Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going back to simplicity...

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Why not get some dang glasses or contacts??
    They can only correct so much from my own experience. I wear glasses and I still put the arrow back in the quiver long before other bow hunters. I just can't see where to aim after a certain point at dusk.

The reason the wounded rate is so low for traditional hunters is because most miss the whole deer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

my kill to wound ratio was better with the recurve...likely due to the fact that I had more opportunities to screw up with the compound than I did with the recurve...Catdaddy’s point holds some water too.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I’ll ‘splain. I started killing deer with archery equipment in the early 90s using a 58# Jeffery Classic Hunter. I went that direction because it was quieter than any compound bow out at the time, and I liked shooting instinctive and not worrying about rangefinders and other equipment I could not afford. I switched to compound once I started hunting Ohio because I didn’t want to have a booner walk by at 35-40 yards and cause me to do something stupid. The compounds, by that time, were much quieter and I could then afford good sights and rangefinder. Fast forward to now. I can’t wear contacts so my pins are blurry starbursts now. I can, however, see the hairs on a deer at 20 yards. Thought about corrective possibilities, but eyesight is still changing a good bit. So, I picked up the Jeffery and remembered how damn awesome it was trying to get somewhere that would put me 15-20 yards from a deer and how awesome it was to instinctively arc an arrow into a deers chest. Then I thought back on all the deer I’ve killed, injured, or fugged up on since 2007. I missed a 150” in 2008 when I judged him to be by the 30 yard tree and he was actually by the 20 yard tree. 2009 killed my big 8 at 19 yards. 2011 stuck a sapling I didn’t see as I concentrated on pins/peep/and big 10pt. 2012...same 10 pt, same tree, drew back on him as he moved toward shooting lane at 22 yards only to not be able to see anything because of leaf in pin housing. That 140+” 10 dies two weeks later in front of a shotgun. 2015...killed my Ohio 10 that I shot in the back hip at 25 yards because my limb dampener slid up and was keeping my top cam from coming all the way around...lucky as hell.
    So, all of those deer were within my instinctive comfort zone, and equipment issues and shooter error due to yardage caused me to blow it more often than not. Shooting trad gear instinctively, there is no yardage worries and very little to go wrong equipment-wise. Much less shit to have to buy and remember to carry into the woods, and what you do carry is much lighter. When a deer presents, it either gets close enough and presents a good angle or it doesn’t...and when it does, you shoot and hit or you shoot and miss...no wrong pin, bad yardage estimation, rest failure etc... and it’s just a boatload of fun.

I’m bought the R-28 coywolf 2 because I want a takedown that I can travel easily with and because that bow shoots sooo sweet and is freaking sexy as all get out. I didn’t love the wolfer either; I really liked the handle and sight picture it presented, but it did not feel great at and after the shot.
    I really don’t mean to sound like a smart ass but it’s going to sound like I am. Literally every one of those issues were operator error that could’ve been avoided by a simple technique I’ve always used called “paying attention.” “Paying attention” means drawing your bow in the stand to make sure your sight picture/anchor points/ etc are clear. The difference between 20 yards and 30 yards is as fuzzy as the difference between midnight and high noon. Trees don’t just pop up in front of the arrow. The only way that going trad is going to help is keeping all your shots close, therefore eliminating a large percentage of the opportunities you have. I too have thought of going that route to eliminate all the headache I go through from scent control to equipment etc. If that’s your goal, my hats off to you. But I’ve been ventilating shit with sharp blades for 23 years and literally never had one of those things happen. Most of those things that happened to you are likely to happen with the indian (feather, not dot) bow too. Bow hunting is hard work. If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    Last edited by SCSwitchback; 09-26-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Y’all ain’t right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    I really don’t mean to sound like a smart ass but it’s going to sound like I am. Literally every one of those issues were operator error that could’ve been avoided by a simple technique I’ve always used called “paying attention.” “Paying attention” means drawing your bow in the stand to make sure your sight picture/anchor points/ etc are clear. The difference between 20 yards and 30 yards is as fuzzy as the difference between midnight and high noon. Trees don’t just pop up in front of the arrow. The only way that going trad is going to help is keeping all your shots close, therefore eliminating a large percentage of the opportunities you have. I too have thought of going that route to eliminate all the headache I go through from scent control to equipment etc. If that’s your goal, my hats off to you. But I’ve been ventilating shit with sharp blades for 23 years and literally never had one of those things happen. Most of those things that happened to you are likely to happen with the indian (feather, not dot) bow too. Bow hunting is hard work. If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    No, you don’t sound like a smart ass, but you do sound like a typical message board poster who responds to things in a way that gives you a little ego boost. You last sentence highlights this fact. I’ve killed multiple deer with and have hunted for years with a recurve shooting instinctive, and I’ve hunted for ~ 16 years with various compounds and have killed a pile of deer with the high-tech gear ranging from a 50lb yearling to a 137” 8pt. I regularly hunt on ridge tops in southeast Ohio that require me to start my mere 200 yard walk to the hilltop an hour before daybreak...two to three steps at a time with minute long pauses...dressed only in the lightest summer underlayers I have in low 20degree temps to avoid breaking a sweat that would ruin any chance of me being able to sit from daybreak to dark...which I will do for two straight weeks or until I tag out. Yet your reply, which contains some good points and thoughtful information, ends with you giving me advice about what hunting with with traditional equipment is probably going to be like and patronizing me regarding the difficulties of bowhunting in general. Regardless, thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-28-2018 at 08:35 PM.

i still disagree with this entire thread but i cant read it all to see what else has transpired.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

bow kill.jpg
    simply enough? Im with whitewater...

Black widow bite
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by NickDNGR View Post
    bow kill.jpg
    simply enough? Im with whitewater...
    Hail yes!

Instinctive shooting is about picking a hair, aim small miss small, unless you are a pure gap shooter and I don't know but a couple of those. If your eyesight sucks you need something that picks up light and if you're not willing to cheat with a compound, leave the bow at home.
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by hylandersc1 View Post
    Instinctive shooting is about picking a hair, aim small miss small, unless you are a pure gap shooter and I don't know but a couple of those. If your eyesight sucks you need something that picks up light and if you're not willing to cheat with a compound, leave the bow at home.
    Again, I can see shit ten feet away with great clarity...just not a .19 fiber at 28.5”. That said, I disagree. Instinctive shooting is similar to shooting a basketball or throwing a baseball. Yo don’t pick a spot in the middle of a hoop or a flick of dirt on a catchers mitt. Go watch some videos of archery only dove and duck hunts and tell me instinctive shooting is about picking out a hair. That said, your assertion of aim small/miss small is a well known, long-standing truth and should be utilized in every hunting situation no matter the weapon or circumstance.

like ridin' a bike...

U look like a serial killer.

Predator and jeans. She never stood a chance.

I like the hat, too. A modern day Fred Bear in our midst.

When u two weeks out 20 hours from home, you don’t screw up your dwindling hunting clothes cleaning a nanny goat...but I was cold and threw on my jacket till cleaning commenced. I agree on the non flattering picture...I need to grow my beard back and cover as much of that face as possible. I’m missing the family, I have meat for the winter, my last shot was a good one...so, I’m hanging it up while I’m ahead. Time to get serious about killing some ducks and geese.

Badass.

simple and effective

What's so hard about shooting a deer with no front legs?