Thread: Down vs Side imaging

Default Down vs Side imaging

I’m about to purchase a new unit for my new to me boat. I will likely stick with Humminbird because that’s what I’ve had in the past and comftorable with plus I’m planning on buying the new minn Kota that will sync with Humminbird to automatically follow contour lines etc. My fishing includes nearshore, inshore, lake...bass, striper, cats. My last Humminbird had down imaging and I honestly never used it. Would I use side imaging more? I’ll probably go ahead and get chirp vs sonar. Looking to buy a helix 7/9 g2n. Thoughts?

I use my side imaging all the time. I really use it just for locating structure and knowing where it is to fish. When I first got it I didn’t use it that much but after learning how to read it I love it. I just bought the Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 94sv with ClearVu/SideVu Transducer a few months ago. I never fish lakes but mostly inshore, nearshore and inside the 30 mile range if that helps.
    Last edited by whitty; 09-08-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks

Anymore input on this?

I have SI on all of my units. I strictly bass fish so for me there is absolutely no need for it on the bow units. I do use it on my unit at the console when I'm just looking and not fishing. It is a very handy tool in finding structure just putting around looking for fish or "spots". Hope this makes sense.
    All Men are self made, but, only the successful ones admit it!

2thDoc "because nothing matters till the games are played and clemson people have enjoyed success and know how to deal with it.

any other stupid questions?"......Classic!

CP#96743

Quote Originally Posted by DuckorBust View Post
    I have SI on all of my units. I strictly bass fish so for me there is absolutely no need for it on the bow units. I do use it on my unit at the console when I'm just looking and not fishing. It is a very handy tool in finding structure just putting around looking for fish or "spots". Hope this makes sense.
    I get what your saying. If it were just DI I’d stay away from it and keep my money. But trying to see if the juice is worth it on SI. Probably is and I’ll likely go ahead and get it.

I use both down and side imaging. I really like to use the down imaging when trying to key in on structure or differentiate "trees" from where the bait and fish are. You also get much more accurate depths the fish are in with the down imaging. I use side imaging to look at what side of the boat I am marking fishing on, as I striper fish, but it also has benefits of seeing structure and where the fish are in relevance to boat side. Both are really good to have and once you understand how to use them.
    "run and gun guide service"

if you fish structure and alot of new water there is not a faster way of finding structure to fish. its only purpose is to find structure extremely fast.
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37