Thread: Selecting my 1st Turkey call

Default Selecting my 1st Turkey call

Hi everyone, I was about to buy a turkey call, but since I am a total noob in these things and need something that I will cope with for sure. That's why I decided to post here, as you folks sure can tell me, which calls are good and which I should stay away from. I have tried conducting my own research, but different people in their reviews say different things which makes me kinda confused... I appreciate any help, folks.

Go get a spring allure and don’t look back. Great calls and easy to use.

Only problem with spring allure calls is the guy that makes em, Rowesville Sc, need I say more.......

Have Ricky make you 1 of his slate calls. Very forgiving and easy to run and his are full of turkeys. Best advice is practice til your wife runs you out the house then practice some more.
    every expert was once a beginner

PM Ricky (ccleroy). His are top quality. I’vee ordered several for myself and as gifts for friends. All have been flawless. Works of art that kill turkeys.

Spring Allure- slate or ceramic surface pot call

bocate buice trumpet. You will need 6 other calls minimum per hunt but start with this one. I have 1300 custom calls and over 1000 store bought calls (Quaker boy, primos, etc). That's almost 24,000 calls

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    bocate buice trumpet. You will need 6 other calls minimum per hunt but start with this one. I have 1300 custom calls and over 1000 store bought calls (Quaker boy, primos, etc). That's almost 24,000 calls
    Amateur.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Lynches world champion box call and one of ricky s pot calls would be a good start. You can make any turkey sounds you need to with those. Grab a couple of diaphragms so you can practice while driving. Or, if you've got turkeys I'll be happy to come call for you
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Thank you for replying, folks. I decided that I will take 3-4 calls to make sure I get the alternatives if 1 won't work out due to myself being a newbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    Have Ricky make you 1 of his slate calls. Very forgiving and easy to run and his are full of turkeys.
    I will get in touch with this guy and will order 1 from him.
    Lynches world champion box call and one of ricky s pot calls would be a good start.
    I will also buy Lynches, is that the one? https://www.amazon.com/Lynch-World-C.../dp/B0000AVYZE
    I also found out, that Primos calls are also good and recommended for newbies. At least, that's what people say in their youtube videos. I believe this one will be a good starter kit for me https://www.recreationid.com/images/...tion-sheet.pdf
    I appreciate your help, folks. Now, will get the ball rolling and will see, how it goes. Luckily, I'll manage to work with these calls, otherwise I will be posting here again asking your folks help.

That's the one. You can't have to many calls. That's why real turkey hunters use a vest. The goal isn't so much to kill a turkey as it is to fill every available pocket with calls. The more pockets the more calls. The hunter with the most calls is obviously the best hunter. All kidding aside, try several different types. Some prefer box calls, some pot calls, etc. They are all fun to learn to use and some days some turkeys seem to prefer one kind or another.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

First morning I stepped in the woods with my spring allure call I killed a turkey. On public land. Which made it even more special.

Ricky will take care of you.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

You really should be asking how many you should be buying because that is where you are going to end up at. Wait, it probably won't end.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

All you need is a Field and a Full strut decoy.... No calls needed