Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going back to simplicity...

Not interested in arguing over one word in a title. Instinctive shooting is a skill, just like plenty of other talents. You either got it or you don't. Those that have talent will tell you it's simple to do. Those that ain't got it will tell you it's complicated as $%&^*!
    That's the simple explanation.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I was calling anyone out, just saying you have to see it to hit it no matter what hat gear you shoot. It probably more critical without sights. Traditional bowhunting is similar to fly fishing IMO. Most people involved don’t give a shit about killing or catching anything. They enjoy the process. The few that are good at it are really good. I like to kill shit, so I found an aiming method that was repeatable and extended my range. Single string archery has changed a lot in the last few years. Barebow target shooting styles and equipment are becoming more prevalent. These guys shoot circles around the fling it and hope for the best crowd. The guy in this video is a shooting machine, and slays deer without sights, releases, let off, mechanical broad heads, corn piles, or feeders. Whodathunk it was even possible...

Last edited by FLS; 09-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.

I've always shot a compound. Shot 3D for a while, just for fun. Used to be able to see all the rings at long range and had 20/10 vision. Not so good at that now but I can still shoot well enough to hunt, just limited my range a little to remain comfortable and confident even though it is somewhat reduced. The reality is most folks shoot anatomy on deer, pick a spot based on the form, references, leg, shoulder, crease, angle.

If a guy already shoots trad I'd say his vision dropping off will probably cause him to do the same. The difference is he probably shoots quicker doing it. I read an article by Fred Eichler (?) a while back about his preferring to use trad in some instances, said it was much easier to get a close range snap shot off on whitetails versus the time needed to draw a compound bow, anchor, sight and release. Now I ain't saying I completely agree with him but I am one of those who probably doesn't have the talent to shoot trad confidently in that situation to start with. But for him it was probably truly easier with his skill/talent. Doesn't cheapen the accomplishment. And you are spot on for folks who take up eccentric methods to hunt or fish. They ain't in it for groceries.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I'm going out on a limb here...…. Pun intended...…. Why not get some dang glasses or contacts??

Because vision isn't bad enough to require them yet? Don't want the extra hassle? Because we can still kill a deer easily with a bow even though it might need be 10 yards closer?

I know plenty of guys who can see pins and target with complete clarity and still can't hit crap.

corrective lenses would only further confuse the issue. and poor wwd hasnt even been back to see how much fun we are having at his expense.

he could wear glasses to see the pin but then would have to look over them to see the critter? i just want him to be able to make a humane shot and not think that "going traditional" is more simple.

I just dont like aiming at an area. I like aiming at a spot. I am fairly certain i look right past my pin to the critter.

Come to think of it, i dont think about it.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

For the cost of two of those bows you could get Lasik.
    I'm with 2th, the only thing you simplify by going traditional is the technology in the bow.

But if you said I bought two trad bows because I wanted to, 2th wouldn't have anything to argue about.

i bet i could find something....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Nothing further to add here other than I know a couple fellas who said that in hindsight lasik was not a good choice. Apologies to WWD for any thread derail but looking forward to seeing his kill pics.

WWD, ILF is an option that lots of folks are getting into as well. It offers you a good bit of flexibility. I've got a few risers that range from aluminum to exotic wood custom jobs. Have limbs from cheap jap to carbon, exotic wood lams, longbow, recurve etc etc. I can mix and match them all. South Cox at Stalker is making the nicest ILF rigs but lots of options depending on what you might be interested in.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I've shot about all of Dick's bows. I'm not a big fan of the wolfer. If I was going to buy a longbow, I'd probably get his peregrine. Best shooting traditional longbow I've shot. He can be a pain in the ass to deal with but that family has done it all as they say. Yote, his son, just killed his fourth longbow Dall ram in AK.
    I should have said primalstyk, not peregrine for the longbow of his I like so much.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I’ll ‘splain. I started killing deer with archery equipment in the early 90s using a 58# Jeffery Classic Hunter. I went that direction because it was quieter than any compound bow out at the time, and I liked shooting instinctive and not worrying about rangefinders and other equipment I could not afford. I switched to compound once I started hunting Ohio because I didn’t want to have a booner walk by at 35-40 yards and cause me to do something stupid. The compounds, by that time, were much quieter and I could then afford good sights and rangefinder. Fast forward to now. I can’t wear contacts so my pins are blurry starbursts now. I can, however, see the hairs on a deer at 20 yards. Thought about corrective possibilities, but eyesight is still changing a good bit. So, I picked up the Jeffery and remembered how damn awesome it was trying to get somewhere that would put me 15-20 yards from a deer and how awesome it was to instinctively arc an arrow into a deers chest. Then I thought back on all the deer I’ve killed, injured, or fugged up on since 2007. I missed a 150” in 2008 when I judged him to be by the 30 yard tree and he was actually by the 20 yard tree. 2009 killed my big 8 at 19 yards. 2011 stuck a sapling I didn’t see as I concentrated on pins/peep/and big 10pt. 2012...same 10 pt, same tree, drew back on him as he moved toward shooting lane at 22 yards only to not be able to see anything because of leaf in pin housing. That 140+” 10 dies two weeks later in front of a shotgun. 2015...killed my Ohio 10 that I shot in the back hip at 25 yards because my limb dampener slid up and was keeping my top cam from coming all the way around...lucky as hell.
    So, all of those deer were within my instinctive comfort zone, and equipment issues and shooter error due to yardage caused me to blow it more often than not. Shooting trad gear instinctively, there is no yardage worries and very little to go wrong equipment-wise. Much less shit to have to buy and remember to carry into the woods, and what you do carry is much lighter. When a deer presents, it either gets close enough and presents a good angle or it doesn’t...and when it does, you shoot and hit or you shoot and miss...no wrong pin, bad yardage estimation, rest failure etc... and it’s just a boatload of fun.

