less than 20 yards and they never budged. Sit means sit until released.
    When my dogs were younger and still in training I always used a 15' training leash while shooting doves. I just clipped it onto their collar and let them drag it around on retrieves and such. On incoming birds I'd just step on it to put a little pressure on the collar and the dog wouldn't move until sent.
    Dick's 2nd point is also solid, you need to focus on training the dog correctly more so than shooting birds. Focus on the dog and setting it up for success more so than trying to shoot every bird you can.
    There are a lot of books and vids on training retrievers but I've only used on book over the years, Water Dog by Richard Wolters. Order this today, you won't be disappointed

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Dog-Rev...40_&dpSrc=srch