Thread: Jr. on the Trail Cam...

Default Jr. on the Trail Cam...

This is a less-than-vailed attempt to talk about the deer I killed last year, but I got my first trail camera last week and set it out Friday evening. I put it where I killed the deer last year and I think I got his son or little brother on camera in less than 12 hours…he’s an eight but has little stickers on the G2 - he even has rubbed down tines on the left side like last year's deer. We hunt a club with eight members close to county roads so, I’m sure, the first person that sees him in the daylight will shoot him…I hope it's not me I'd like to see what he'd look like next year but I'd love to LR to put him on the ground. There's no corn pile - I've hunted this place for 30 years and have seen sections of woods that have been cut and regrown. I think the patch nearby patch of woods is just at the perfect age to attact deer.

I can't believe I waited this long to get a trail camera.

Deer from last year...

...and Jurior...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

tell us about that deer you killed last year in the same spot.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and those aren't "rubbed down tines"

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and those aren't "rubbed down tines"
    So, what causes that?

well I can tell you its not from fighting or rubbing trees since he shed his velvet in the last few weeks.

God caused that. MAYBE a very minor injury while in velvet? Maybe its just his genes? Its certainly not from rubbing anything.....

I still wanna hear more about the deer you killed last year.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    well I can tell you its not from fighting or rubbing trees since he shed his velvet in the last few weeks.

God caused that. MAYBE a very minor injury while in velvet? Maybe its just his genes? Its certainly not from rubbing anything.....

I still wanna hear more about the deer you killed last year.....
    Ha ha - thanks for the platform.

I actually saw him early in the season last year but it would have been a 200 yards, left-handed shot with only a rickety door as a rest and right at can't-see. So I worked up another way to get closer to his evening path. Either, the second or third time I sat there he walked right out in front of me in broad daylight – 60 yards. It’s funny because my brain wouldn’t let me see anything on the deer other than his front shoulder. I haven't gotten buck fever since I was a kid but after I shot, I started shaking and, as close as I can describe it, had a melt-down. This was before I consciously knew how big he was. He’d pushed himself 60 or so yards with his back legs but was easy to find. When I got my hands on him I, literally, couldn’t think. I couldn’t count to ten. It was the opposite of ground shrink. He was 216 lbs, 17 scoreable points, came in at 124 6/8 typical and 143 6/8 non-typical.

I had always deer hunted with dad and just shot deer that presented themselves. This was the first buck that I planned and worked on killing. It was a very good high. But it didn’t last long – within a week I was back to thinking about ducks.

good stuff. its nice when a plan comes together...and the post-shot shakes are something to behold.

That's a great buck. Congrats to you, even a year later. As Dad would say "Looked like he just stepped outta Canada!"
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Hell of a buck-congrats

Great deer. Its an acorn point. bug burrows into the velvet and makes it take that acorn looking shape when the antlers harden and the velvet comes off.
    \"Go to Know\"

maybe