Thread: Huge coral reef off SC

Default Huge coral reef off SC

Interesting. This thing sounds like it is right around a well known area that used to produce a shit ton of swordfish back in the day...

For thousands of years — perhaps hundreds of thousands — a sizable coral reef has stretched across the seafloor in the Atlantic Ocean, near the southeastern part of the U.S. And its existence remained a well-hidden secret until a recent deep-sea expedition brought the thriving ecosystem to light.

Scientists on board the research vessel (RV) Atlantis discovered the reef last week, about 160 miles (257 kilometers) off the coast of Charleston, South Carolina, the HuffPost reported. Cameras on a submersible deployed from Atlanis — the human-operated vehicle (HOV) Alvin — captured the unexpected sight of dense, cold-water coral populations seeding the sea bottom about 0.5 miles (0.8 km) below the ocean surface.

The site was covered with living corals — "just mountains of it" — growing atop the massive, skeletal remains of dead corals that had likely been inhabiting the area for millennia, expedition lead scientist Erik Cordes, an associate professor in the Department of Biology at Temple University in Philadelphia, told the HuffPost. [In Photos: Diving in a Twilight Coral Reef]

Scientists used Alvin to explore the reef and collect coral samples during dives on Aug. 23 and Aug. 24, according to the HuffPost. The researchers discovered copious amounts of Lophelia pertusa, a branching, whitish coral that prefers cold waters and that has previously been found growing at record depths in the Gulf of Mexico.

While tropical corals typically rely on symbiotic algae to survive, L. pertusa does not, and it uses stinging tentacles to stun its prey and guide food into its stomach, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The submersible Alvin is lowered into the water, where swimmers will disconnect the lines and communicate with the pilot inside to ensure that the sub is ready for descent.
    The submersible Alvin is lowered into the water, where swimmers will disconnect the lines and communicate with the pilot inside to ensure that the sub is ready for descent.
    Credit: Image courtesy of Deep SEARCH 2018/BOEM/USGS/NOAA

Corals detected by the Atlantis were found about 16 miles (26 km) to the northwest of corals found earlier this summer by the NOAA RV Okeanos Explorer, which was mapping hundreds of seamounts on the ocean floor, HuffPost reported. Together, the coral-covered area explored by Okeanos and the Atlantis extends for an estimated 85 miles (137 km), layered with enormous, rocky piles of dead coral that likely accumulated over many thousands of years, Cordes told HuffPost.

The RV Atlantis embarked on its 15-day expedition on Aug. 19, part of a 4.5-year collaborative project known as the Deep Sea Exploration and Research of Coral/Canyon/Cold seep Habitats (Deep SEARCH), according to the mission website.

Until Sept. 2, scientists on the Atlantis will explore deep-sea habitats near the southeastern coastal U.S. They will collect critical data on the distribution of ecosystems and wildlife of the sea bottom in order to more accurately predict how these fragile communities could be disrupted by human activity, NOAA reported on the Deep SEARCH website.

https://www.livescience.com/63442-ne...eef-found.html

Very cool.

Gonna be coming in on fumes. Bet that’s where the YFT are.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I will have room for one other person, unless two skinnies.. I'd rather have a normal sized fella, around my size though in the boat. Weaklings would be useless reeling after pouring the fifteenth gas can..

Gonna need a Lindgren Pitman

LP and Fuel Bladder or two on a smaller boat. I'd love to go spend a few days fishing out there.

Think I can get out there in a 21 foot boat? What safety equipment would you recommend?

Freeman 42LR
    "run and gun guide service"

Well now that we know about it, we will definitely fuck it up!
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Well now that we know about it, we will definitely fuck it up!
    Hahah this is funny and not funny all at the same time....and also most certainly true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Good thing...cause the Great Barrier is just about bleached out.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Probably all the sunscreen from the frolicking sheilas...

I love to fish, but anything 160 miles offshore is in no danger from me.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

So they can find coral reefs half a mile deep but can't seem to locate the millions of red snapper in 100ft.

Because this is how the biologist listen to the facts.