Thread: Table Saw Advice Needed

Default Table Saw Advice Needed

We are in the market for a large table saw. I have very limited knowledge of these and I don't think the ones I have seen at Lowes and Home Depot will do what we need every now and then. I think my only option is one that is stationary and can run on single phase.

Occasionally, we will have to make repairs to rice trunk decking, muzzles, bulkheads etc. I would like to purchase a saw that can handle 3-4" thick, treated wood easily. The majority of the saw's time will be used under normal conditions.

It was recommended to me that I look at a Grizzly G 0605x1 and a Jet JTAS-12-DX. I did and the prices are over my budget. But I don't want to purchase an undersized table saw then realize that I needed a larger one.

Would I need a 12" like the two recommended or is there a 10" size that would work? Horsepower?

Mann Tool in Columbia is a Jet Dealer and it looks like they have a good showroom. Is there another place? Anywhere to purchase used equipment?

Thank you!

Grizzly is good stuff...as far as working on trunk stuff...I wouldn't go any smaller than 12
    Last edited by HEAD; 08-21-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

I would recommend 5HP and up. And 3 phase if you're set up for it. JET is basically a Powermatic copy now at a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I understand your budget, but what would your time be worth if the machine was down or had to be replaced outside of warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosscat View Post
    I would recommend 5HP and up. And 3 phase if you're set up for it. JET is basically a Powermatic copy now at a fraction of the cost.

No, it isn't. Powermatic, Oliver and Sawstop are the premier saws on the market right now and Jet isn't even close. The drive and trunions on the Powermatic are much heavier, the bearings are a higher quality, the castings are heavier and the fence is much better. The Jet isn't a bad saw at all but is more in line with the Grizzly, Shop Fox, North State and Woodtech. Laguna makes a good saw as well but it has a funky movement for blade height change that I'm not sold on. And the Delta Unisaw is the standard though I'd rather have one of the older ones than the new models.

Heavy wood like that you need a 5hp 3ph at the least and you won't be cutting 4" on anything safely, that is a two pass job unless you want to get hurt. I've got a 5hp 3ph saw and use to think I was a badass because it would cut a 3" piece of oak, right up until it threw one at me.

Honestly for what you are describing, a big bandsaw with a resaw blade might be a better option for you.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 08-23-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

JET, Grizzly, Shop Fox, North State, Woodtech and a few others are made in the same factory in Taiwan BTW.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Thanks for the info. I run SawStop saws but didn't think it was worth noting regarding his price range.

I also have a 14” DeWalt Radial Arm Saw with a rotating head that would probably be ideal. It’s got an 8hp 3ph motor and a 6” cut depth capacity. Plus I can get it in your budget. Can even throw in a 3ph converter.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 08-21-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Thank yall for this info! Down time is always a consideration. For us, not so much working on a small project but if a trunk has to be repaired, time matters.

I did not even consider a band saw. Now I am. Maybe a smaller table saw and a band saw is something to look at.

The little wood room we have off our stable building only has one 220 plug. I'm no electrician either but could that converter make that run on our power supply?

Depends on wire and breaker sizes but we run 5, 7.5 , and 10 hp 3phase motors off 230v single with a phase converter all the time. Check FLA and start up amps on the saw
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Blakeley View Post
    Thank yall for this info! Down time is always a consideration. For us, not so much working on a small project but if a trunk has to be repaired, time matters.

I did not even consider a band saw. Now I am. Maybe a smaller table saw and a band saw is something to look at.

The little wood room we have off our stable building only has one 220 plug. I'm no electrician either but could that converter make that run on our power supply?
    If you have room in the box you can easily add a dedicated circuit on 220. You can then wire in a phase converter or a static converter to run it. Bear in mind that converters actually decrease the peak hp of the motor by 25-33%. It’s still going to have more than most single phase though.

That RAS I have sounds like a jet when you mash the red button and will cut anything made of wood without breaking a sweat. I’m not intimidated by any shop equipment but I got a hell of a lot of respect for that one.

Thanks guys! I'll have to get an electrician out here to check and see what we can do with that old box.

H and H
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I don't know of this would help, but it's in my attic and never been opened.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk