Thread: Food Plot Question

Default Food Plot Question

This has probably been covered in here at some point, but, here goes. Assuming you did all the stuff they tell you to do, soil test, spray, good seed bed, etc. how do you guys cover your wheat or oats for your food plots? Do you just run a disc harrow back over or do you simply drag them in? We usually chisel plow, go behind with a 5 foot tiller, spread our seed and drag in with ATV pull behind drag. I'm wondering if we are getting them deep enough. Has anyone had any luck spreading the seed then just barely scratching the surface with their tractor tiller. Thanks!

Disc, top sew, then drag and old box spring behind the four wheeler. Prettiest food plots you ever saw!

Oats do not need to be deep at all

If you have access to a cultipacker that would be the way to go. Other methods I've seen is like mention before drag in with a drag on lightly disc back over them.

Key to small grains is an even level seed bed. Cultipacker like mentioned above is ideal but fence drag or the like will also work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Only a limited experience with forage oats but the advice I got was great. Soaked the seed in water before broadcasting it and then lightly raked it in. It jumped quickly.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Drag them in
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

planting depth is your key.

pretty good advice above.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks guys. Basically keep doing what we're doing. I need to rig up a better drag and that will likely help the situation.

I ran a test using the prefecta field cultivator last week to plant 2 acres. Ran it across oats that had been spread with spin spreader. I will report back with pictures of the stand once available. I will do the same with wheat a little later in the fall.

I used to drag everything in but recently build a field cultivator with l danish s tines, leveling bar and cultipacker in order. It worked great with brown top millet. It also has a grain drill box that I plan to drop seed with once I figure out the best drive mechanism. Leaning toward hydraulic motor right now.
    Last edited by Smilee; 08-27-2018 at 03:18 PM.

run a tiller about an inch deep
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Quote Originally Posted by Featherduster View Post

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    Thanks guys. Basically keep doing what we're doing. I need to rig up a better drag and that will likely help the situation.
    The old mattress is an interesting idea. But pretty easy to find some scrap chain link and a couple of boards to stretch it out both front and back

Checked yesterday and the oats and clay peas have sprouted. I covered with a Perfecta after broadcasting. Pictures once it greens up enough to see in a picture. Planted it Friday last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Featherduster View Post
    not possible unless prepared perfectly. i think that is what others are commenting with seed depth.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Disc, top sew, then drag and old box spring behind the four wheeler. Prettiest food plots you ever saw!
    We do this, but with two pallets behind a 4wheeler, vs a box spring. pallets typically fill up with dirt and seem to have enough weight to smooth it out. works well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    I ran a test using the prefecta field cultivator last week to plant 2 acres. Ran it across oats that had been spread with spin spreader. I will report back with pictures of the stand once available. I will do the same with wheat a little later in the fall.

I used to drag everything in but recently build a field cultivator with l danish s tines, leveling bar and cultipacker in order. It worked great with brown top millet. It also has a grain drill box that I plan to drop seed with once I figure out the best drive mechanism. Leaning toward hydraulic motor right now.
    Do you find the Perfecta needs a cultipacker in addition to the leveling bar? I've been using a spiked drag harrow and the perfecta has caught my eye. I never thought about one with a seed box.

Thought I'd give an update on my original question about covering my oats in my food plot. We srayed the field, hit it with a chisel plow a week later, then hit it with a tiller another week later and planted that same day. With part of the field, we put out the wheat and oats and then lightly hit them with the tiller to cover them. On the other sections, we just drug in the wheat and oats with a drag behind the 4 wheeler. I'd have to say that the sections we tilled in are coming up much better than the sections we drug in with the pull behind drag. If you have access to a tiller, it did the trick for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Do you find the Perfecta needs a cultipacker in addition to the leveling bar? I've been using a spiked drag harrow and the perfecta has caught my eye. I never thought about one with a seed box.
    I’ve run a spiked tooth drag as well for years. Picture below is the oats I planted but the peas are mostly gone from browsing. I ran the disc, spread seed/fertilizer and finished with perfecta. 8-10” tall combine run oats. Deer are in them every evening.
    Attached Images Attached Images