Thread: OBX ducks

Default OBX ducks

Excuse me if this is the wrong forum but we're looking to hit the OBX for ducks this year. We are treating clients so it will be guided. I've been wanting to do this for years and have done some research but I was hoping for some advice/recomendations from guys that have been. Also considering trying to make it a cast and blast by sneaking in a tuna trip. TIA

Don’t go before the last 10 days of the season unless it freezes solid beforehand.

Thx. We were planning on late season. Any recommendation on guide services?

I’ve hunted with Vic Berg, Outer Banks Waterfowl for over 15 years. Shot a lot of ducks, and watched a lot of blue skies. Shot almost all the dozen or so Pintails I have shot over the years between 10am and 2pm. I’ve hunted up there from Thanksgiving through to the end of the season. I’ve watched the salt water freeze before my eyes, and swatted mosquitoes. You don’t need it frozen up north to shoot ducks. Look at the Pea Island Refuge and Bodie Island Lighthouse refuge duck numbers in November. They are there early and stay there. Buffleheads have saved a lot of otherwise Duck-less days. Then there’s days where you could cover the bottom of the boat with Pintails. www.outerbankswaterfowl.com

I've hunted with Brad Gurganus, he out of Swan Quarter. Brad does all he can for you and has good ground. One trip we took kids, that afternoon, Brad shows up out of the blue and ask the kids if they wanted to shoot some quail. We were blown away and the kids had a ball. He is also a capt. for the ferry, so may be able to help with fishing.

I've fished with Troy Boyd at Fowl Hooked. He's a good fella. I can't speak to it but he does waterfowl Oct-March.

Treat those clients to the height of luxury at the Driftwood Motel on Cedar Island!

Seriously, look up Vic Berg, and I feel sure he can point you to a Captain out of Oregon Inlet for the tunas. Several decent restaurants around, to boot.

I’ve used Parker’s before. They are ok, and you can kill ducks. Most of their guides are tuna charter captains, that hunt because they can’t fish then. Good luck with the inlet in the winter, it’s the most dangerous around for a reason.!!

Thanks for all the info

I hunted with one of Vic’s guys last time I was up, a couple of years ago. Roger Parker was his name. Good guy, full of good knowledge and information. He said if you want to catch Bluefins, said to keep your phone in your hand during February-March, and when the phone rings to come up, get there within 24 hours. You’ll catch them for sure then. January is the Striper run. Trucks and trailers line up for miles down the highway from having launched at Oregon Inlet.

Jeremy Hicks of Calypso Sportfishing charters or Jay Kavanagh of Bite Me Hatteras both are great charter captains and they are close friends. Jeremy use to mate for Jay before going out on his own. I've fished with them both and hunted with them out of Jay's curtain box....like all hunting out there its feast or fathom. had trips where it was world class and times where we bird watched till 3 pm. They don't guide commercially for hunting, but they'll put you on fish and provide a top notch recommendation for a duck guide.