Thread: Well filtration

Default Well filtration

I bought a house in summerville that is on a well. The water tastes weird (sulphur). I am going to tear the frankenstein copper/cpvc/poly plumbing out and replumb with probably pex (unless you guys say cpvc is better for a well). Learn me on filtration systems. Right now there is one canister filter that looks like it has never been changed. I am going to replace everything from the expansion tank that is under the house to all the fixtures. Thanks.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

You should look into a sediment tank before the water filter as well. That will help with this sandy soil.

I'd run cpvc if it were me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ive got a big expensive filtration system that big brother gave me for mine but wouldn't fit in my room with tank. You can have it if you want to come to sumter and get it out of my way. Or anyone for that matter.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    I'd run cpvc if it were me.

CPVC is terrible. After a few years exposure, to not even direct sunlight, it gets brittle and cracks. Pex pipe is a much better option. Uponor Pex is your best option in my opinion.

It shouldn't ever be in sunlight. I've seen pex less than ten years old crack and leak. It's glorified poly. Cpvc is not made to be flexible. It should be secured and insulated if not interior.

You're correct. It "shouldn't" be in sunlight, but it happens everyday. Since he is talking about a well, there is an even greater chance of direct uv exposure. Pex pipe is better than cpvc because of its flexibility during extreme temps... hot or cold.

I've seen cpvc not last 6 months and I've seen pex failures too. None of them are perfect, but Pex > CPVC

deeper well

City water not available?

I have 5-10 calls a year where CPVC has broken after someone has tried turning the stop off at a toilet or sink. CPVC get brittle and you’re f’ed if it freezes. I’m amazed that stuff is still sold

I have a well with pex plumbing and an in-line 5 micron filtration system. I change the filter about every 2-3 months. Good clean well water with no odor or nasty taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Summer DucK View Post
    City water not available?
    Fuck City water. They own you and it has FLOURIDE in it. Sorry 2th
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Ive got a big expensive filtration system that big brother gave me for mine but wouldn't fit in my room with tank. You can have it if you want to come to sumter and get it out of my way. Or anyone for that matter.
    I'm your huckleberry

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Uponor Pex is your best option in my opinion.
    So where could one acquire this magic pex you speak of?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Hubbard carries it. The pipe and fittings have a 25 year warranty. The only caveat for you will be you don't have the expansion tool for the fittings. You can still use crimp fittings on uponor. It's just not how their system is designed. Call me and Ill explain more.