Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Son’s first fishing trip

Default Son’s first fishing trip

I’m planning to take my two year old out on his first fishing trip next weekend on Lake Murray. All my life I have had my grandparent’s pond to bream fish in, but that is no longer an option for us. I have never bream fished anywhere else, so this will be new for he and I both. I figured take both worms and crickets for bait, although I’ve always had terrible luck with worms. How deep should I adjust his bobber for? I’ve always had it at about 2’ deep, and wore them out at the pond. Thanks for any input.

Make it easy and fun, don’t overthink it. He’ll have fun just being out with you. At 2 he’s got the attention span of a knat and will be done in 30 minutes. Don’t stress, it takes a while, just enjoy it. Damn they grow up fast.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

He has definitely been growing up fast. He turned two the end of January. Was taking him duck hunting at one year old and he loved it. Tried fishing with him at the beach in June, but fishing from the dock, he could go back to the house. He loves being in the boat, and figured we can ride around some too. Hopefully the bream will cooperate.

2-3’ around the edges, fallen trees and docs. You’ll be fine.

Try some pieces of night crawlers with split shot on the bottom. White bass will usually pick them up. If you are going to be down the lake near clouds creek shoot me a PM and I’ll send you some pins.

Just look out for the idiots. They'll be thick for Labor Day Weekend.

Britton, I don’t plan on being that far up. Thinking I will put in at Larry Koon. My plan is to get out there early that morning, fish for a bit, and get off the water by 10, so we hopefully avoid the idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Make it easy and fun, don’t overthink it. He’ll have fun just being out with you. At 2 he’s got the attention span of a knat and will be done in 30 minutes. Don’t stress, it takes a while, just enjoy it. Damn they grow up fast.
    Fact. In his mind, your son's already on house money. Catching some a fish or two would just be gravy on top. Be sure to give us a report, and post up some pics.

Main reason I wish I owned a pond. I applaud anyone that offers this kid a trip to a private bream hole.

Why not go to my pond, it’s stocked and I would like to see a bream get mounted

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTrooper View Post
    Why not go to my pond, it’s stocked and I would like to see a bream get mounted
    We can do that! That’s what I’m going to do, mount his first fish. I’ll touch base next week. Still got to bring those birds by your place too.

You know this because you’ve raised him for 2 years. Make it fun. Fish are fun, but so are worms, and riding in the front of the truck, and sitting on the toolbox, and looking for tracks, and clouds, and corks, and splashing in the water, and ospreys and 75 million other things.

Chocolate bars and capris suns
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Chris holla at me anytime we can take him to my pond in swansea
    Last edited by coot nasty; 08-25-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Have plenty of snacks as mentioned and forget about the bream unless he’s really focused on that. Your job is to have fun. IF that includes catching fish then so be it.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

I don't remember a lot of fish from my earliest fishing trips with Dad (not saying we didn't catch them because we did but the fish didn't seem important at the time)..
    What I do remember most is the can Pepsi and pack of peanuts he ALWAYS got me at the gas station and when it would rain we would back the truck up on the pond dam and sit on the tailgate with the camper cover keeping us dry.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

A friend and I take our 2 year olds every so often. We only fish until they start getting tired of it. I go by the store and take my daughter to get crickets and honeybuns. When the kids start getting tired of fishing we’ll give them a few rubber worms and take them on a boat ride. They love going and my daughter will wake up saying she wants to go fishing in daddy’s boat.

Not sure if you've already gone or not. A 2 year old ain't gonna remember the trip so don't worry about getting into a bunch fish. Any fish will do. Not saying don't take him, do so and often but just realize this is more for you at this point than him. Drop a worm around a dock somewhere and watch a bobber till he is bored with it and then go home. Don't make it work. When he gets a couple years older and you want to get him into a bunch of fish then take up some of these offers to hit bream ponds around May, mine included, before it gets to 95 degrees.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Main reason I wish I owned a pond. I applaud anyone that offers this kid a trip to a private bream hole.
    I have a pond. You have a turkey place

Took Fowler yesterday and met up with Palmetto Trooper at his place and we did some bream fishing. Beautiful place he has, and the bream are pretty happy to eat some crickets. He ended up catching five. Thanks again PT! Fowler was talking about it all night.

27BFA68E-03CD-4829-9C55-8C5B0F0FE818.jpg

Good stuff!
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...