Thread: Good Opener

Default Good Opener

Had a good time taking Colt out to his 2nd shoot.

Last year, he got no birds. I barely got any. That's what happens when there are 5 guns on 150 acres of cut corn.

This year, there were 6 guns on about 300 acres, but we worked a corner with a treeline, and a ditchline, and a powerline and had a good time.

Everyone limited out. Colt got 2 birds with is Mossberg Bantam .410. And I absolutely loved shooting my "new" SBEIII at something that flies. Damn I love that gun!

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

Tell me more about that lettuce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ This
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Me too but it looks like cabbage
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    Tell me more about that lettuce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cabbage.

Slice, stick in toothpicks, coat with EVOO or Dukes, sprinkle on Hidden Valley ranch, or chipotle ranch, and grill till doneness desired. I prefer the chipotle, but mom doesn't, so these got mayo and ranch.

That was my 1st cook on my new grill; I just finished a 7hr smoke on some pork and didn't replenish enough coals, so the doneness was very unequal.

plenty of room...

should've invited drduck
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks Kevin.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You were about 40 guns shy on the 150....

Yeah...tell me about it.

It was land of a friend of a friend who is a farmer in Bishopville. He just doesn't want the responsibility of a bunch of yahoos on his land with guns. I understand that.

It would have been great Saturday to have an ass of people, as the place had birds all over it.

Smart man, that farmer.

drduck aint no yeahhoo
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Yeah...tell me about it.

It was land of a friend of a friend who is a farmer in Bishopville. He just doesn't want the responsibility of a bunch of yahoos on his land with guns. I understand that.
    Yep - cain't be having people get kilt before it's their time to be kilt.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Yep - cain't be having people get kilt before it's their time to be kilt.
    Underrated post right 'chere....

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    .... He just doesn't want the responsibility of a bunch of yahoos on his land with guns. I understand that.

It would have been great Saturday to have an ass of people, as the place had birds all over it.
    As a land owner, I've thought a lot about this subject.

The land owner assumes a lot of liability to simply let people enter his land. Here's how you can possibly mitigate his exposure. I would appreciate it if some of the lawyers and insurance brokers on the site chimed in.

If you want to host a big ass dove shoot for your friends once or twice a year, ask your landowner if you can lease wingshooting rights for the property for the day. Get professional legal advice and representation. Ideally, you can barter with an invitation for your lawyer and his kids to shoot. Get your lawyer to write up an appropriate lease and liability waver. I think it would be ideal if you first created an LLC for the expressed purpose of having these hunts. That might keep you from losing your home if you got sued. Get some general liability insurance that lists you, the LLC and the landowner as an "also insured". There are insurance companies that understand this stuff and can make it very affordable. Make everyone sign liability waivers that explicitly hold you, the LLC, and the land owner harmless for any accidents due to negligence, gross negligence or any other cause. Before the hunt, read the rules that state no drinking before of during the hunt, all normal gun safety rules, respect for the property (like picking up your hulls and any other litter the hunters encounter, no trespassing on neighboring property, no climbing fences, no shooting anything else but doves, etc.). All this sounds pretty involved but might still be cheaper than planting your own dove field. It might be a way to have epic hunts for which you will long be remembered.

I've been invited to dove hunts throughout my lifetime and have always envied the host for being able to entertain so many people at such a unique type of event. Once I acquired my own land, I became aware of the legal liability, which made me even more appreciative of the invitations I had gotten.

It's easy to be fooled into the notion that you can avoid the liability by only inviting friends that would never sue you. The problem is that if the worst case scenario happened, it wouldn't be your friend that "lawyers up", it might be his widow or his non-hunting kids, or in an even worse case scenario, it might be the estranged dead-beat father of the a kid that got shot. I had this epiphany when I was mentoring with Big Brothers/Big Sisters. I could get the mom's permission to take kids hunting and riding ATVs but if anything happened, the dead-beat dads would have legal standing in court to sue me if anything happened.

It sucks that we live in such a litigious world but with the right guidance and preparation, it's still manageable and very much worth it. Hosting a big dove shoot every year that makes people sit by their mailbox waiting for their invite has been a dream of mine. The memories of hunts I've been so privileged to attend will remain some of my fondest memories and I hope will be the things I see as I die and my life "flashes before my eyes".
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 09-05-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    drduck aint no yeahhoo
    Thanks again Kevin. See you soon
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Congrats. It looks like that grill will do everything you want it to do and more.