Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going back to simplicity...

Default Going back to simplicity...

My eyes suck, and I can not see a pin clearly any longer. Going back to traditional instinctive, because I can only think
    of one Buck I killed with my compound that I wouldn’t have felt good about with my recurve...and I can think of three big bucks that I would have been better off having my recurve for. I’ve been shooting my Jeffry Classic Hunter this week, but I have a JacksonStykbow wolfer and coywolf on the way to the house and will be keeping the one I like best. For the trad crowd, I’ll give y’all a review after I shoot them a bit. That said, anyone in the market for a ridiculous compound rig fully loaded with lots nice goodies and ~ 10 new arrows and an SKB Case...pm me or just keep eye out in trading post. In the meantime...check out the eye candy at jacksonstykbows.com. I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting on these bows.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I just let them get close enough so I can use all my pins.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

http://robertsonstykbow.com/bows-in-stock/

I don't even bow hunt anymo and these make me want one.

you and spur oughta get together and try to overthink things together....

i dont know how "going traditional" and "keeping it simple" have to do with each other.

and if you cant see your pin, why is shooting a longbow gonna help?

I'd unthink all this overthinking. In doing so, I bet I have made you rethink your overthinking and might be able to get you back in a bow that takes into account the critter whose life you are taking and deserves you to see it well enough to kill it quickly.

hope this helps!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you and spur oughta get together and try to overthink things together....

i dont know how "going traditional" and "keeping it simple" have to do with each other.

and if you cant see your pin, why is shooting a longbow gonna help?

I'd unthink all this overthinking. In doing so, I bet I have made you rethink your overthinking and might be able to get you back in a bow that takes into account the critter whose life you are taking and deserves you to see it well enough to kill it quickly.

hope this helps!

you're overthinking this bro!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

ha

I've shot about all of Dick's bows. I'm not a big fan of the wolfer. If I was going to buy a longbow, I'd probably get his peregrine. Best shooting traditional longbow I've shot. He can be a pain in the ass to deal with but that family has done it all as they say. Yote, his son, just killed his fourth longbow Dall ram in AK.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

And if you're in Wyoming you should go visit Herb Meland of Pronghorn bows.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

what's the ratio of how cool someone is in terms of how cool their bow is?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    http://robertsonstykbow.com/bows-in-stock/

I don't even bow hunt anymo and these make me want one.
    Damn those are some expensive a$$ bows!
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

I wasn't joking much. I should probably go to just using 2 .19 or larger pins at the ranges I am comfortable to shoot these days. I can shoot fine in good lighting but my eyesight has started to go and low light shots show it.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

what's the ratio of how cool someone is in terms of how cool their bow is?
    Cool and bow hunting are not synonymous.

spur--i'm the same way. I have to have perfect conditions to see well. Knowing my limitations, I bet I get out of the tree 5min earlier than I once did.

and I guess that's my point for overthinking WWD's overthinking. I dont see primitive archery as a way to simplify things, unless you are just talking about the gadgets connected to a bow. Its not going to improve his eyesight.

Yes but if he is already shooting short range it won't handicap him any provided he is a good instinctive shooter. Sounds like he is already. From what I've read of his other pursuits here I am thinking he will be posting dead stuff with the trad bows soon enough. Good luck to him, would love to do some trad shooting myself.

You have to be able to see your target no matter what you shoot. " Instinctive "is no different. Your shooting at the outline of a deer and the result is usually bad. Sights or not. Im an aimer. I used to gap shoot. Now I use a form of string walking, and I use the point of my arrow to aim. It's so effective they won't let you do it at most "Traditional" 3 D shoots. I absolutely have to be able to see the tip of my arrow and my target to shoot accurately.

maybe spur will be respond to you instead of me now.... thanks for your input.

This ain't about me. Whitewater said he had trouble seeing the pins, didn't say he couldn't see the deer. The guy is sharp at whatever he does. I have no doubt he is good with trad as well. Me mentioning short range means 10-15 yards like most trad shooting, of which I know but just a very little about. FWIW, I use .09 pins now and can see .19 better but haven't switched yet. I also don't want to use a clarifier peep but that is always another option.

FLS just said it better than me.

i dont doubt WWD can shoot a longbow...but i dont think its "simplifying" anything.

FLS just said it better than me.

i dont doubt WWD can shoot a longbow...but i dont think its "simplifying" anything.
    It definitely simplifies grocery shopping. Go straight to the rice section and your done.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Exactly. Like driving to work on a pogo stick. Fucking stupid.