Thread: Boat set up questions

Default Boat set up questions

First off, I'm running a 656 Ambush elite, 2007 Yamaha 2 stroke 50 with a 15p quicksilver prop thats been dinged up and then worked back smooth. Vance kick plate and jack plate, cav plate about 1.75 inches above the bottom of the boat when level. Two batteries and gas tank in the back. Was running 5200 rpms with a 16p Quicksilver prop, not sure with the 15p because the tach finally gave out today. I'm at 41/42 mph before it starts bouncing too much, and if I trim a bit more, itll start to blow out. I can run 39 easy with no bounce, and 36 before I hit the trim at all. Have I pulled about all the speed I can out of the boat, or is there a decent bit left? It jumps on plane well now, and if trimmed down still turns without blowing out. Should I try a 14p next? Will the drop in pitch but increase in rpms keep me at the same place? Am I wasting my time chasing the next mph or two? The boat only ran 33 with a Powertech SCB 15 when I got it, so I've enjoyed playing with the set up, but now I'm not quite sure where to quit. Anyone running a similar set up? What speed if so?

First thing I would try is drop the motor just a lil and play with the motor height...u may be able to get a lil more trim and possibly a tad more speed.... once u trim your prop losing bite (picking up and dropping the front end)... but that’s really not too bad with that size boat with a stock motor...oh and different props are gonna like different motor heights
    Last edited by winyah_82; 09-01-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Put a little weight up in the bow and see what that does. Might allow for a little more trim allowing it to hold a touch more speed before it starts to porpoise.

I think that is the same hull civic cock has.... He'll be along shortly to advise.

It will like a Yamaha black stainless prop the best I bet.

There is a little more speed in it I'd say...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

You need to be 5600 rps or so empty. I had a 50 like yours on a 1650 xpress and webt to a 13p. It actually ran faster than 14 and 15 and lost very little loaded down. I think the prop i had on mine was a powertech scb
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I guess I'll try moving at least one of the batteries up front, which I've been meaning to do for a minute anyways. If the 16p prop was at 5200, then 14 should be about right. I've been trying to play with the set up first before I started switching props, but I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the Yamaha one.

Pm civil cock... He went thru all this in the last year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

14 should put you close. Danny from refuge told me one of the powertechs was a copy of the yamaha black stainless but wouldnt run with thr yamaha. My old boat was prob a good bit heavier than yours hence the 13 pitch
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Yamaha Black Stainless 14 pitch or 14 pitch SRD. Its running pretty good since your breaking 40 mph and mine 1652 would not run like with a 1998 yamaha 50hp with any set up I tried. I have a 14 SRD you more than welcome to try, they run higher than the YBS.

My boat still hops and considering adding trim tabs or feathering the existing tabs with more epoxy. Weight location does not really help a whole lot either, cav plate did not really help. I will be trying a 4 blade Powertech TRO 19 pitch if I can find one on a deal.

I did notice that if your slower on the trim, and let the boat set between adjustments the boat will not hop but just trimming it up will cause it to hop around.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil-Cock View Post
    Yamaha Black Stainless 14 pitch or 14 pitch SRD. Its running pretty good since your breaking 40 mph and mine 1652 would not run like with a 1998 yamaha 50hp with any set up I tried. I have a 14 SRD you more than welcome to try, they run higher than the YBS.

My boat still hops and considering adding trim tabs or feathering the existing tabs with more epoxy. Weight location does not really help a whole lot either, cav plate did not really help. I will be trying a 4 blade Powertech TRO 19 pitch if I can find one on a deal.

I did notice that if your slower on the trim, and let the boat set between adjustments the boat will not hop but just trimming it up will cause it to hop around.
    restatrting this alittle bit but wondering if yall could help...I got a 656 elite ambush with a 50 tohatsu, its got the normal stock prop and i wanna go to a better prop. I ran the 16p scb prop and got 42 @ 5500rpm. Wondering if i should pitch down to a 15p scb or srd or ybs...any help is appreciated