Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: #13 CU & #16 USC

I hope your "Go Buffaloes!!!" doesn't refer to the University of Colorado. If it does, you should be very familiar with Clemson.

Originally posted by BowfinClassic:
    I hope your "Go Buffaloes!!!" doesn't refer to the University of Colorado. If it does, you should be very familiar with Clemson.
    That is what we call being BUSTED OUT... [img]graemlins/lamoo.gif[/img]

Hey we did play Clemson one year, and got whooped. Sorry, it is all new to me.

anyone read the Post & Courier today ??..UMMMMMM...TATER FANS, Seems as even baby Bowden is agreeing on the fact that CU has not played anyone worth a shit. Read up and enjoy

Bowden not yet sure how good Tigers are
    By Larry Williams (Contact)
    The Post and Courier
    Monday, September 24, 2007

CLEMSON — Are you pretenders or contenders?

That was Saturday's halftime message from Clemson coach Tommy Bowden, who's typically not given to rousing locker-room rhetoric.

The Tigers (4-0, 2-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) looked like contenders before and after Bowden's exhortations, flexing their muscles in a 42-20 mauling of North Carolina State. The victory pushed their record to 4-0 overall and 2-0 in the Atlantic Coast Conference while pushing them up two spots to No. 13 in The Associated Press poll.

A day later, Bowden said contention isn't the goal. It's to claim the school's first ACC title in 16 years, and he's not yet convinced his team can do that.

"I think I need to wait a little bit longer and look at the quality of the competition," he said.

Clemson's most noteworthy wins are over North Carolina State and Florida State. The former appears an ideal candidate for the Atlantic Division cellar, having lost 10 straight games against teams from the NCAA classification formerly known as I-A.

The latter, which fell 24-18 at Clemson on Sept. 3, has since posted uninspiring victories over Alabama-Birmingham and Colorado.

So while those 608 yards the Tigers rolled up Saturday are impressive, Bowden isn't chalking up the Atlantic Division crown just yet. He'll be in much better position to appraise after the next two games — Saturday at Georgia Tech, and Oct. 6 at home against No. 17 Virginia Tech.

Then again, maybe not. The Yellow Jackets are 0-2 in the conference after losing at home to Boston College last week, and at Virginia on Saturday. The Hokies are still trying to find their bearings after their 48-7 shellacking at LSU on Sept. 8.

"The jury's still out on most everybody," Bowden said.

Bowden includes his team in that category. The Tigers overwhelmed the Wolfpack, rushing for 340 yards while yielding just over 200 total yards, but their coach wasn't satisfied with winning by 22 on the road:

--He lamented N.C. State's 10-play, 81-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter. Linebacker Kavell Conner fumbled away an interception deep in Wolfpack territory, and N.C. State proceeded to convert on second-and-18 and third-and-11 against a defense composed largely of second-stringers.

--The feared Darrell Blackman returned a kickoff 99 yards for a TD early in the first quarter, eliciting flashbacks to last year's epic struggles on kickoff coverage.

--The offense wasn't able to cash in with touchdowns on drives that reached N.C. State's 8-, 9-, 11-, 12- and 29-yard lines. The Tigers committed penalties on three of those possessions and finished with eight infractions for 65 yards.

"We could have just really put their lights out down the stretch," Bowden said.

Bowden complimented his team's mental approach to the season. In 2005 and 2006, losing games they were favored to win kept the Tigers from playing in the ACC championship game.

Saturday's game seemed to fit the letdown bill going in, but the Tigers manhandled the Wolfpack and seemed businesslike doing it.

"We've been here the last couple of years," Bowden said. "It's the 'Remember November' that's most important, not September. Hopefully they've taken that to heart and have sure done a pretty good job of being focused and playing them one at a time. I have been very pleased with that attitude."
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

might want to put this in your computer (all you carolina fans who say the Clemson win over Fla St was nothing and the SEC is so powerful and the ACC ain't shit) the people who put their money where their mouth is say Florida State is a 2.5 point favorite at alabama. now ya'll can go get all the money you want off that tree. might want to save a little gas money to get to the first half of chickin kickin 07 though. know what i mean?

