Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Aid Kit

Default First Aid Kit

Reading the thread about leave your dog at home got me thinking about needing a first aid kit designed just for my dog. I am normally careful with her and don't hunt to long and make sure I pay close attention to her but things can happen fast. Just figured it could make for a good discussion and possibly show me something that I need to get.

With the heat the best thing you can do is either not take your dog at all and/or plan ahead accordingly. For early season hunts I would generally only hunt my dog if I knew there was good shade and/or access to safe water for him to get into and even then you have to limit their activity. If your dog is not able to relax while hunting the heat will be tough. I would usually also pack an extra gallon or two of water to keep the dog wet and an umbrella as well.

As far as other first aid items are concerned it doesn’t hurt to have some bandage material: non-stick gauze, rolled gauze,rolled cotton, coflex (duck tape can hold a dog together pretty good in a pinch) on hand if needed as well as something ( antiseptic or sterile saline) to rinse wounds out with. Saline is great for flushing eyes as well. Sometimes having a muzzle handy is helpful in case you are trying to move or work with an animal in pain. The list could keep going but I would mostly focus on trying to get the animal situated well enough to get to a vet if/when needed. knowing where the closest vet is when you hunt and their hours could be very helpful in an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not going to lie with my shooting my dog seems to have plenty of down time lol all joking aside I always make sure I carry extra water with me and try to set up in the shade. I don't hunt very long either and if I do plan to hunt for awhile I make sure we take time off and relax and cool down. This is our first warm weather dove hunt. We did a late season dove hunt last year and duck hunting but it was way cooler then.

If your dog over heats all the first aid in the world won't do squat if you don't know how to use it.

Best first aid you can carry is your brain and truck keys to get your dog to someone who knows what they're doing.

Or leave 'em at home. You don't get bonus points for "rollin' with your dog" like y'all can't exist without one another.

I completely agree about the heat but I guess I am looking more along the lines of actual first aid type things.

Man, I saw a man freaking out as he carried his lifeless Boykin out of a field about twenty years ago. The next week he he told us that he never thought a small dog like that would have trouble in the heat (stupid). My 1year old lab hunted for 45 minutes in cloud cover and he stayed good and continued to drink water. Fortunately that is all we needed for our limit. He nvere stopped drinking water and was no worse for the wear. Had it not been overcast, he would have stayed crated in the shade.

Glenn, I have always heard that water (immersion not drinking) is really about all you can do to effectively cool them down, short of taking them to a professional. Is there something better than that in the short term? There are zero vets open Saturday afternoons in Florence and they disbanded the call system around here. I have a great friend that is a vet but for those that are not so fortunate, I think it would be great to help us amatuers understand what the sure first sign is for removing the dog from the field and the the best, first action for a hot dog. I know it is putting you on the spot, but you may save a dog's life. thanks, MG

BTW, my new dog after his first ever ~ 1hour session

fullsizeoutput_107.jpg
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 09-05-2018 at 09:57 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Not putting me on the spot at all.

Get 'em in the A/C. Water is a powerful insulator. DO NOT DUNK, SUBMERGE OR SOAK YOUR DOG IN WATER. Get them in the a/c ASAP with a fan blowing on them. When heat strokes hit my door we get them to the back in a 72 degree climate controlled building and put a fan on them. Their temps will drop from 108 to 102 within minutes of being inside with air circulation only. Alcohol on the ears and feet won't hurt but aren't needed. Cool air. That's it. And do that on the way to the closest ER Vet. Attempting to cool them with anything other than cool air can lead to hypothermia and lowering the temp too much which is just as bad.

Bottom line is KISS and don't try to get cute or creative. Truck, crank, A/C, Dog, inside. GO!

Oh, and having drinking water available will certainly give your dog something to drink but won't do didly squat for keeping him/her from overheating.

As far as other first aid items, I stand by my statement that unless you're trained on how to use it, when and why, the most you need is some bandage material and good directions to your closest E-clinic.

your yelp reviews suck
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I just Google the symptoms and take it from there. Who needs a Vet these days? When Ol' Drakester falls over, Google won't fail to give you all the advice that you can handle...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    your yelp reviews suck
    They should. I left most of them.

I bought a dog first aid kit from academy ??*??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Not putting me on the spot at all.

Get 'em in the A/C. Water is a powerful insulator. DO NOT DUNK, SUBMERGE OR SOAK YOUR DOG IN WATER. Get them in the a/c ASAP with a fan blowing on them. When heat strokes hit my door we get them to the back in a 72 degree climate controlled building and put a fan on them. Their temps will drop from 108 to 102 within minutes of being inside with air circulation only. Alcohol on the ears and feet won't hurt but aren't needed..
    I like the alcohol on the ears and feet, never heard it before. I have some big disposable alcohol wipes I am going to throw in my truck just for that occasion. I assume it is because of the incredible evaporation effect of alcohol. I have a box fan zip-tied to a crate at the house that I turn on after training session to cool the boy down. He loves it. I need to get a DC fan for the Suburban to use while the AC is catching up. My rule has been as long as they are voluntarily drinking water and their respiration is wihtin reason then I am alright. Of course, I no longer put my dog in direct sunlight for more than 15 mins regardless. Thanks Glenn. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Good stuff here fellas. MG thanks for asking and all BS aside thanks Glenn for the honest answers. I had a slow hunt both days this weekend so it wasn’t an issue for mine. Monday I drew a stand in full sun and just left mine in the truck with the ac running.

Glenn I read somewhere about a spray bottle with alcohol to use on their stomach as well as ears. Wasn’t aware of using on their feet. Does spraying it on their stomach help or is that useless ?

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post

Glenn I read somewhere about a spray bottle with alcohol to use on their stomach as well as ears. Wasn’t aware of using on their feet. Does spraying it on their stomach help or is that useless ?
    It’s been 20 years since I’ve taken a dog to a dove field so my recall may be off, but I thought the ‘wipe/spray with alcohol’ list included the inside of the ears, the bottoms of the feet inside the pads, the armpits, and the tummy. The intention obviously is to cool down the core along with the normal perspiration points... temporarily has you get to the AC and ET.

Yay... nay? Do the extra spots overdue it?

Good thread for all. Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Alcohol to the skin won’t hurt. Dogs regulate their body temp by panting and through the bottoms of their feet and ears. That’s why we try to increase the evaporative cooling rates in those areas with water for the mouth and alcohol on those other areas. So spraying the abdomen and pits won’t hurt but not sure how much it’ll help. You just have to be careful not to drop their temp too much or too fast. Good cool airflow is step and priority one.

congrats on trying to lead healthier lives
    for your dogs

I was not aware of the alcohol thing in the ears and pads. It is good to know. I definitely practice safe things with my dog but its just something good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    congrats on trying to lead healthier lives
    for your dogs
    Well I do like my dog better than most people.

no doubt