Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How was everyone's dove opener?

I meant to ask you how many birds your pup picked up Saturday MM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I meant to ask you how many birds your pup picked up Saturday MM.
    Between me and a fella close by, I say she picked up about 12. The birds she marked, about half, she was on with a quickness. The rest I had to walk out with her and tell her to hunt, which she did well at. The last retrieve of the day was the money maker though. Shot a bird that sailed down about 80 yards across cut corn. She watched it go down and I sent her. She spent a literal 5 minutes hunting the area of the fall and just as I was about to go out there and help her look, she found it and made her way back. I was very impressed with her and expected worse from a first hunt.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

That's awesome. Definitely a good sign there!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Yes sir. I am pretty excited about the rest of the season. We will keep training on the week days and get some real work in on the weekends. Gonna be a good year.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartin View Post
    Dirty faces and hands full of doves. My boys had a blast. 2 of them shot their first doves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

FCEA8CC2-3ABD-4E7F-A9C7-1132BD111ECD.jpeg
    1151D4B1-DBA1-4920-AFBF-79138BBDC1C6.jpeg
    E5692598-9427-47E5-9E5E-9275E0851882.jpg
    Had a great hunt and fellowship. Brought the whole family and spent the weekend with a great host and friend. Picked up 14 shooting an O/U .410.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

As far as harvesting went my opening weekend was horrible but I did enjoy the time in the field. I went to a public dove field that was a draw. Was 8th in line and got drawn 24 there was only another 11 groups behind us. We didn't get to our field until 830 and the way the field was set up we had to sit facing into the morning sun which hurt us being able to see. I only got one shot and of course I missed lol. I went to a different public dove field yesterday evening and seen a good amount of birds but they were just dropping short of giving me a shot. I got a couple shots with no luck (they were hail marry shots). There was only me and one other guy on this field and we just couldn't keep the birds up so it made it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDog View Post
    Yall couldn’t get Metz to smile?
    That joker killed about 3 nattys to every bird he killed (nothing wrong with that)... Not saying he wasnt happy, i just dont know if he knew what was going on..

How do doves eat compared to, say, wahoo, ribeyes and venison? Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Those are some fine shotguns. Tell me about them.
    Ithaca NID 16ga and Model 21 12 ga.

2 good shoots and 1 great shoot. Mama got my retriever home from the beach in time for her to make it yesterday

Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Between me and a fella close by, I say she picked up about 12. The birds she marked, about half, she was on with a quickness. The rest I had to walk out with her and tell her to hunt, which she did well at. The last retrieve of the day was the money maker though. Shot a bird that sailed down about 80 yards across cut corn. She watched it go down and I sent her. She spent a literal 5 minutes hunting the area of the fall and just as I was about to go out there and help her look, she found it and made her way back. I was very impressed with her and expected worse from a first hunt.
    I witnessed them all and that last retrieve was a damn good one. She’s a good looking young dog

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Ithaca NID 16ga and Model 21 12 ga.
    The NID 16 was built in 1936 and purchased from Beaufort Hardware by Swampknob's great grandfather in 1937. My Uncle gave me the original hang tag one year for Christmas 28" barrels Mod & Full, extractors and DT. That gun killed a lot birds on the Sea Islands around Beaufort and lot of ducks on the Combahee and in the salt marsh. We also have it's irish twin sister (was built one year later). Ii belonged to Swampknob's great great uncle.

The Model 21 was built in 1935. 30" barrels, now with Briley tubes, ejectors, and DT. It took a lot of looking to find a 21 in this configuration. At some point in it's life (before I bought it in 1997), it was re-stocked. The new stock remained true to the early Model 21 "canoe paddle" stock configuration.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    How do doves eat compared to, say, wahoo, ribeyes and venison? Serious question.
    Very comparable to Venison among that list. I think they’re excellent.