Thread: Jointer

Default Jointer

Thinking I want one. Benchtop model because I don't plan on doing big flat work and don't want to take up a bunch of floor space. I imagine in that realm most are on relative par.

Any to specifically steer clear from? Don't I want a longer bed for more accuracy? What about the knives?

Learn me....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Yes the longer the bed the more accurate. I have a Grizzly benchtop with helical head that I keep in my job trailer. It’s good for light work but only about 3’ long. For accuracy and longer stock you need a 5’ bed. For what I’ve seen you getting into you won’t be happy with a little benchtop jointer.

I have an 8” in the shop now and am either going to replace the head with a helical cutter or the machine with a new helical head.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 09-14-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

You're welcome.

Since Bolt started the topic.. an old friend of my dad's came in today, he was in his wedding. He asked about Bolt, asked how his Clemson buddy was, and about how much fun he had next to you all of those years.

Creeper

thanks
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Unless you want to spend the money on a longer bed, I used a 24" x 4 1/2" Craftsman jointer for years, mounted on a laminated top with a leg set. If I needed longer support, I'd just add some support rollers on the outfeed end as needed. It did a great job on all of the various projects over the years, but you normally build larger stuff than I have and may like a longer bed.

I've just picked up a 6" Delta so the small one will be in the TP soon, fwiw.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'