Thread: South La duck hunting

Default South La duck hunting

I’m planning a trip to South Louisiana for a duck hunt in mid December after the first split(dec 15) and looking for some advice. I’m going to be taking my kid to hunt and will prob go to the youth/adult only area right outside the city and WMA off lake Borgne. If anyone has hunted this area and doesn’t mind sharing some info I’d appreciate it. Even if it’s just areas to avoid. I’ll be there a day or two early before the 2nd opener to scout/fish so I’m not going in blind. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve hunted all around Lake Borgne and the Chef Pass area although it’s been quite a few years since I was there. Be prepared for grey ducks, blue bills and a few teal or mottled ducks. The fishing should be pretty good for reds and trout while you’re there. The reds will be shallow and the trout will be in just about any of the deeper canals. It’ll take a bit of scouting to find which ponds are holding the birds out there but you should be able to get some shooting in. Some of that water can get a little nasty in bad weather so I hope you’re taking a decent size boat. Most folks there have 17-20ft jon boats and carry a couple pirogues to get around in the marsh with.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

You're a stones throw from Chapman pirogues if you need to get one or two hit Steve up well in advance before you go.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill