Thread: Spotting scope

Default Spotting scope

Is there any decent reasonable priced one out there or are cheaper ones just a waste of money?
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Depends on what you are using it for. If you need one to see hit on a target at a few hundred yards the cheap ones work fine. But if your trying to see bullet trail at 1k then you will have to step up to qualify spotting scope.

I looked through a Bushnell and Zeiss spotting scopes at an outdoor show. The Thermacell booth was 70 yards away. You could read the small print on the back of the Thermacell box with the Zeiss. You didn’t even know there was small print with the Bushnell. Quality optics are worth the money.

Looking for one to use scouting ducks and geese. Something to use up north or out west. Looking a good distance, something to distinguish a mallard from a pintail at a fair distance.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

I’d spend the money, and get quality. A buddy of mine in Washington has a Zeiss. Uses it to look for ducks to scull on. Makes spotting hybrids a lot easier too with quality optics.

Decades of scouting ducks and I have never heard anyone say, boy I wish I had a spotting scope...

I have a cheap ass Redfield. It gets used every now and then. It stays at 20x 99% of the time. It works for what I use it for which is spotting impacts or trace.

For scouting ducks I would suggest a good set of binos.
    Last edited by b-stick; 08-26-2018 at 01:51 PM.