Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How was everyone's dove opener?

Default How was everyone's dove opener?

Didn't wanna detract from other's success on their threads, so figured I'd start a community one.

So how did everyone else do?

Me and Silverback were invited to a buddy's place where he made his first attempt at planting his own sunflower field on a new piece of land he bought in the early spring. Crop was impressive, especially for a first attempt. He worked tirelessly at plowing, planting, spraying, bush hogging, etc. We got a nice little thunder shower about 4 or so that dropped rain hard for about 30 minutes. It cooled things off a bit and got a breeze blowing then the birds really started flying all of the sudden. Left with 8 birds and didn't lose a one. Had my 6yo daughter and 5yo son with me, son's first hunt. Their patience run thin for a bit, the heat and flies were out in full force, but they endured and really were troopers.

Here's a couple from the field.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-04-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

IMG_2692.JPG

Tagged along with some friends. Had a good shoot, would have been better if I could shoot a little better. Still fun nonetheless left with eight birds.
    Last edited by smitch320; 09-02-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Epic
    More fuel = more boost!!

Looking forward to tomorrow...
    More fuel = more boost!!

Had a great opening day at my field. Had 8 people shoot and everyone got there limit. Great time with family and friends. Can’t wait until my son is old enough to shoot him a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Worked all weekend. Didn't shoot. I'm off tomorrow so if anyone in the low country needs another gun I'm can pay you in BBQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Limit yesterday, today, and hopefully again tomorrow.

Had a great shoot yesterday afternoon, going to shoot our own field tomorrow and hopefully the birds cooperate.
    I cooked some birds up this evening in typical SC redneck fashion, jalapeño, cream cheese, and bacon. But instead of throwing them on the grill I dusted them in a little flower and fried them. I think I'll continue to do it that way from here on out.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

It sucked for me no where to hunt so I rode a tractor for 10 hours bush hogging. On the plus side I did make $650 doing the job.

7 guns 92 birds. 5 limited. Other two were late. We left when they really started pouring in.
    Go Tigers!!!

Mine sucked yesterday also
    Went to the river today
    Think I’m going on a shoot tomorrow so maybe that will make up for Saturday

FF0593AC-4847-49A4-A689-46854683740B.jpg

We did decent yesterday

1FB89F07-8A2C-4D20-BC44-BB78516CF3BA.jpg

Caught a good many fish today, but very few were in the slot.

Had a good day today! Was more impressed with my dog and how well he did yesterday and today. Got a blind yesterday, a 50 yard plus retrieve that fell behind a tree, and found a few for some other fokes! Also stayed steady!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by darealdeal; 09-02-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I killed my birds pretty quickly, never really left the shade.. looked dashing doing it I might add. I grilled and ate some hamburgers, all of that normal stuff. I think we had twenty five or so in the field, done really before 430. Solid day, as I was wrapping up picking the last of the birds a nice thunderstorm came in. First rain in 16 days, shout out, didn't get any at the house though.

We got a good rain yesterday evening at the club. Needed it bad that’s for sure. Looking forward to some grits, gravy, and dove birds for breakfast next Sat after the morning shoot.
    More fuel = more boost!!

My wife took the children to the beach Friday morning. I have had one good shoot and one great shoot with another pending today. I have eaten doves twice, played golf with good friends, watched football, and had some cold beers and decent bourbons. It has not been a bad weekend.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Had a great shoot yesterday afternoon, going to shoot our own field tomorrow and hopefully the birds cooperate.
    I cooked some birds up this evening in typical SC redneck fashion, jalapeño, cream cheese, and bacon. But instead of throwing them on the grill I dusted them in a little flower and fried them. I think I'll continue to do it that way from here on out.
    Didn’t have any of the above mentioned ingredients but we wrapped about 5 in bacon and then hit em with some sriracha at the end. It was pretty good. It was too dang hot Saturday to cook more than a taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk