Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a rifle for a hunt

Default Shipping a rifle for a hunt

My 17 yo son is headed to Colorado for an elk/mule deer hunt. FAA rules state you must be 18 yo to check a gun on your flight. I need to get his rifle to Colorado. I have checked with UPS and Fedex and I get very confusing answers. I haven't tried US Postal Service. This is not a sale. Is FFL transfer required? All I want to do is ship the rifle to his brother and then back home. Thanks for any advice.

Simple answer is just to ship it to a FFL. Might cost you 25 bucks. I know someone who has shipped firearms via UPS and claimed they were something else, insured of course...

Ship the rifle to him at his brothers address and ship back after the hunt. Ship by UPS. UPS will ship guns.
    Last edited by rrconductor; 09-12-2018 at 06:31 PM.

UPS website says it must be shipped to a licensed individual. I guess I need to ship to a gun shop.

The nitwits at Hendersonville UPS said they couldn't ship a gun period. Sounds about right since I had to go by there like 4 times to catch them off their 10 hour union lunch break...

USPS will ship a gun. Rifles must have the bolt removed and shotguns must have the barrel taken off. It’s very simple
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I’m pretty sure you can ship your gun to yourself at an address in another state, no FFL needed.

But him being 17, I don’t know if it would technically be legal. I’m sure there are some guidelines on the ATF website that would clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The nitwits at Hendersonville UPS said they couldn't ship a gun period. Sounds about right since I had to go by there like 4 times to catch them off their 10 hour union lunch break...
    My understanding is the Satellite stores cannot receive or process for shipping, you have to take it to a main office.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Those are franchise stores and shipping a gun is at the discretion of the owner.

I think if you were to go to a UPS or Fedex hub, they’d gladly ship it unless something has changed recently. The UPS and Fedex “stores” may have different rules. I seem to recall that the Fedex store I tried to use once was opposed to shipping guns bc they didn’t want to handle firearms at the location.

USPS would be the easier route though.

I live close to the UPS and Fedex hubs here in Greenville. I will go there and report back.

If you live in Greenville the UPS store on N.Pleasantburg will ship, ask me how I know.

If you go to a UPS store they will not ship anything to do with a gun. I tried to ship a choke tube and they wouldn’t ship it because it was an accessory to a gun.

USPS will do it no problem
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Yeah, no I went to the hub with all the brown trucks and everything. I thought I was being sneaky when I went back and said it was a trombone or whatever. Turns out it was just an everday union dipshit...

You are shipping “sporting goods”.

Pro tip, if you ever decide to ship anything illegal, USPS shipments require a warrant to search.

UPS and FedEx shipments do not require a warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    If you go to a UPS store they will not ship anything to do with a gun. I tried to ship a choke tube and they wouldn’t ship it because it was an accessory to a gun.

USPS will do it no problem
    That has to be a store policy. I have shipped guns, triggers, stocks, choke tubes and received those items from the one I use in Greenville.

I have had zero problems using the UPS hub in Mauldin for firearms. The last time there, I did have to show them a copy of the receiving FFL. That was a first. The more common UPS franchise stores have no interest in firearms. The one in Easley told me they were not authorized to take firearms per UPS policy.

Package the boys golf clubs up tight, put on that old Masters polo and head up to the UPS store. Let him know he will be shipping them back to SC after his tournament. Ask if you can go ahead and get a return label, so he can drop his clubs off before coming back to SC.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    Package the boys golf clubs up tight, put on that old Masters polo and head up to the UPS store. Let him know he will be shipping them back to SC after his tournament. Ask if you can go ahead and get a return label, so he can drop his clubs off before coming back to SC.
    Exactly

They only know what you tell them