Thread: Eyepiece

Default Eyepiece

I have been having some trouble with seeing in my scope at dusk dark...it seems to have a haze to it...i was wondering if anyone uses the rubber eyepiece to block light? Does it help. My vision is fine. Sun sets over my right shoulder in my rifle stand...scope is a 3x10x56 trijicon accupower.

The Europeans use those quite regularly. The haze most often occurs for me when scoping in the direction from where the radiant light of sun or moon is strongest. Typically your scope picture is washed out by the ambient light and your eye becomes confused on which light to focus upon. I tried one of the eyepieces but found it to be more cumbersome in actual field work than not. The advantage just wasn't there for me. You might want to adjust your diopter / reticle focus at that hour and see if you can get a better picture as you say the set is behind you.
    Last edited by Strick9; 09-04-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Genesis 9;2

I will try that. I always adjust when i first climb in.. could the sun over my back be my issue? I shoot to hunt. I do make sure im on target...but thought maybe some of you regular shooters and optics guys could lead me

There are two things that can blow-out the image through optics - 1) a backlit subject or 2) light from behind the optics reflecting off of the eye piece into the eye.

From your description, I think you might be getting light from behind you reflecting off of your eyepiece. It's easy to test, just cup your hand around the eye end of the scope and hold your face to your hand if the image gets clear you'll have to find a rubber eye cup that you don't mind or get a new scope. More expesive scopes have lens coatings that reduce reflected light - kind of like the "muesum" glass used on picture frames.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

So would you consider the accupower decent? Or could new glass make a huge difference?

I have one of the rubber eye shrouds you mention. I used it back when I typically hunted until the very end of legal shooting time. It did help somewhat by blocking all ambient light and letting your eye gather every little bit of image from the scope. I don't really push the limit much anymore and haven't used it in a while.

The accupower is fine glass to me its about a 7. All eyes are different. Rubberhead made mention to a valid point. You should do that or cut a paper towel tube about the same length as your eye relief and see if that helps before buying anything or just the hand trick. If that doesn't help have someone else look though it and make sure its not your eyes.
    Genesis 9;2

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Just for grins, have you checked to make sure that the lenses are clean AND there is not a film on the INSIDE of your lens, indicating a possible gas leak and moisture intrusion? Easy way to check is under good indoor lighting, shine a bright light into the lens from the side of the lens at about a 45 degree angle. If there is a significant film there, you will see it. Note: you don't look "through" the scope to do this. Just look from about a foot away like you were looking at your watch, then look slowly from side to side. Check ocular and objective lenses. If a film is there, it can really wash out a image under the right circumstances. I have seen this before. It might be a bit of a longshot, but is something to check.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Ive moved the stand this year and never had an issue till now that the sun down is at my back..so im hoping its a light/glare issue

crank your scope down to lowest power should help a bit.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power & Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), US Palma & Dewar Teams , Formerly US Army Picatinny Arsenal Small Cal Wpns Lab, Spec Projects Group Dover Devil Cal 50 Machinegun , Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Prov Gnd, Member Int Wound Ballistics Assn., consultant to Fed Law Enf Tng Ctr, Glynco, US Border Pat, Defense Crim Inv Service, Army Munitions and Chem Cmd, Army Wound Ballistics Lab, NRA Life 1972, AC4HT, Firefighter 1, Shriner