I’m bought the R-28 coywolf 2 because I want a takedown that I can travel easily with and because that bow shoots sooo sweet and is freaking sexy as all get out. I didn’t love the wolfer either; I really liked the handle and sight picture it presented, but it did not feel great at and after the shot.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

So...for sale in two weeks when I return home.
    New Breed Lycan (only one ever produced in wildfire camo to my knowledge) 28.5” 65lb
    Custom matching strings and cables (will get brand when I can talk to my bow guy, but’s it’s top quality+)
    Custom 2 pin adjustable SpottHogg (Hogg Father, I think). .10 top and .19 second pins both green. I set them for 20 and 30 and can float the bottom pin out to 100 if I want to shoot that far.
    Quality quiver.
    Stokerized offset stabilizer.
    ~12 Black Eagle Rampage arrows all fletched the same after spine testing. All with weighted brass inserts for optimum FOC. Some with lighted nocks.
    Will sell with or without SKB hard shell travel bowcase, but I’ll be keeping the rig together.
    This is one of the few bows that actually performed faster than it’s stated IBO speed when I bought it. I switched to this bow from Elites lineup. Loved the Elites, but found this to be just as sweet and easy to draw with a little more speed and a more comfortable grip. Bow is decked out with bow Jax and has nicely done and tied in cat whiskers. No detail overlooked, and all top quality stuff. It is all the bow you will ever need for any type of hunting...stalk, tree, or tight groundblind. I’ll post pics once I get back home and can take some, and I’ll fill in missing details then. Bow has been “tater-tuned”...ie it’s in perfect tune and shoots darts...look up Nate at Taters archer; he’s a tuning wizard. Check back to the trading post on Sep. 30 or Oct. 1 if interested. Thanks.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-16-2018 at 07:45 PM.

I have a wicked Bob Morrison Cheyenne recurve with two sets of limbs and tuned arrows as well when your ready for it, I don't use it any longer .
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-01-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Genesis 9;2

You mean Bob Morrison?

Whitewater, you might find this interesting.

https://www.filson.com/filson-life/r...st_filson+life
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 09-26-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Rubberhead

Damn! I just read some comments I missed. I’m fighting through getting my “40yo eyes”...not blind yet! I wear readers, but I can’t line them up the way I shoot to look through them...and if I do, the target is blurry as hell. I see the pins, they just starburst and are blurry, so I can’t put it on a spot and shoot. I can’t wear contacts. Once my eyes stabilize at their over-40 stable level of shittyness, I’ll probably get lasik surgery and correct this frustrating crap. I can see stuff that’s ten yards and out just fine, so shooting instinctive, I can see my target clearly. I started killing deer shooting instinctive, so I’m pretty good at it, but I am not as good as I used to be...yet. I need to walk in the wild and fling a couple of thousand arrows at stumps, sticks, prairie dogs, insects, tumble-weeds etc between now and November, and I should be good to go to kill some deer in Ohio this year. I might be singing a different tune if I have to watch a wall hanger or three walk by at 30 yards. I went and hung some stands this weekend where I couldn’t even see more than 20 yards, but once the leaves fall, it’s hard to find a place where I hunt that doesn’t offer long shots. It’ll be fun regardless.

How many deer do you primitive boys lose a year?
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Big difference in primitive and traditional. Primitive is wood bows, cane arrows, flint points, real cave man shit. I did it and got the merit badge. Hard as hell IMO.
    As for losses, a tiny fraction of what the hight tech Rage shooters lose, simply because traditional is a tiny fraction of bow hunters in general. 10% do 90% of the killing. The other 90% is probably 50/50. Hit half what they shoot at and recover half of what they hit. Judging by the number of lost deer threads you see on the WWW, compound shooters are about the same.

I would bow hunt but it's really difficult to shoot out the truck window with one

Put the bow out of the window first, then draw.