Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix creeping?

Default How to fix creeping?

Dog only does it in tests and at the dove field today, she began to actually walk out in front of me and stop a few feet from me. I reinforce that sit means butt on the ground every time we train but cannot figure out a way to fix this without needing a helper and live birds to shoot. Could I use a place board to teach this? Any ideas besides just recreating the situation with timely stimulation?
    Thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by clembo3; 09-14-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

Oh, I was like some of these guys could give solid advice on "creeping".

Do you ever go and pick up your own birds? I will make mine stay on a few birds a hunt so he knows he doesn’t have to retrieve every bird. I like to get the ones that fall right in front of him where he’s itching to go. This also helps with young dogs that like to break on other people’s birds.

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    Do you ever go and pick up your own birds? I will make mine stay on a few birds a hunt so he knows he doesn’t have to retrieve every bird. I like to get the ones that fall right in front of him where he’s itching to go. This also helps with young dogs that like to break on other people’s birds.
    Yeah, I picked up half the birds today and when training, I always pick them up ifnshe let’s her butt come off of the ground. If she is completely steady, no I don’t. Could this help me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

Quote Originally Posted by clembo3 View Post
    Yeah, I picked up half the birds today and when training, I always pick them up ifnshe let’s her butt come off of the ground. If she is completely steady, no I don’t. Could this help me?

It sounds like she's trying to race you to the bird. Maybe try not to be too excited to have her retrieve, or you retrieve, the bird when it is killed?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    It sounds like she's trying to race you to the bird. Maybe try not to be too excited to have her retrieve, or you retrieve, the bird when it is killed?
    I think that this is really the root of the problem but it’s more the excitement when I pull the gun up because It is always accompanied with an “oh shit” and scramble to get my gun up haha

How long is the bid on the ground before you send the dog
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Oh, I was like some of these guys could give solid advice on "creeping".
    You gotta keep it on the down low.

I usually wait probably 1-3 seconds to send her. I could definitely afford to wait longer

Default How to fix creeping?

A heeling stick works pretty well. It has been awhile since I have done any training with my dog as he just turned 14 last week but I would use the stick a lot when he was younger. I would hold it out from my hip at an angle and he knew to heel up between the stick and my leg. If you “check” them w a little pop on their chest while they are heeling it normally reminds them to stay tight there. If their butt comes an inch off the ground, pop their rear and they will park it. Smart dogs normally figure it out pretty quickly. Im not encouraging or condoning beating your dog by any means but I think when used correctly the heeling stick is a good tool. My dog would get jacked when he saw the stick come out bc he knew we were going to go work and he was never afraid of it.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 09-15-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    A heeling stick works pretty well....

Tried it. Can’t use it while I’m shooting though and don’t have anyone to help me. Maybe I just need to get a helper

I think that this is really the root of the problem but it’s more the excitement when I pull the gun up because It is always accompanied with an “oh shit” and scramble to get my gun up haha

I think you said it yourself, if you want her to stay calm, you’re going to have to calm down as well. If she feels you tensing up when you’re on the line or on stand, she’s going to act accordingly. Don’t worry about trying to shoot every bird. I’m guilty of doing the same, especially when you’re trying to get a dog experience and are pushing yourself to get as many birds as you can. If you feel pressured, so will she. Good luck with it.

Tried it. Can’t use it while I’m shooting though and don’t have anyone to help me. Maybe I just need to get a helper

10-4. Where you located?

A helper may allow you to work more efficiently. One other thing that you may be able to use w help is a .22 blank dummy launcher which will provide the “shot” and the “bird” scenario but your hands are completely free to work w the dog.

Lean Mac made a pretty good living with his butt off the ground.

10-4. Where you located?

A helper may allow you to work more efficiently. One other thing that you may be able to use w help is a .22 blank dummy launcher which will provide the “shot” and the “bird” scenario but your hands are completely free to work w the dog.

I live in Columbia but mainly train in blythewood. Yeah I use a launcher but she doesn’t budge with that either. It seems like when I pull up she sees the bird flying and gets jacked up so maybe a helper is the only realistic decision.

But, if it’s that important to you then it’s important enough to not shoot. Let someone else shoot and you handle the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    But, if it’s that important to you then it’s important enough to not shoot. Let someone else shoot and you handle the dog.
    Yeah, that seems to be the answer, unfortunately.

Sit means sit! Bust her ass when she moves, either with the heeling stick or collar.

Set dog up for failure and make correction as necessary. I used to tell dog to heel and would bounce a ball or bumper as hard as I could on the ground right in front of him to tempt him to break and I would sometimes use a live bird and have it staked on edge of area we were working and only allow my dog to pick up bumpers in baseball pattern. At first he was absolutely stupid over the live bird and wanted to go that way every time but we worked through it and he learned to go where I tell him not where he wants.

If he was expressing any behaviors that I didn’t want him doing I would almost allow him to do things in order for me to be able to correct. Another example: he started jumping a 5’ chain link fence when I would leave so I let my roommate take my truck out of the driveway while I hung behind and had put e collar on dog. I watched through a window and as soon as he started to jump the fence I burned him. He tried it one more time and realized he was better off in the yard.

Set dog up for failure and make correction as necessary. I used to tell dog to heel and would bounce a ball or bumper as hard as I could on the ground right in front of him to tempt him to break and I would sometimes use a live bird and have it staked on edge of area we were working and only allow my dog to pick up bumpers in baseball pattern. At first he was absolutely stupid over the live bird and wanted to go that way every time but we worked through it and he learned to go where I tell him not where he wants.

If he was expressing any behaviors that I didn’t want him doing I would almost allow him to do things in order for me to be able to correct. Another example: he started jumping a 5’ chain link fence when I would leave so I let my roommate take my truck out of the driveway while I hung behind and had put e collar on dog. I watched through a window and as soon as he started to jump the fence I burned him. He tried it one more time and realized he was better off in the yard.

I like the idea of the live bird stakes down during handling drills. Never thought of that. I guess it’s just gonna have to be the old fashioned way!