Thread: Redfishing the summer around Beaufort

Default Redfishing the summer around Beaufort

First off I know I need to take a charter. I am planning on it and soon.

I have done pretty well this summer catching them in the grass but since around July 15th or so the reds in the river have been slow. Working oyster beds, points, grass edges etc have produced but I know there are more fish to catch then I am catching. The trout have been consistent on topwater and twitch baits.

I trolled almost a mile of shoreline on the Broad on Monday morning and never saw a wake or reds busting bait. It’s a big difference from NC in that by late August and into September you could usually see reds crushing mullet.

I know the fish are there and I know the water is warm...but should I be fishing deeper than 2 feet of water? I have not fished the bottom in the creeks. I need to fish cut mullet around some of the docks more but I prefer using artificials and covering a lot of water. With the kids though cut mullet is my best option.

For the most part though I have completely avoided fishing anything deeper than 2’.

I also made the mistake of hitting the same spots that have really produced vice exploring new water. I have done more exploring the last few weeks.

Any pointers are appreciated. Like I said, I am planning a charter soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep curves with trees and docks.
    867-5309

Yep. I’ve been catching them deep off structure.

Less in the small creeks, more in the larger, deeper water.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Less in the small creeks, more in the larger, deeper water.
    Right on. I have just assumed the dolphin kept them out of the deeper water. I’m amazed how many fish will dump out on a flat though on a flood tide. Half the time they come out of a ditch the size of my kitchen table. I guess those fish are deep in between tides.

I've been catching them around Pritchards Island and around the docks on Coosaw. Deeper water early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Deep curves with trees and docks.
    Look on google maps for trees coming right up to the edge of the water on the outside of a creek bend, a dock there is even better. Best docks are those that hold water on low tide.

When the water gets hot fish get slower and I typically switch to bait on the bottom or a very slowly worked jig with something like gulp shrimp on it. This summer the fish have seemed to like shrimp over finger mullet for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bnicknad View Post
    I've been catching them around Pritchards Island and around the docks on Coosaw. Deeper water early in the morning.
    What’s considered “deep water”? 10+ feet?

I can think of 3-4 spots already in my neck of the woods in regards to creeks. My topspot map points to docks in September for sure.

Thanks fellas

I've been struggling with big (overslot) redfish recently. Found them stacked up on a particular dock last weekend. Nothing on almost all of them, but they weren't letting live or cut bait sit for a second in deep water on this dock.