Originally posted by chessieman:
    Florida State is a 2.5 point favorite at alabama.
    The game will be in Florida.

If it was in Bama the spread would be reversed.
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

Clemson is just #13 by default. Not much stock in that at this time of the year.As far as the trick play goes there is an exception to the rule for holders. The holder gets a break on the rules because, if he didn't, he would have to squat on every hold or he would be whistled down.

Also I just read where Brinkly may have a torn ACL. What's the word on this?

Jasper is likely done at USC. Hate it happened to him but best of luck rehabbing that knee and on to the Show....

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Seriously, if any Clemson fan can tell me with a straight face and without their tongue in their cheek that they are the #13 team in the nation I might just give them my Clemson/Carolina tickets. On second thought no I wont. I'm going to call the Mental Hospital and have them committed!

Who has Clemson played to deserve #13? And just so you know I NEVER thought Carolina deserved to be ranked as high as they were last week!

These polls are a FREAKING JOKE!

1-800-whineypossums-anon

Clemson hasn't played anyone yet...but they have soundly defeated each team put in front of them this year...The ACC is definitely down talent wise with perennial powerhouses U of Miami and FSU being down.

Very similar to he NL and the AL in MLB....The AL teams are probably better..no definitely better. ...But, the nl teams play who is on their schedule.

LSU is a great ball club. Carolina played great to stay in the game, and while it is not a victory in the w/l column, it is a moral victory. Good effort against an incredible ball club.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

13 by default.

Originally posted by artdevilish:
    Very similar to he NL and the AL in MLB....The AL teams are probably better..no definitely better. ...But, the nl teams play who is on their schedule.
    We are talking College Football. That comment is a good example why Clemson shouldn't even be ranked. Their fans can't even stay on topic!
    [img]graemlins/lamoo.gif[/img]
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Originally posted by Candor:
    I agree with you Squatty. But I don't think Carolina is a #16 team either. Do you? If so...you probably don't deserve those tickets either and it is a lot shorter trip for you to Bull Street than most Clemson fans.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I think USC being #16 is more realistic than some of the other rankings. That's not as delusional as a Clemson fan believing that their #13 ranking is legit!

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I guess you thought last weeks polls were better? [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] Where is the processed fish stick when you need him? Come on fish, tell us how last weeks polls were better than this weeks.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Actually Art I've gone on record saying that the Cocks were not deserving of the #12 ranking last week. While it was nice to see, I didn't think for one minute that we were ACTUALLY a #12 team.

i'll be the first to admit that clemson hasn't really played anyone to "earn" the #13 ranking and i don't think any of the rankings mean much right now, let's see what the rankings are like when everyone has 8 or 9 games under their belt and then the rankings will be more "realistic"

i agree with john boy, clemson is #13 right now by default, they haven'y lost a game yet and other good teams got upset unexpectedly, that's the whole reason USuC and Clemson are ranked as high as they are
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

SCTIMBER Coots

Originally posted by artdevilish:
    I guess you thought last weeks polls were better? [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] Where is the processed fish stick when you need him? Come on fish, tell us how last weeks polls were better than this weeks.
    [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] I thought he would have showed up by now in this thread

Guys, Fish is taking a break. If USuC beats MS state this weekend however, I feel he will come off his break lol

How do I stand on the rankings????

Easy question... neither last weeks or this weeks rankings accurately reflect where the Tigers or USuC stands.... I still think CU should be #26 and USuC #27 lol

Let's touch on this again in about 6 weeks or so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

squatty whoa boy.
    have you heard one clemson fan gloat?

thats kinda wut i wuz thinkin sportin...gamecock fans were gloatin all over the place last week when it was 12 and 15 but now that the shoes on the other foot the gamecock fans are talking about "who has clemson played to earn there spot". let me ask this, who the hell has carolina BEAT to earn where they are? so kiss my clemson ass, if you think carolina has proved anything either!!!! [img]graemlins/em118.gif[/img]

USC has proved 2x more than sCUm has this year and you know it cock face.....another serious sace of the cock envious
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.